It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

Need advice for my 11 year old

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Positivethinkin
(female)

Positivethinkin HB User
Need advice for my 11 year old

Hello

I have an 11 year old daughter who is suffering with depression and anxiety. She was in the hospital for a few days because she said she was having some self harming thoughts. She is now in an outpatient program all day Monday-Friday. She has been getting worse since starting this outpatient program, she keeps telling them different ways she is thinking about hurting herself and now she has started saying she thinks somebody is after her. Because she is getting worse since starting this outpatient program it makes me want to ask the following question:

The outpatient program has my 11 year old daughter in a discussion group where they discuss their mental health issues with kids as old as 17. She has told me some of what has been discussed by the older teens and it makes me feel that it is not a good idea for my 11 year old to be in a mental health discussion group with this old of teens. Should I be concerned with her being in this discussion group with 17 year olds?

I would appreciate your response to my question and if you think this question should be asked on a different health board please let me know? I love my daughter so much just trying to go down the best treatment path for her.

Thank you
Postivethinkin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Need advice for my 11 year old

If it were my daughter I would be concerned about the type of conversation taking place between 17 year olds and the appropriateness for an 11 year old to hear it.

I have a 17 year old and a 12 year old, I do not let the 12 year old listen when I am having conversations about most things with the 17 year old and neither of them have mental health issues.

Can you talk to the outpatient administrator and express your concerns? See if they have a more pediatric group your daughter can be in or if there is another facility that does, or even one on one instead of group? You are not wrong to be concerned.

Think about what you did when you were 11 and then think about where you were when you were 17...kids these days are doing everything sooner, but with your daughter's best interest being the point of this, I would definitely explore your options.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. It must be very scary and difficult for you. I hope you have your own support system.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Positivethinkin
(female)

Positivethinkin HB User

Thank you so much for your reply I so appreciate it. I was hoping my concerns made sense. I am going to find a program that will either allow one on one meetings or talk with kids her age. I didn’t have her go to the outpatient program today and she is doing really good today. Thank you again for your help.
Wishing you the best,
Positivethinkin

Last edited by Positivethinkin; 11-03-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Best to you and your daughter as well. I think you are doing the right thing!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
sw403
(female)

sw403 HB User

I know that some groups (that I have been to), the discussion can trigger negative emotions. I wonder if that is what may be happening with your daughter's group (in addition to the age mismatch). I have found it's important to balance discussion of negative things with positive, focusing on building empathy for ourselves and others, and building up our good feelings about ourselves and our healing. Otherwise we can get very negative very quickly (those of us who suffer from depression).

I think you are wise to find a program that will either allow one on one meetings or talk with kids her age. One suggestion I have is to look for therapists who work on building up self-empathy and self-love. There are newer approaches to depression treatment that may be helpful to your daughter if she is not already being exposed to them (e.g, I am currently trying neurofeedback although it is too early to tell if it will help me). Wishing that she feels better very soon.

Last edited by sw403; 11-05-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Positivethinkin
(female)

Positivethinkin HB User

Thank you very much for your feedback sw403. After leaving the negative talking group with older kids my daughter is doing much better. I really appreciate your feedback. Wishing the best, I hope you feel better too.

The following user gives a hug of support to Positivethinkin:
sw403 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
sw403
(female)

sw403 HB User

I am so glad she is feeling better. She is lucky to have such a caring mom!

The following user gives a hug of support to sw403:
Positivethinkin (11-08-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to sw403 For This Useful Post:
Positivethinkin (11-08-2017)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
MariaP85
(female)

MariaP85 HB User

You are what I call an active and great parent
Sending you well wishes for you and your family

Reply Reply