It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #46
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Re: Has my 9 year old daughter got scizophrenia?

Strawberry Girl,

According to my psychiatrist, my meds are meant to address the following symptoms:

mood stabilizer: rapid cycling, mania

antipsychotic: rapid cycling, mania, auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia

anti-depressant: depression, anxiety related to my PTSD

sleep med: enables me to sleep and helps reduce mania

I'm sorry that your daughter isn't feeling well and is continuing to hear voices. If your daughter is still vomiting for the next 2-3 days, I would contact her psychiatrist since this may be a side effect of the med she's on.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-15-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #47
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all feeling well.

jfsai: How lovely that despite your illness, you are still able to appreciate the joy of having your children around you. What little one, doesnt enjoy the opportunity to be messy and noisy! Although we are living in adverse circumstances, my children's happiness is my priority and I will do what I can to ensure they are happy. We are a very close family - although there are only the 3 of us. I am 'mummy' first, but we are also great friends. I had a very close relationship with my own mother who died at a relatively young age before my own children were born and I have aspired to create the same relationship with my own two girls. Both were IVF pregnancies and I had 3 miscarriages before carrying a pregnancy full term. SAdly my father died the day before my eldest was born, so it has been a 'rocky road' and continues to be.

Do you mind me asking when you first became depressed? Was it something you experienced as a young child, teenager or post-natal?

My youngest daughter aged 8 is affected by her sister's illness. She has been accused of being an alien (!!) and has heard her sister say and do things which are frightening, such as behaving in a threatening manner with knives or scissors. She has also been hit (hard) by her older sibling (I know all siblings argue, but this can be over a minor diagreement). I think she also feels pushed out, as my eldest is with me 24/7, whereas the youngest one has to go to school and go to bed at a reasonable hour. She is now beginning to struggle at school too, as she does not get as much support as she needs. I do explain to her that her sister is ill and where possible try to ensure she has one to one with mummy - but the latter often proves impossible. I would like more support for her from the school, but nothing is forthcoming, even though I have voiced my concerns on a number of occasions. She too has her own medical needs due to a kidney and urology disorder. Experience has led me to feel very disillusioned by the education system in the UK. People may promise to deliver, but it is not maintained or concerns are dismissed, despite evidence to the contrary.

Do you feel that your children have ever been effected by your own illness? have you needed to be hospitalised for the depression?

Dreams: Your problems sound very complex and I admire you so much for how you deal with all of this. Did you experience any symptoms as a child? Is there a family history of bi-polar?

I also admire you for striving for an education, despite the illness. I am sure it must help to keep you focused and motivated.

My daughter's physical symptoms have improved today, so I am continuing with the meds. She continues to hear voices and hallucinate, but it is containable.

Did your symptoms develop over a period of time, or did you suddenly experience an acute episode? I recall that you said your diagnosis changed so I assume that further symptoms developed in order for them to have changed the original diagnosis. My child experienced mood changes at 7, when puberty was under way (she has precocious puberty) and then begun to report hearing voices and displaying OCD behaviours. This was followed by visual hallucinations, paranoia, delusions and tactile hallucinations. Despite all of this she is a kind, articulate and loving little girl. I do worry how the illness will develop when she enters her teen years and of the long term impact upon her future. At the moment we do not have a diagnosis, so it is difficult to predict the future.

Take care everyone and have a good weekend.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #48
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Strawberry Girl,

I never experienced any psychotic, delusional or paranoid behaviors as a child.

However, my auditory hallucinations began in my early 20s when I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD). I was given Lithium (a mood stabilizer) and Prozac, but neither of them worked for my voices or the depression. At the time I was told I had treatment-resistant depression. I had been hospitalized 6 times between age 20 and 25.

I continued to struggle with depression and auditory hallucinations for quite awhile. I also had paranoia for 10 years where I thought people were following me, but didn't realize that this was actually paranoia until I was treated for it after experiencing my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006.

