It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• RE: Schizotypal Personality Disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
    sweetcheeks57
    (female)

sweetcheeks57 HB User
    RE: Schizotypal Personality Disorder

I am the mother of an adult son who was recently diagnosed Schizotypal. Ever since I sold my house, I have been supporting him. He has siblings, and they are at present afraid of him, because they feel he will visit and not leave, camp out on their sofa and not pay his way at all. He hasn't worked in years, and when he did some temp work that could have been permanent eventually, he quit after a few weeks becuse he felt people insulted him, making comments he was too quiet. He is very intelligent and almost finished college, but he seems to have no ambition any more. He dropped out of college five years ago, when he was in his last semester. He has lived in train stations, has lived in a car we lent him, left our apt and his grandmother's when we offered him shelter. His father and I paid for an apt. for him, several rooms in houses with others his age and brought him into our apt. We thought it would be temporary, that he would get a job and save money to move, but he didn't. We are the enablers, and I know this is part of the situation. We can't keep supporting him, as his father was recently laid off. So my own counselor has said all along to stop paying , and now it looks like we have to stop to avoid being homeless ourselves. I am asking if anyone here is diagnosed schizotypal and how do you manage it? Does it interfere with your life in that you can't support yourself at all? Our son refuses counseling, so he can't get SSI, and he is too proud to go to welfare. He just wants us to keep paying for him, and he is over thirty now. Any advice would be most appreciated. Our hearts are broken, because we want to help but we have tried everything. Thanks.

Last edited by sweetcheeks57; 01-21-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I made it a bit shorter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread