It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
    barbevoy
    (female)

barbevoy HB User
    Re: Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

I feel for u and ur tough siutation. One tip is experiment with more medications. Alot doctors r not as smart as they appear. I reccomend researching different drugs for schzophrenia. Also does this disorder run in ur family? Some disorders r genetic. Similar to ur daughter's situation my brother heard voices. Hes also austic thou and mentally retarted. My family put him on zyprexa and it was like miracle drug. The only down side is causes weight gain. My brother unforntuanlety had to go off of it because we could not keep his weight under control. U might want to try this drug thou because ur daughter might be able to keep her weight under control. My brother has always been a big eater and with his low IQ he could not grasp idea of dieting and excersie. I wish u the best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Speaking of meds, another one you might want to consider is Risperidone (Risperdal). That's what I take for my auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. Although Risperidone doesn't eliminate my symptoms completely, it does make a difference in terms of their severity. (When I'm on meds, my symptoms are moderate at worst and severe if I'm off meds. Keep in mind though that I have a severe case of bipolar. What makes my illness difficult to treat is the fact that I not only have auditory hallucinations, but delusions,
    7 different types of paranoia and hourly rapid cycling as well.)
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-10-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #18
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

I was on Risperdal as well; however, it worked for about 3 weeks and then I went back to the way I was. The bad thing about medication is that peoples' bodies normally react in completely different ways when compared to others. A good example of this is the difference between myself and dreams in neon-- Risperdal works for her, and it does not work for me, even though we have very similar if not the same symptoms. It's worth giving everything a try, though. Because even though I know it's a pain to stop a med and then start a new one in such a short period of time, you never know what might work for your daughter!!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #19
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Thank you all so much for your support and adivce. My daughter was on Risperidole, which would work for up to 2 weeks, but then the symptoms would recur, so they would increase her dose. The dose was increased 4 times in total until the side effects became so severe. Yes weight gain was also an issue. We are due to begin another drug next week, so am hoping she will find some peace of mind. I think the psychiatrists are perplexed by her symtoms, as she is so young to be experiencing psychosis.

I really do appreciate hearing of all your experiences and views.

Take care everyone.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSD brought up an excellent point about how meds may work well for one person, but not another.

Having said that, I also wanted to mention another med that worked well for me. I thought I'd mention it so you are aware of the different kinds of meds that are out there to treat auditory hallucinations.

When I was hospitalized 2 years ago, the attending pdoc put me on Geodon and it worked very well in controlling my voices. Why he took me off Geodon upon my discharge and put me on Risperdal instead, I don't know, but I'm thinking it might have to do with the fact that Geodon is more expensive than Risperdal. (I'll have to ask my pdoc whether or not this is true.) I also think it could be due to the fact that Depakote (the mood stabilizer I'm on for my bipolar) and Risperdal work well together in addressing mania and auditory hallucinations. Since Risperdal doesn't completely eliminate my symptoms and Geodon did, I may ask my pdoc about Geodon and if it's less expensive than the former, will request that I be put back on it.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-11-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
    Question Re: Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

I just wanted to ask whether anyone has had any similar experiences to my daughter. On several occasions she has been told that her sister or I are really aliens who are coming to get her. She has even reported seeing her sister's face changing into a fierce dog and last night she was heard telling her sister, who was fast asleep, that she knows her secret - that she is really a Mummy (zombie). I wondered whether any of you have expereinced similar things. At the moment her hallucinations seem to centre on ghosts and souls. She thinks they are coming to snatch her soul and the ghosts are following the remote control for the TV.

I am confused as sometimes things seem 'normal'. I am due to collect her meds tomorrow, but am in two minds as to whether to give them to her. At times she becomes upset by these experiences, but on other days she can manage them.

Once again thank you for all your support and sharing your experiences with us.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

YES! I know exactly how she feels with the aliens-- two summers ago my family and I went on a vacation to Russia and some other countries in Europe, and when we came back I thought the KGB (which doesn't even exist anymore) cloned my family and turned the real ones into aliens. I thought they were speaking another language and were trying to kill me and bring me to their planet so they could do experiments on me. I wouldn't eat anything my parents made, because I thought they were trying to poison me. I thought my 2 brothers were in an alliance together and their mission was to "bring me down". It was really scary thinking my family was from another planet and trying to kill me. That's really the first time my parents realized there was something wrong with me.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #23
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My hallucinations and delusions don't center around aliens, but they do focus on the FBI and my fears that they are following me and plotting my demise.

