It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• How do I convince my brother to see a doctor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
    tdematte
    (female)

tdematte HB User
    How do I convince my brother to see a doctor?

My brother has a mental illness, but we're not quite sure what it is. He is extremely paranoid and has isolated himself from all of his former friends. He seems to still trust his immediate family, but he goes into this awful rages whenever we disagree with him or tell him to see a doctor. He hasn't had a steady job in 2 1/2 years because within a month, he believes that people are talking about him, out to get him fired, etc. He has racing thoughts, doesn't sleep well and can't focus. It's very sad and especially sad for my family because he gets very vulgar when he goes into these rages, says awful things and throws things. We can't convince him to see a doctor. He keeps saying that he's not sick. Does anyone have advice on how to get him treated? Someone with a mental illness is not in their "right mind" and many clinics insist that the person comes voluntarily. I just don't know how he will ever agree and I don't want to wait until a tragedy happens to finally get him help. He also doesn't have insurance since he's too sick to hold a job. It's awful. Thank you for any advice that you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: How do I convince my brother to see a doctor?

If I were to guess, I'd say that he's probably bipolar I, and is experiencing mania. He has many symptoms: lack of sleep, irritability, and racing thoughts. Getting angry when others give advice or don't give them their own way is common. I'd say it's mania because he's paranoid, and mania (as opposed to hypomania in bipolar II) is a form of psychosis, and involves psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations and/or delusions. Is he seeing things? Is he having grandiose delusions, like thinking he's President or anything else that is obviously false and puts him in a very positive light? Other symptoms of bipolar mania are: talking too much and too fast (sometimes to the point where you can't understand what they're saying), "flight of ideas" (changing from topic to topic while speaking), hypersexuality/thinking that they're the most "irresistable" and "interesting" person there is, spending sprees, risky behaviors due to inhibitions of judgment (promiscuity, reckless driving, compulsive gambling, drinking, using drugs, etc.), a feeling that they can do anything, and a feeling that they're "on top-of-the world. Sadly, lots of people who are acutely manic are only hospitalized, and then subsequently stabilized, when they are arrested for doing something they don't know they're doing. You may want to just call a psychiatrist and get his/her opinion on how to get your brother into treatment. You can't force him, but a professional will know how to deal with that sort of thing. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User
    Re: How do I convince my brother to see a doctor?

Maybe you can try and get him to go with you or another family member to "your" appointment to help "you" out and in the course of the appt while seemingly evaluating you the psyche can secretly be evaluating him. Of course whoever he goes with would have to be a decent actress and put on a good show but obviously the psyche would be in on it and take over once you get into the session.

Closed Thread