Speaking of 2006, that's when I had my first severe manic/psychotic episode. I heard up to 20 different voices and nearly committed suicide. I didn't eat or sleep for 2 weeks and lost 20 pounds during this time. It was also at this time that I developed other forms of paranoia including the fear of people poisoning my food, being watched by video cameras in my apartment and having people call the police for a crime I didn't commit.

After I was hospitalized for a little over a month in 2006 I developed more paranoia which included being afraid of losing complete touch with reality again, listening to my voices tell me to harm myself and dying a slow and painful death (the latter occurred after my mother passed away of pancreatic cancer).

Ever since 2006, I've continued to have auditory hallucinations although I no longer hear 20 different voices. Now I only hear 4. I also have persecutory delusions as well as the 7 different types of paranoia I mentioned.

I was adopted, so I don't know if anyone in my family had a history of bipolar or other forms of mental illness. However, it has been said that people who have bipolar stand a good chance of having a relative who also has the disorder. I'm thinking about searching for my biological parents and when I do, I'm going to see if I can find anything out regarding that.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #49
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Deams: You have been through so much pain. I am so sorry to hear about you losing your mother too. I am sure such a huge loss would have increased your symptoms and left you more vulnerable. Do you have much support where you are living now to enable you to manage this illness? Are there people who are there for you when you are in need of support? You display such courage and insight, which is an inspiration to anyone reading this thread.

My daughter has been very unwell today. The voices, hallucinations and paranoia has been on-going throughout the day. It is so tough for her, but she knows I am always there for her with hugs and reassurance. As a lone parent it is hard, as she does not sleep well. I often wish I had someone to talk to, as this illness has left me feeling very isolated at times. I have very little adult company nowadays. It is usually just the girls and I. I often feel isolated from many of the professionals involved with my child. In the past I have had very negative experiences with the school and the previous mental health team who saw her. I now find it hard to trust anyone - even if it is a case of people promising something to support her and then not carrying it through.

Take care Dreams and have a peaceful weekend.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #50
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

HI Dreams and Strawberry Girl,
    I do feel a little like an interloper in this thread...but I am learning quite a lot so I hope you dont mind!
    Dreams, do your voices have a difference between them? Are they always there or only in times of stress? can you suppress them or ignore them and can you control your phobia's? It just sounds as though you have everything so under control from the way you write so matter of factually. I suppose that it represents that despite an illness you can have a normal life.

Strawberry - no have haven't been hospitalize although if I was honest I did want to be just before christmas. It was some kind of psychotic episode that I spoke of before. I do worry about how this effects my children and about what they may have inherited from my gene pool! But from the gene pool point of view there is nothing I can do so it is a worry I have to leave behind other than a wariness to watch for things in the future - knowledge can be powerful when used like that.
    My own mum is an odd person, prone to depression (which she denies) and sulky, immature, manipulative, she has a real nasty streak in her. But then she is loving and kind, her face to the world is very different from the face she shows her family. I suspect there is a hereditary disposition to my condition, I can only hope that my seeking of medical help will help me to avoid the pitfalls of her personality and help me to manage my depression in front of my children.
    I am sorry to hear of you parents passing and of the lack of support from the school system. I have been lead to believe that the English systems of health and education is overloaded.
    As for question as to when I first became depressed. It is hard to say. After the birth of our second child I had a very stressful event that I didn't cope well with but I was in blame and denial mode. When I was pregnant with our third I realized that I was in trouble and that it was likely that I would develop PND. I sought help, a decision that was humiliating at the time but now I am so proud of it, the bravery. If I look back I can now see that I have had episodes of depression on and off over the years but I didnt realise what it was, it was exacerbated by pregnancy, child birth and the exhaustion that has come with motherhood and a stressful family situation.

What about you? Depression is a funny thing, it creeps up on you from behind and sometimes being so busy and preoccupied with things and other people's worries can mask your own. I think anyone in your situation must be susceptible to such things and that is why I recommended that you need support and counseling yourself even if you think you are OK!