During my last manic/psychotic episode I kept thinking that all of the e-mails I received and the websites I read were encrypted messages sent to me courtesy of the FBI. I could even hear them talking about me and commenting on everything I did. They spoke to me through my TV and radio and I spoke back pleading for them not to hurt me. Sometimes I could think to myself and I would feel as though they could read my thoughts.

When I was hospitalized, I was extremely confused and started to wonder why the FBI was no longer communicating with me. I started to panic and heard voices telling me, "She's in room #000 and we're going to get her. Keep an eye on her because it's time for us to make our move." What confused me was the fact that the voices I heard were different than those I heard from the FBI. That only made me feel as if the FBI was recruiting more people to plot against me. Soon it wasn't long before I started to think that the broadcasters I heard on the radio were in on it too. I became so afraid to think anything for fear of them being able to read my mind. I also started to believe that they (the FBI and whoever else was plotting against me) were controlling the radio stations I listened to and forced me to only receive stations whose broadcasters commented on me and the things I did from day to day while in the hospital.

These voices remained with me for at least 3 weeks at which time I was given my first weekend pass.

Unfortunately, the voices were so intense that I had to go back to the hospital only 2 hours after I arrived home. The voices were speaking to each other and saying that I'd better not go outside my door or else I'll pay the consequence. When my sister arrived to drive me back to the hospital, I was petrified to answer the door. After knocking on the door, ringing my doorbell and not getting any response from me, she unlocked my door and came inside. Once I heard her voice, I knew I was safe, but I begged her to take me back to the hospital where they could protect me from the FBI and all of the voices that were plotting against me.

Needless to say, I hope I *never* experience anything like that again. Once is more than enough.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #24
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Thank you again MSD and Dreams for your valuable, but what must be terrifying insights into your illnesses. I can imagine the terror you must both have experienced throughout your illnesses. You are both such strong young women to survive these horrific experiences and yet still be able to talk about them so articulatly and rationally.

I do not think my daughter experiences are as intense as your own. Perhaps it is different for a 9 year old. She too has spoken about being cloned. She told me that 'they' told her that she was cloned at birth and this is why she hears their voices. Her 'epsisodes' are not constant - except when she has been in what I can only describe as a state of paranoia and she did not want to leave the house - when we did she pleaded to go home. HEr voices allso used to tell her that people in the street were following her.There does seem to be a consistent link with aliens. Initially she told me that they had come from another planet and had chosen her out of all the children in England to come to.

At the weekend she was playing a very 'odd' game called 'spies'. There was lots of whispering and talking about 'scociety'. I did ask her to repeat what she was saying, but she would not, but told me she was just playing.

On 3 occasions recently I have noticed her 'rocking' back and forth. She did it twice in her psych's office and he asked her whether it was her voices, but she said it wasn't.

Take care MSD and Dreams - we will catch up soon.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #25
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Strawberry Girl,

Reading about your daughter rocking back and forth reminds me of exactly what happened to me during my last severe manic/psychotic episode. I would oftentimes rock back and forth in an attempt to calm myself and make my voices go away, but it never worked. The more I rocked, the louder and more powerful the voices became.

I hope you'll continue to keep us updated as to how your daughter is doing. It breaks my heart that she is suffering in this way, but I do honestly believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that her psychiatrist will find a med to help her feel better.

Sending all my best to you both...
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #26
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
    Post Re: Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

Thank you Dreams for your kind words and empathy. Your experiences sound torturous. My heart goes out to you, as the fear must be completely overwhelming. As I said my daughter's experiences are not as severe as yours or MSD's. Whether they will progress to this level, I do not know. They are now trying her on Abilify (I think that is the correct spelling).

I wish I knew the causes of my daughter's psychosis - I know that many times diagnosis may be changed. In your own case the diagnosis is very complex, as it seems there are several 'illnesses' all merged together. I do not think she has scizophrenia - unless it is possible to have it, but in a less severe form.

May I ask you about your friendships? Have these been problematic? The reason I ask is that I have seen it written that those with schizophrenia cannot establish friendships and nieither do they have an interest in them. My daughter does have friends, but she may often be withdrawn or appear to be on the outside of the friendship circle. She does not always communicate easily with peers, particularly within a group.

Do have therapy in combination with the drug treatment? Do they give you any helpful suggestions on how to manage your psychosis?

