It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Please I Need Help With My Depressed Wife

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
    mickeymad11
    (female)

mickeymad11 HB User
    Please I Need Help With My Depressed Wife

I know that my wife uses these boards and finds them very helpful, i hope someone can help me.

My wife sufferes with depression and has done for many years since her mum was murdered a long time ago. She is on antidepressants (sertraline) and for most of the time copes quite well. She has a CPN and a health visitor who call on her occasionally to see how she is doing

For the last few weeks she has been feeling lower and lower in herself and has been very aware of it and has told me how shes feeling. About 2 months ago she changed her anti-depressant and since then she has been having about 2-3 hours sleep a night, the doctor says it is the side effect and should pass in time. Surely this can't be helping the situation. (lack of sleep).

I am trying to keep this as short as possible. This week she has been incredibly low and yesterday out of the blue just took off, she left me a note saying she needed to be on her own but didnt say where she was going.

I searched for her all day and was out of my mind looking for her, i got a phone call from the local police to say that she had walked in there earlier in the morning not knowing who she was and appeared to be very confused.

She couldnt remember many details about herself or that she was married with 3 children and couldnt even remember her addresss so the police sent her to the local hospital where they kept her all day.

I went to collect her about tea time from the hosp and found her walking round the grounds very confused and very much "not with it". I took her home and tried to speak to her but she isnt relating to myself or the kids its like she doesnt know who we are. I managed to get out of her that the hospital asked her lots of questions but the woman that spoke to her wasn't very sympathetic and made my wife feel worse.

Now i am finding that when i have given her some space she is starting to remember things but then within minutes forgets our conversation. Just recently she has had a death threat from her sister, its all very complicated but it is related to her mums murder and it is an-going family feud. She is convinced that she is going to be killed and that no-one is taking her seriously. She has also been under a lot of stress as a kitchen we ordered 9 months ago has all gone terrible wrong My wife just keeps saying to me that she cant take anymore and just sits there humming to herself and rocking back and forth.

Has my wife had a break-down??? Can anybody tell me??? Im worried that she has and no-one is helping. i'm at my wits end with worry. I have to lock the doors cos she keeps saying she wants to leave and not come back and im worried she will do something to herself.

Sorry this has been so long but i need help, can anyone advise me or at least relate to some of my wifes symptons.

Thank you all so much

Anthony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
    Tlyn
    (female)

Tlyn HB User
    Re: Please I Need Help With My Depressed Wife

it does sound like she had a break down i am not a doc but she sounds like she needs a doc's help and very soon...but hang in there ....it can be worked out and get better...I had a break down after being raped last year and thought i would never function again...so there is hope...my heart and best wished go out to you,your wife and family

Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
    mickeymad11
    (female)

mickeymad11 HB User
    Re: Please I Need Help With My Depressed Wife

Thank you so much for your reply, I have been checking this board daily to see if anyone had replied. I am at my wits end really.

Your kindness in replying has been very much appreciated.

I have spoken to her CPN who is now dealing with my wife, she is visiting daily, she thought putting her in hospital would make her worse as she thinks she needs familiar surroundings. She says that she is severely depressed and it is going to take time to recover.

I have taken time off work to look after her and fingers crossed she will be feeling better soon.

Thank you once again for replying and hope you are now feeling better yourself.

Closed Thread