J

Last edited by jsfai; 01-16-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #51
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsfai View Post
    Dreams, do your voices have a difference between them? Are they always there or only in times of stress? can you suppress them or ignore them and can you control your phobia's? It just sounds as though you have everything so under control from the way you write so matter of factually. I suppose that it represents that despite an illness you can have a normal life.
    My voices are male and female. They sound angry, tense and they shout at me and at each other. I always hear them nonstop, but they are considerably worse when I'm under stress, am manic, irritable or depressed. During the day I keep the radio or TV on in the background to help drown them out. The attending pdoc who oversaw my case when I was hospitalized in 2006 recommended that I listen to the radio to help distract myself from my voices. This works to a certain degree, but doesn't make the voices go away completely. They are way too loud and powerful for that to happen. As far as my writing is concerned, it has always been one of the easiest ways for me to express myself. I don't mean to brag, but it doesn't take me any effort whatsoever to write something and make it sound coherent. I find that when I write, my voices calm down a bit because I'm able to think about the words I want to use instead of focusing on what my voices are saying. By the way, you're not the only one who is amazed by the degree of insight I have. Both my pdoc and tdoc are impressed by the high level of awareness I have into my bipolar, auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. I think one thing that's responsible for this is the fact I always write everything down. Since auditory hallucinations are never continuous (meaning that they are always intermittent), it allows me to write about the things I do remember when I'm recovered or back into some semblence of reality. I've also lived with auditory hallucinations since the early 90s, so it's old hat to me. LOL! One thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes I can suppress my voices by thinking about a favorite song. I'm able to play back songs in my head as if they were being played on the radio. It's as if I have a jukebox in my mind. When I play a song, it overrides the voices and I end up concentrating on the song instead of the voices. The voices get angry though and try to shout over the music, but I'm able to drown them out the harder I concentrate on the song.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-16-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #52
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also wanted to mention that my tdoc told me it isn't uncommon for people with mild or moderate auditory hallucinations to have the ability to write clearly or drown out their voices to some extent. As long as I'm on meds, my voices always remain at a moderate level. When I am manic or unmedicated though, they are severe and cause catatonia where I am unable to speak or move. I lose complete touch with reality and am unable to tell you my name, the day of the week or where I am at the moment. I can guarantee you that if I were manic or off of my meds, I wouldn't be able to sit on the computer and write a post describing my hallucinations. Instead, I would be bedridden (or sitting on a chair, couch or at my dining room table depending on when the voices occurred) and acting aggressively towards anyone who tried to touch me.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #53
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams:

As you know I too have been amazed by your insight into your illness. YOu are very articulate when you write. Do you keep a journal to enable you to express what is happening to you? I too find writing theraputic and keep a written record of my daughter's symptoms for her psych. I also bought my daughter a book to write in to describe her 'feelings; but it has not been maintained. How often do you see your psychiatrist? Do you have therapy combined with your meds to help you manage this illness? Do you have people besides your doctors who are there for you? I was interested to read what you said about trying to distract yourself from the voices. I do try and my daughter too - I wasnt sure whether it can help, but judging by what you wrote, it can. YOur experiences when you are manic or unmedicated sound petrifying and completely overwhelming. You mentioned your voices becoming angry if you have tried to drown them out. My daughter also tells me that when she has made some improvement in her symptoms the 'voices' tell her that they are 'pretending' to go away as they want her to stop the medication as they do not want to go away. SAdly my daughter cannot remember a time when she did not hear voices.

jsfai:

YOu too demonstrate an amazing insight into your illness. You obviously recognise when you are ill and find the courage to seek help. I think admitting to an illness such as depression or indeed any mental illness can be an extremely tough decision. I think we can view it as a 'weakness' in ourselves, when in fact it is an illness. I think variable forms of mental illness can lie dormant in everyone. For some the chemical inbalance becomes overwhelming irrespective of their 'life experiences'. In others I do believe that traumatic events, stress or childhood experiences can trigger off a mental illness, which may otherwise have lay dormant. I think our childhood's can also affect our ability to cope with events in our lives. Despite the negative experiences of your illness, you do sound a fabulous mother. You also have an insight into your illness and the impact this could potentially have upon them. The fact you are aware of this will safeguard them in the future.