MSD and Dreams, may I ask how you managed with your psychosis in High School. My daughter has not been in school for several months, because of her fear that 'they' are going to get her (this has led to wetting in school). Today there was a meeting at which it was suggested that my daughter returns to school, but with addtional support. The school say that there is no funding for this - so for now she will have a home tutor. I just wondered what support (if any) was in place for your while you were at school?

How are you both doing at the moment? Are you 'unwell' or is the situation 'managed/controlled'.

Take care both of you and please stay in touch. YOu are both an inspiration to me. I am curious as to whether you are both in touch with one another or are you just in contact via this site?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Hi,
    I was reading this thread the other day and I have learnt a great deal about schizophrenia so thank you for sharing your experiences.

I was looking up something completely unrelated today and I came across this...
    " group of researchers has identified the gene G72/G30 at chromosome 13q33.2 as a susceptibility gene for child-hood-onset schizophrenia and psychosis not otherwise specified "
    I'm not actually sure if it is helpful but I thought it might be interesting.

J

Last edited by jsfai; 01-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #28
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

The beginning of high school was great for me- I had tons of friends, I did very well, and I would say I was thriving. I must say that I have always been a little shy and reserved, but nothing compared to how I was in junior year. As junior year progressed and I was taking tests to get into college, and asking teachers for recommendation letters, and making sure that I got a 100 on every single test- that's really when I started to withdraw. I got really stressed, which triggered my illness. My doctors and parents called all my teachers and let them know what was going on, and while I was in the hospital they sent the work over to me, so I wouldn't miss anything. School was and always will be really important to me, and I really think that's why I was able to handle all the work while I was so ill. Going back to school after the long stay in the hospital was awkward, because a lot of the kids at school knew, but no one made fun of me, and no one talked about it. It was kind of the elephant in the room- if I was staring at something for too long (which I tend to do), my teacher would make sure I was okay, but that's about as far as any of the teachers went. I did lose some friends, but as I said, they were not really my friends in the first place.

I could be wrong here, but I do think that living in the state of New York really helped, because people tend to be more open- minded here than in other places I've been to. But I could be totally off there.

Right now I would say my illness is "under control". I am home for break, so I have zero stress right now. I go back to college in late January and that's really when my illness gets bad. My professors at college all know what's going on with me, so that makes things easy in case I miss a class, and need to make something up- I don't need to explain myself.

I am on a number of medications...meds for paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, and mood stabilizers. The side effects suck, but I have gotten all of that under control. I originally gained weight when I went on abilify, but since then I was able to take the extra weight off and now I know what I need to do to keep it off.

Dreams and I do not talk outside of the message boards, but I'm glad we are able to talk, because I think we have many similar symptoms even though she has bipolar disorder and I have schizophrenia- it's actually pretty amazing how similar our symptoms are, and yet we have different illnesses. Anyway, I hope abilify works for your daughter better than it worked for me; please keep us updated on how she is doing!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #29
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Once again, thank you for your responses. Thank you jsfai - that is interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to so a blood test on my daughter to see whether she has this gene. I will enquire when we see her psych. next week.

MSD - thank you for sharing your experiences of school with me. It must have been very hard returning following your a long hosptial admission. I am sure you are correct when you say that living in a city such as New York does mean people will be more open minded. I think this is also true to a degree of London - where we live. Have you ever heard voices while in school and if so how did you manage?

I was looking on the web tonight and came across various information on the different types of schizophrenia. It is interesting to read through. As I have said previously I have found the night times are when my daughter's problems become worse. I think this is because for her the dark is stressful - she thinks it is when they can 'get her', take her soul or when her sister is going to manifest herself into an alien or another creature. I did wonder whether it could be a serious form of 'night terrors' , but then she can experience symptoms in the day too. paranoia has also been present during the day, so it cannot be.

It sounds as if you are on a lot of meds. I am so sorry you are experiencing such a cruel illness. Whatever my daughter's diagnosis, you and dreams have provided me with hope, as despite your illnesses you are motivated, articulate and intelligent young women. You both also display imense courage in the face of adversity.

My daughter is very impressed by the fact I am e-mailing people in the US as she is desperate to go there - inspired partly by High School Musical - as she is a huge fan!

Catch up soon.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #30
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Hi Strawberrygirl,
    I don't think I am allowed to post the web link but I was surfing for 'psychotic break'. It appeared as a scientific paper from a peer reviewed medical journal (so it's not just a quack statement)
    Ask for a 'chromosomal study with particular relevance to....
    Good luck
    J

Closed Thread