It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Boarder personality Disorder and Narcissitc Disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
    Boarder personality Disorder and Narcissitc Disorder

Can someone tell me the difference between these two. Also Can you list the traits of someone with BPD and someone with ND? I am desperate, I think a friend may have one or the other or both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
    sals05
    (female)

sals05 HB User
    Re: Boarder personality Disorder and Narcissitc Disorder

The central feature of BPD is instability.
    People with BPD have a wide range of impulsive behaviors, particularly those that are self destructive. They are highly unstable emotionally, and develop wide mood swings in response to stressful events. BPD may also include brief psychotic episodes.

Interpersonal relationships in BPD are particularly unstable. Typically, borderline patients have serious problems with boundaries. They become quickly involved with people, and quickly disappointed with them. They make great demands on other people, and easily become frightened of being abandoned by them. Their emotional life is a kind of rollercoaster.

Borderline personality disorder is an illness of young people, and usually begins in adolescence or youth. About 80% of patients are women. BPD is usually chronic, and severe problems often continue to be present for many years. About one out of ten patients eventually succeed in committing suicide. However, in the 90% who do not kill themselves, borderline pathology tends to "burn out" in middle age, and most patients function significantly better by the ages of thirty-five to forty. The mechanism for this improvement is unknown. However, other disorders associated with impulsivity, such as antisocial personality and substance abuse, also tend to burn out around the same age.

NPD:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
    requires excessive admiration
    has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
    is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
    is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
    shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by self-centeredness. Like histrionic disorder, people with this disorder seek attention and praise. They exaggerate their achievements, expecting others to recongize them as being superior. They tend to be choosy about picking friends, since they believe that not just anyone is worthy of being their friend. Narcissists tend to make good first impressions, yet have difficulty maintaining long-lasting relationships. They are generally uninterested in the feelings of others and may take advantage of them.
    Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    Requires excessive praise and admiration
    Takes advantage of others
    Grandiose sense of self-importance
    Lack of empathy
    Lying, to self and others
    Obsessed with fantasies of fame, power, or beauty
    Additional Information:
    ********** is most often found in men and is often diagnosed with other mental disorders

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread