It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Do you think my friend could have schizophrenia? PLEASE READ!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
    ophelia_nights
    (female)

ophelia_nights HB User
    Cool Do you think my friend could have schizophrenia? PLEASE READ!!

Hiya,

I have a friend who is really going through things at the moment, and I'm trying to see how I could help her. Maybe if I explain the particular delusions and hallucinations she is experiencing, you could maybe tell me what you think about a diagnosis? She's been seeing a psychiatrist for about 6 months but left Uni due to illness over a year ago. She has been ill for a long time before that really. Gradually over a few years it has been creeping up. She was hospitalised last year and has been on and off of Risperidone, Olanzapine/Zyprexa, Quetiapine/Seroquel and is now starting on Aripiprazole/Abilify. She was pretty much well on the Seroquel but had to change due to MAJOR sedation. Anyway, all of the following is what she explained to me when she was well. As for now, she is so-so. Med changes are always hard I guess.

Ok, her main delusions were as follows:

- General paranoia, people talking about her, writing about her, everyone knew who she was, she was famous for something she'd achieved in school. She was briefly in the paper (for real) but then went onto assume EVERYONE had read the bit in the paper and they therefore hated it for it.

- Before she left Uni, she thought she was in a "special" room, where all the tutors and teachers were watching her constantly. They would just *know* what she was up to. So she never could relax.

- Delusions involving her mum and cousin. She thought her cousin had raped her and thought her mum knew all about it but she had been involved too, or was at least trying to cover up for her cousin. She thought her mum was "out to get her", thought she hated her and wanted her dead.

- When she was in hospital, delusions about the staff, that they were giving her sleeping tablets and ****** her during the night. She thought they all hated her and were talking and writing to different people about her. She couldn't trust anyone. She bought a soft toy cat while she was in hospital to cheer her up, but soon after she started thinking she could tell what the cat was feeling and that it felt angry. She was suicidal, and she felt like she had two pathways in her head. One of them she had to choose, and if she chose the one which would make her better it would somehow simultaneously "kill her". She was very preoccupied with these two *routes* for a long time.

- She had a very brief relationship (like, 2 weeks) with a guy when she was 16. She is nearly 21 now and is still convinced that this guy is madly in love with her and wants to be with her. Even when he tells her that's not true at all, she thinks that is his way of "secretly telling her he DOES love her". She's obsessed with him and thinks about him CONSTANTLY and continually, and has done for the past 5 years. She thinks he's doing things especially for her, like when he comes on MSN and puts his sign to "busy", she thinks that's a code telling her that he loves her really.

- She sometimes thinks people know what she's thinking. And more strongly, she says she can *sense* what other people are thinking and feeling. She calls it one of her talents.

- She tells me she does have a voice, but she doesn't hear it with her ears, it is in her head. She knows it's her own voice in her head. It comments constantly on what she is doing, feeling or thinking.

- Once, a little while back, she was seeing some stuff out of the corner of her left eye. First some ants on the back of a cupboard door, then a mole in the bathroom. However I don't know whether or not these are true hallucinations as she said, when she looked at them, they would disappear. Has anyone here had an experience similar to this??

As for other stuff, well at the beginning of the year she was profoundly depressed. Too depressed and too ill to tell people about these thoughts. As she has started antipsychotics, she has become undepressed, and now, I wouldn't really say she is really depressed anymore. However she has a lot of the so-called "negetive symptoms" of schizophrenia (whether or not she actually has this illness, she seems to have those general symptoms). She has no real interest in doing anything, she assigns weird meanings to clothes, so she can NEVER get dressed coz she spends hours analysing every piece of clothing and what it means.

She has been having therapy for a while, but there have been no real obvious things in her life which could have caused all these problems. She is a bright girl and was previously at Cambridge before she deferred.

Anyway the point is this. I have no idea what is wrong with her. Her psychiatrist says it is too early for a diagnosis. I just wondered what you guys thought, does it sound like schizophrenia? Or could it be any of the following: delusional disorder, psychotic depression, brief psychotic disorder?

I wouldn't have thought it was psychotic depression, simply because even though she is no longer depressed, the thoughts remain somewhat. Also from the little bit I have read, her delusions do not seem to be mood-congruent. She does not think she should die or that she is responsible for anything, her thoughts don't seem to be depressive in tone.

Anyway I would be glad to hear what you guys think. Do you think she could have Schizophrenia? You are the people who would know, you obviously have experience with illness. Obviously I will not base a diagnosis on anything I read on the internet etc, coz that is up to the doctor to do. But it just would be good for helping understand what she is going through.

Thanks a lot in advice you can give me! Am v grateful xxxxxxxxxx
    undefined

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User
    Re: Do you think my friend could have schizophrenia? PLEASE READ!!

It sounds like schizophrenia to me. Does she have a therapist? Is that what she's been diagnosed with?

Closed Thread