Please do not feel that you are an 'interloper', as you are not at all. For me it is nice to speak to another mother and your thoughts and experiences are both interesting to read about and inspiring. Please know that you are very welcome to join us!

MSD:

I hope you are well?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #54
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Strawberry Girl,

Yes, I keep a written journal to keep track of my voices: their gender, what they say, their overall emotion and loudness (angry, indifferent, powerful), how they react to my environment (such as the example I gave where they become angry and try to shout over music when I try to think of a song in my head) and an estimate of their duration. The latter is hard for me to keep track of since I drift in and out of reality, but I do my best to give an estimation so I have some idea of how long a particular voice or voices have continued. Another thing that complicates this is the fact that auditory hallucinations do not continue on and on without stopping. You hear a voice or voices for awhile, then you don't and then they start all over again.

As for my psychiatrist, I see him every 2-3 weeks for a med check-up. I don't know what is standard, but my old pdoc saw me every 3 months which was really difficult given the fact that I rapid cycle on an hourly basis. He also never made any changes to my meds even when I told him I was manic or rapid cycling. I feel much more comfortable seeing my new pdoc every 2-3 weeks because we can get a better idea of how I'm doing on my meds and whether or not they need to be tweaked or changed. My next appointment is on Thursday. Right now I'm debating whether or not to have him switch me from Risperidone to Geodon since the latter worked so well for me when I was hospitalized 2 years ago. If it works that well again, it means I will no longer experience any auditory hallucinations, delusions or paranoia. As it is now, I have moderate difficulty with hallucinations and delusions (and severe difficulties with paranoia regardless of treatment) when I'm on meds. My only concern is that I haven't rapid cycled in 6 days now and the last thing I want to do is tamper with a med combo that is finally starting to work. If I need to sacrifice my rapid cycling in order to get rid of my hallucinations, delusions and paranoia, it's not worth it because the cycling happens too frequently and can cause me to be manic for several weeks like I was for the past 2 months which necessitated an 8 day hospitalization back in December. (the pdoc wanted to keep me there longer, but I refused -- probably not a good idea at the time, but my voices were starting to get better and I was no longer feeling suicidal.)

I am in weekly therapy -- although I only started weekly therapy 2 weeks ago. Prior to then, I saw my therapist bi-weekly, but when we discovered that I had PTSD along with my rapid cycling bipolar, he thought it would be a better idea if I saw him weekly instead. Besides, there are some issues I need to address regarding my PTSD since it is a new diagnosis and he would like to see me on a weekly basis for that as well. I've found therapy to be of tremendous help in allowing me to cope with my bipolar. Thanks to my therapist, I know so much more about bipolar and am no longer in the dark when it comes to understanding the illness.

Regarding your daughter, I have an idea that just might help her express her feelings when it comes to the voices she hears. Have you thought about giving her a coloring book or blank paper and asking her to use certain crayon colors to "draw" the voices she hears? For example, a red crayon could indicate an angry male voice, a blue crayon could represent a sad voice and a black crayon could represent voices that talk about death or dying. Being able to color, draw or scribble (depending on how she feels at any given moment) would allow her to release some of her emotions down on paper and you could get a visual "picture" of the voices she is hearing.

You might also want to create what is called a mood journal -- only in your daughter's case, it would be called a voice journal. Write down what kind of voices she hears and what kind of situations (if any) trigger them and if they aren't triggered by anything at all, write that down too. You and her psychiatrist may be able to see patterns developing which could help you both pinpoint what events have the potential to exacerbate her voices.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-17-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #55
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams:

Maybe one day you can incorporate your experiences into a book to help others who are experiencing mental illness, or to educate those who are caring for others with an illness similar to your own?

