It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Does My 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia (continued)?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #121
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
    Re: Does My 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia (continued)?

It's handy to have room mates with food on a day like today!!!

It is difficult to tell whether the Abilify is helping - one moment I think it is, but then something happens, which signifies it is not. I would say that overall, there is improvement, certainly her symptoms are not worsening - but she is up and down. It is difficult to fully assess as sometimes the symtoms go in phases, where they lie low, but within a couple of days resurface. At the moment, it is managable - but as you will know more than I do, psychosis is unpredicatable. She has not deteriorated, which must be a positive.

Keep warm

SG

Last edited by Strawberry Girl; 02-01-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #122
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

SG,

I was the only person who was abused in my family.

Today I need to run some errands (grocery shopping, bank, drugstore), so I will be busy until I return home later.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 02-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #123
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

It will be good for you to go out and hopefully provide you with a distraction - albeit temporarily - from Jill.

We have snow in the UK and this evening it is settled on the ground. I understand from MSD it is cold there too, so wrap up warmly.

SG

Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #124
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- I don't know if you are aware (since you live in the UK, and American football is not popular there...obviously), but tonight is the Super Bowl. It should be fun, since a bunch of my friends are coming to my room to watch the game, and eat copious amount of disgusting junk food, LOL. But anyway, it should keep my mind off school for a while, which has been taking up too much time lately.

I am going home the weekend of the 13th (weather permitting) because one of my cousins is getting married, so that should be a nice break too.

I am please to hear that your daughter, for the most part, is improving. I know it's like a roller coaster...up and down all the time. But it will get better.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #125
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD

It sounds as if you are enjoying a sociable weekend! Well done!

You mentioned the Super Bowl - oddly enough, I have just heard that the BBC
    are covering it live between 11 and 3.10 a.m. Enjoy your 'copious amount of junk food' - there is no harm occasionaly - partcularly if it saves you a trip to the dinning hall!

I am pleased you are going home for the weekend of the 13th. I am sure your parents will be delighted to see you. It will also be the beginning of half term in UK schools. We are going away to the coast for 5 days. Lol..only us Brits would go away to the beach in winter! It is still snowing heavily outside.

I hope you have a fun evening with your friends. Our coverage of events is just beginning - the current focus is on your new president. So which team are you supporting/is there a dorm. divide?!!

SG

Last edited by Strawberry Girl; 02-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #126
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- I am cheering for the Cardinals because they are the underdog. It's most probable that they will lose against the Steelers, but everyone loves the underdog. I'm really a NY Jets fans, but AS ALWAYS, they blew it this season LOL. Most people in the dorm are cheering for the Cardinals with the exception of a few people. I'm sure I will hear tons of yelling and screaming coming from all around campus (much like what happened when Obama was elected, due to excitement). Tomorrow I'm back to classes, but now that I don't have engineering, my day is a lot shorter which gives me more time to relax and get other work done.

Last edited by MSD607; 02-01-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #127
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SG,

Good news. I was busy today running errands and didn't think about Jill even once. Maybe things are going to change for the better and I really can reach the point where I can accept that Jill is no longer with me. Smile.

By the way, I'm glad your daughter's symptoms are remaining stable. That's definitely a good sign!
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #128
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Wow, you guys have sure been busy! I'm sorry I havent had a chance toread through all the post but I did notice Dreams that you had had a great day wohtout thinking of Jill....you are wonderfully brave at facing your challenges and while you may feel that you are just venting yourself in this thread, you may not realise that you are also teaching me a great deal!

SG - you and I almost need a thread of our own...come and have a look a the depression board!....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry Girl View Post
    j
    Your post struck several chords with me and you are probably correct in your observation that I am exhibiting symptoms which do indicate I am depressed. Why is it - when I connect the word to myself - I regard it to be associated with self pity, self indulgence, weakness and selfishness? If it were anyone else, I would be empathetic and recognise it to be either symptomatic of their circumstances, experiences or a chemical inbalance - or a combination of all of these?....

..... Did this added insight into your experiences/circumstances give you 'permission' to acknowledge and accept you were depressed and that this was not due to a character flaw?

SG, it is interesting that you can see that you have the symptoms of depression and yet you cannot allow yourself to pay attention to them and consider their meaning. Yes you are spot on about my psych pointing out that of course I was depressed giving my circumstances, yes it did give me persmission, that I wasent a freak or abnormal or pathetic. It was an extremely important step in accpeting and thus dealing with it. It is the hardest part of the journey....and yes SG, if it were anyone else you would be kinder....it's not a character flaw!!! I saw it a weakness, a flaw, selfish etc etc too. IT took my psych quite a while to convince me that it was OK to admitt to it.

Hope all is well with you.

J

Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #129
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Hi All,

It is thick snow in the UK. My 8 year old was thrilled to learn that her school has been closed for the day - lol...not that I had any intention of going out in this! Is it snowing in the US too?

JSfai

Maybe I do need to cruise over to the depression board, as I do not want my 'woes' to dominate this one, since I began this one to identify and understand my daughter's illness and needs - lol....not my own!

How are you J and how was your weekend? Ours was good - the girls had lots of fun.

MSD:

So.....who won the Super Bowl last night?

There was also celebration in the UK when Oboma was elected. Even my children understood the significance of it. I can imagine there was a wonderful atmosphere on campus on the day he was elected.

Dreams:

I am so pleased you had a positive day yesterday. I did hope that running errands would provide you with a distraction and it did. You may face ups and downs as you come to terms with the fact Jill is no longer there, but yesterday was a step forward.

How often are you able/do you go out during the week? I know your illness is unpredictable, but it might help if you were able to structure your week and schedule in an outing/visit friends ect. I do not know what resources are available in the US, but are there any resource centres you can access?

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #130
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

Our oldest had her first day at school today...too cute for words....I am now exhausted!!! LOL

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #131
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

J:

Oh how sweet... they are so tiny when they first begin. How was she on her first day....and how were you? It is the closing of an old chapter and the beginning of a new one. Will she be doing a full day or will she have a gradual introductory period before becoming full time. When my eldest begun school for the first time I cried all the way home - even though she had been at Nursery for 2 years prior to this, but only on a part time basis.

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #132
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SG,

Since it is winter here, I don't get out much because I can't drive. I really don't get out of my house except during the spring, summer and autumn months. It's part of the reason why I'm so depressed this time of year. I do plan to move to Arizona this summer because the cold, long winters we have here in the midwest are just too much for me to take. I also think that if I move to a warmer climate where there is sun 95% of the time, it will help relieve my rapid cycling. By the way, I'm still doing well and am not hearing any voices. I'm starting to miss Jill again today, but I think as long as I distract myself in other ways, I can try to minimize the way I feel. I think I will always miss Jill, but if I can control how I feel so that I'm not constantly thinking about her, that will definitely be a giant step forward in helping me cope. I also plan to discuss this with my therapist during our next appointment.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread