It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

My mum has it all, and not in a good way!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Ceejayee
(female)

Ceejayee HB User
My mum has it all, and not in a good way!

It all started with a manic exercise regime nearly 26 years ago. It quickly spiralled out of control, and 5 years after that I learnt that she was in the grip of a severe eating disorder, and she had her first psychiatric hospital admission.

I was so shockingly naive back then, and ridiculously hopeful. I hasten to add that any vestige of hope for her recovery has well and truly been wiped from my soul. I sort of sit here in disbelief that I am even writing about my own mum.

Another admission followed about ten years later to an eating disorder unit. No lasting benefit, with her on and off the professional's radar.

Fast forward another ten years and she is heavily clinically depressed, cue third admission to a psychiatric hospital, this time she was sectioned for one month.

Next, some hardcore self harming, and alcoholism in the space of one week. Resulting in her most recent and current admission as an informal mental health patient.

Two drunken episodes to date, necessitating one return to her ward from her brother, and one return by my husband. Sozzled is an understatement.

I sound so utterly heartless about it all, but detachment has crept in without me even inviting it in. She is such a tortured soul, but I'm just so over it. Done. I haven't visited her this time, and the two calls she has made, have been uncomfortable. I still love her deep down, but I literally just can not bear it a second longer. Not sure what response I want, but thank you to anyone who takes the time.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-22-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: My mum has it all, and not in a good way!

Sending you hugs of support...sometimes we have to distance ourselves from those we love simply to save our own sanity.

You have been through allot. Don't beat yourself up. Hopefully this latest admission will give your mom strength.

Stay strong for YOUR family. They need you.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Ceejayee
(female)

Ceejayee HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated. I really wasn't sure if I would get a public floggi g for being less than sympathetic. I think it's still in me, just buried out of my reach these days. It's a pretty lonely journey for me, as I am an only child (albeit a grown adult now) and my mum was a single parent. There is only so much my husband will tolerate. I am such a talker by nature and I've had to constantly internalise this for years.

I've actually been told by my uncle that the hospital are get to g ready to boot her out, saying there is not much more that can be done for her. They will refer her to a drug/alcohol support network, but no longer offer her some electric magnetic therapy she was pinning a lot of her hopes on.

I actually requested the consultant she is under ring me. This was Weds morn. Mum had a meeting Thurs pm, and it's now Fri eve and nothing. Hard not to lose faith.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Just so you know, the electric magnetic therapy just destroys brain cells and
does not discriminate which ones to destroy. It may help stop violence but other than that it doesn't create sane choices. Your mum has to want to face her life demons head on. Few people will choose to go there.

I did face my past and I got past my bad upbringing and asked my doctor why more people don't recover. He told me few people will look at their own reality. To me it was do it or die.

Your mom is trying hard to escape the realities of her life. She still knows you, so far. I personally think her making light of her reality is her trying to escape it. You can try getting a psychiatrist to help, but they use drugs.

I think she needs a psychologist to get to the root of things, but she has to want to do that for it to happen.

I'm so sorry that your mum is so lost.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-17-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Reply Reply