I am pleased that you are receiving weekly therapy - as I think you need as much support as there is available given the complexity of your needs. Do you live alone? You seem to have a very sensible attitude towards managing your illness and seem to regcognise what will and wont help you. Are your psych. and therapist helpful in ensuring you are involved in the management of your own care plan/package?

Thank you for your ideas about a 'voice' journal for me to complete to identify whether there is anything which may trigger the voices. I have in the past asked her to draw her voices, but it fizzled out. I will suggest it to her again, as I feel she would benefit by having an outlet. I thought the clinic where she is currently being seen were going to provide her with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to enable her to manage her voices, but it now appears not. At the moment I have the option to admit her, but she is so young and it may be traumatising for her. The children's psychiatric unit is also a considerable distance from our home. At the moment I am able to contain/manage her distress, but I would like her to be stablised. At the moment her symptoms are becoming progressively worse again, although they are not as severe as your own can be.

May you have a peaceful weekend Dreams and know I am here if you need a listening ear. I do feel for you - as it must be such a struggle.

My employer is in the proccess of dismissing me as I cannot return to work, because my daughter is too ill. I am therefore absent without permission. The pc I am currently using belongs to my employer as I am home based. I will therefore lose this pc within the next few weeks, but will stay in contact via the internet cafes, as I would be interested to know how you all are.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #56
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Strawberry Girl,

I've never thought about writing a book before, but now that you mention it, that's something I wouldn't mind doing. I love to write and share my experiences with others -- not to mention that writing would be a positive outlet for helping me deal with my bipolar.

Both my therapist and psychiarist emphasize the importance of their patients being 100% involved in their treatment which is a welcome change from the old psychiatrist I had. In fact, my old psychiatrist never fully evaluated the symptoms I was having -- he just saw the diagnosis that was written on the hospital discharge paperwork and left well enough alone. One thing that should have stuck out at him immediately was the fact that I was too high functioning to be considered schizoaffective. I was in school at the time and most people with schizoaffective disorder have difficulty with this due to their primary symptoms of hallucinations and delusions. The diagnosis of atypical bipolar I disorder fits me perfectly because it accounts for my rapid cycling, mania, depression, auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. Aside from that, I don't have primary symptoms of hallucinations or delusions since they are controlled to some degree by meds.

I just thought of another idea. Could your daughter's psychiatrist recommend play therapy in which she could learn how to act out her voices? Perhaps with that being a safe environment, she would also feel more comfortable drawing out her voices there too.

Thanks for letting me know about your employer's PC. I certainly hope that you'll remain on the boards because I'm very interested in knowing how your daughter is doing and would like to continue offering my support anyway I can.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #57
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Hi Dreams,

I think a book is something you should consider doing, as you are evidently a talented writer with an excellent insight in to your own illness. I think it would also be theraputic for you to do. I for one would be very interested to read your detailed account of your journey through mental illness.

I am pleased that you have a psych. and therapist who consider your individual needs when planning your treatment. Too often people may be labled as suffering from a particular illness, but I am sure everyone's experiences of the illness will be different, as will be how they are able to manage their illness. Of course there will be common symptoms, but everyone's experience is unique to them.

The play therapy sounds a very good idea. I will mention it to her psych. I feel she needs something other than just medicating. I reassure and comfort her as much as possible, but I am not a qualified therapist.

My daughter has had a good day. Her mood was improved and she enjoyed swimming with her sister today. She has experienced voices and visual hallucinations in the pool before and has become distressed, but today was a positive experience. As we approach the night time, this may change as this is when my daughter thinks 'they' will harm her and she can become very distressed.

I am hoping to be on-line for at least 3 more weeks before I lose this pc.

Dreams, you did not answer whether you have support around you other than your doctors? I know you said your mother had passed away, but do you have other family around you, who support you with your illness? Do you live alone? You need people who will not judge you, but will be there for you.

