HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/family-friends-mentally-ill/)
-   -   My husband will be going inpatient for his depression... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/family-friends-mentally-ill/314159-my-husband-will-going-inpatient-his-depression.html)

Kymberlee 08-12-2005 07:16 AM

My husband will be going inpatient for his depression...

and what a relief to me! Maybe that sounds mean to some of you but this is a looonnggg time coming! He has been deeply depressed for years now--on & off of meds. Our marriage is on paper only--we are just roommates now. We have a 6 yr. old boy who needs both of his parents and I have hope that this will give us all a chance to recapure our family. My questions for you all that have been thru this before (inpatient treatment) is: What's it like? How long was the process? How did it change your family/relationships? Please, tell me the truth--the good, bad & ugly! What was the treatment like for you? Painful? How do they work in your family members? I'm glad he has finnally made this huge step...I am also a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect. Any experiences/helpful tips would be welcome! :bouncing: Thanks in advance!!! God Bless! :angel:

Samantha317 08-12-2005 08:57 PM

Re: My husband will be going inpatient for his depression...

[QUOTE=Kymberlee]and what a relief to me! Maybe that sounds mean to some of you but this is a looonnggg time coming! He has been deeply depressed for years now--on & off of meds. Our marriage is on paper only--we are just roommates now. We have a 6 yr. old boy who needs both of his parents and I have hope that this will give us all a chance to recapure our family. My questions for you all that have been thru this before (inpatient treatment) is: What's it like? How long was the process? How did it change your family/relationships? Please, tell me the truth--the good, bad & ugly! What was the treatment like for you? Painful? How do they work in your family members? I'm glad he has finnally made this huge step...I am also a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect. Any experiences/helpful tips would be welcome! :bouncing: Thanks in advance!!! God Bless! :angel:[/QUOTE]
Hi Kymberlee :wave:
I am sure that you are relieved. It doesn't sound mean at all to me. I am so sorry that things with your marriage had to get to the point of you being roommates.

I have been hospitalized several times and each time has been different, as different as each episode of the depression. It's according to the facility but I wll give you what I have been through. You can either sign yourself in (commit yourself) or it can be (forced commitment) ie, doctor or family member for usually 72 hours. They first determine what risk you are to yourself or others. If you are suicidal, you will be in a locked unit for safety reasons. They take everything away from you that can be a possible danger. I am sure they will provide you with what he can and cann't have. They usually have very intense therapy. They have a structured schedules and usually encourage the patient to be as active as possible. The classes are scheduled after the doctors make their rounds and usually have exercise, anger management, coping with anxiety, cognitive behavorial therapy, stress management, assertiveness training, etc. They usually have these classes to help with coping skills and get the patient involved, up out of bed, moving and hopefully involved. The more he is involved the more he will benefit from the classes. It's very difficult to get out of bed much less get up, make your own bed, go to a dining area to eat your meals and then attend classes all day. They usually have visiting hours limited because they want the patient to get involved and talk to the other patients. The interatcion with other patients is what helps a lot. It gives you a chance to see that other's have the same problems and can relate to what you are going through. There is also monitoring medications, side effects, improvements. I suggest that you expect with the right meds to see small but noticable improvements. I know you have been supportive but this is a very stressful situation and I have had family members or other visitors that would start talking about problems at home and it was too much too soon. For example, my ex was not supportive about me being in a hospital in the first place and would come to see me as if it were drudgery. He would usually end up saying something to upset me and then we would have a fight, which was good for the nurses and doctors to see that he was a huge part of the problem for me. He didn't want to be involved with my treatment. When he did it was apparrent that he did not want to be there. I found it helpful for the doctors to be willing to get the family members involved. I was hospitalized twice in the last year and each time my doctor would have my children (over 18) come in and would talk to all of us and ask my boys if they had any questions and the doctor would usually suggest some things that would be helpful to me. The main thing was for them to be aware of what was going on with me and how important is was for me to be there. The doctors encouraged my boys to be supportive of me. They don't understand but, I hope they never fully understand because they would have to go through it.

The amount of time depends on how well you respond to the medications and therapy. I was in there for 2 weeks the last time. I have been in as long as a month. You really want them to get to a point where they are ready for the "real world" before they are released. I had a chance to go on a pass with a family member or a staff member to a public place. It was a good indicator of how I would react to being around "real world people". It's a slow process and just try to be encouraging and supportive. Ask questions and keep communications going with the doctors and staff. The staff is usually really good about any questions you may have. The main thing is that your husband releases his information to you. Are you familiar with the HIPPA laws? It protects the patient from having medical information released to anyone that he has not signed a waver to. They are especially strict on any mental health informtaion given out. I had a code and anyone that didn't have that code could not call me or visit me.

If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask. I don't know if this has been any help but I hope it is. I sincerely hope that your husband gets better and even well. It takes time and patience. Best wishes and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Many hugs,
Sam :angel:

browneyesblue 08-12-2005 09:24 PM

I have not nor do I personally know anyone who has been an inpatient for depression; but I can only imagine that it must be difficult for you to see him going through this and I applaud your for sticking by him. Depression can be so scary and once he can find his way out of the darkness he's been feeling for so long he will be able to see that you are there for him. I hope for all of your sakes that this treatment works quickly for him so that your family has a renewed hope!

HUGS

BEB

Kymberlee 08-13-2005 05:15 AM

Dear Sam & BEB: Well, thanks so much for your replies&support! Sam, you had tons of good information--it was very helpful! Thanks for sharing your insight and personal history with me! Now I wonder if he's slipping back into denial! He was going to "commit himself" into a hospital for his depression. Last night he said, "Maybe I just need to get away from work and have about 2 weeks off. Maybe I'll just take a vacation!" I didn't say much. My brother called last night and encourged my husband to make the plans to find a hospital and treatment ASAP. (My husband trusts my brother and my brother is a social worker/counselor.) So, time will tell. I just keep praying that he will do this for himself AND for our family. I try not to nag him---he'll either do it now or go into a deeper depression and have to do it later in time. (I just wish I could spare him the deeper hurt and get him to just go and do it!) Anyway, I just continue to hang in there and let God do the rest! Thanks so much for all your support & prayers!!! You guys are great on this board!!! :D