Take care.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #58
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Hi Dreams and Strawberry Girl
    Such good ideas in the face of adversity.
    I agree, Dreams, that you should consider a book. There are so few accounts of mental illness that are real, confronting and hopeful. It can only help to educate the world and dispel the myths. You write well.
    Do you fear the catatonic state? Are you aware when you are in that state. If Strawberry's daughter were to experience such a thing, is there anything Strawberry could do to protect her (emotionally I mean) (Strawberry I hope that isn't presumptive of me)
    Strawberry, I know that you worry about admitting your daughter due to the potential trauma but maybe you should focus on the opportunity it presents. It could really address some of her symptoms and help to stabilize her. It may, in fact, empower her to take control if she can or give her some coping tools. It will also allow you to rest (no that's not selfish, it's important) and it will give you some time to focus on your other daughter.
    How are you going? Really, I mean you are facing so much...

J

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #59
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Dreams,
    Can I ask about your PTSD? Or is it something you prefer not to share...
    J

Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #60
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsfai View Post
    Hi Dreams and Strawberry Girl
    Such good ideas in the face of adversity.
    I agree, Dreams, that you should consider a book. There are so few accounts of mental illness that are real, confronting and hopeful. It can only help to educate the world and dispel the myths. You write well.
    Do you fear the catatonic state? Are you aware when you are in that state. If Strawberry's daughter were to experience such a thing, is there anything Strawberry could do to protect her (emotionally I mean) (Strawberry I hope that isn't presumptive of me)
    Strawberry, I know that you worry about admitting your daughter due to the potential trauma but maybe you should focus on the opportunity it presents. It could really address some of her symptoms and help to stabilize her. It may, in fact, empower her to take control if she can or give her some coping tools. It will also allow you to rest (no that's not selfish, it's important) and it will give you some time to focus on your other daughter.
    How are you going? Really, I mean you are facing so much...

J
    Hi there,

Yes, I do fear being in a catatonic state because the last time that happened to me, I was catatonic for 17 hours straight due to the high dose of meds the hospital gave me when I was hospitalized in 2006.

That was the only time I've been catatonic and during my experience I didn't realize that I was. I just kept hearing voice after voice and sat there without moving. At one point during my catatonia a nurse handed my guide dog to me and placed her dinner bowl in front of me to feed her. I never responded and she had to physically wrap my fingers around my guide dog's leash because I wouldn't grasp it. During that time I couldn't hear anything happening around me until I started to break out of the catatonia. One of the first things I remember hearing was the psychiatrist asking a nurse, "You mean to tell me she's been sitting there like that all night and you didn't tell me?" Minutes later, a social worker came up to me and asked if she could take my guide dog outside to relieve herself.

I'm not sure what I could recommend to Strawberry Girl except to make a note of any unusual behaviors her daughter exhibits. If she seems to "space out" or doesn't move for a period of time, call her name. If she doesn't respond, gently touch her on the shoulder. If she still doesn't respond, it probably means that she's in a catatonic state and can't hear anything except for her voices. Whatever you do, do not physically move her because chances are she will resist. What I mean by that is if you pull her arm to help her stand up, it will be like moving jello. That happened to me when I was hospitalized in 2006. I was sleeping at the desk where the phone was located and one of the nurses was trying to take me to my room. When she grabbed my arm, I felt as if a surge of electricity were moving throughout my entire body and was being electrocuted. Let your daughter experience the catatonia until she becomes aware of her environment. I don't know how long an average person with schizophrenia experiences catatonia, but I'm guessing it could be anywhere from a few minutes to hours.

Thanks for the compliment about me writing a book! I've given it serious thought and think I'm going to do it. I love to write and help others. I'm also thinking about writing a book about my deafblindness as well. Now the only question is, which book shall I write first? LOL!
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-18-2009 at 03:29 AM.

Closed Thread