It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia? Part 4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
    Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia? Part 4

Hi

Welcome to part 4 of our thread. Any newbies are welcome to join us, but you will need to scroll down to find my original posting on this thread (January 09).

Dreams:

I am sure the weather is a contributory factor towards your health. We also have a tendency to become more isolated in the winter, not venturing out as often as we may in the summer - even if it is a only to walk to the shop. I am very unsociable at the moment as I am not feeling in the mood for company. Today I am at home with my children - the snow is thick on the ground - but I am enjoying the sanctuary of not needing to go out. IT feels safe here with just the 3 of us. If it continues tomorrow, I will venture out to the local tea rooms, otherwise I will become increasingly insular and even less inclined to be amongst other folk!

It sounds as if you are beginning to manage your feelings about 'Jill' and I am pleased that you are going to discuss it with your therapist.

Dreams, I do feel it could be beneficial for you to be able to meet up with people who are in similar circumstances to you or......and for a variety of reasons this may be an impossible suggestion, but have you ever considered doing voluntary work? You are a always there to provide support for others on this board and I just wondered whether there are any opportunities for you to be able to do this in person? It would provide you with a structure, a distraction and may even begin to restore your faith in human nature.

SG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Re: Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia? Part 4

SG,

When I was inpatient last month, I was given the names of several Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support groups. I haven't called them yet because I keep forgetting to, but will make a note to do that today.

I haven't had the emotional stability as of late to volunteer due to my recent psychotic episode, rapid cycling and psychotic depression last month. I would love to volunteer my time to help others, but would like to maintain some degree of stability for 1-2 months before I do so. I don't think I can be of help to others if I am not in a good place emotionally and do not want to risk rapid cycling again or experiencing another psychotic episode because I am not ready to handle whatever is thrown at me during my volunteer experience.

Having said that, as soon as I've been stable for 1-2 months, I will definitely look into the possibility of volunteering. I used to work at a local deafblind center in my area and really enjoyed the experience. I love to help others and think volunteering my time would be an excellent way for me to keep my mind off of Jill as well as to start developing my trust in others.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-02-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams

Yes, it would be sensible for you to enjoy a period of stability before you commit. I thought of voluntary work because I know you do not want to feel reliant upon anyone else whereas by becoming a volunteer, you become the one relied upon. For you this is a 'safer' place to be, as to a degree you are the one in control. It is also a contact base - which all of us need, even though we may feel we do not.

I can understand if you are warey of contacting the Depression and bi-polar goups - but by doing so you have nothing to lose. If you go and you feel it is not for you, for whatever reason, you can choose to leave - but perhaps there is a group out there, which will meet your needs and where there will be people with similar experiences and perspectives to your own?

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- The Pittsburgh Steelers won (unfortunately), but it was a great game. It was absolutely crazy when Obama won..people were running around screaming, fireworks were going off, and people were crying of excitement. It was really cool because it was the first time I was able to vote in an election, and it was also the most historic election in America's history.

Anyway, New York got some snow, but the real storm is supposed to hit tonight and tomorrow. That should be bad- I hope school is canceled.

How is your daughter today?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

London has been at a virtual standstill today with the transport systems in chaos. It has been the worst snow for 20 years. The girls loved it and spent almost 2 hours in the outdoors.

How was school today and how are you feeling?

My daughter's mood has been challenging today, because of her anger. At other times she has sat and starred ahead, occasionally appearing troubled. I have sought to occupy her by playing games with them both - but it has not been the easiest day. Since early evening she has been experiencing voices and hallucinating - but her distress is containable - hopefully it will not escalate as the evening draws on.

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- How much snow did you get?

I'm sorry to hear your daughter did not have a good day. School was okay...I have a math exam on Thursday and psychology and chem exams next week, which I'm stressing over. Hopefully things won't get too out of hand.

When your daughter experiences symptoms does she isolate herself?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SG,

The only thing about the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support group that worries me is the fact that some members may not understand what it is like to hear voices. That is a significant part of my bipolar and a symptom that very few people with bipolar experience. I called 2 support groups in my area and am waiting for them to call me back. I've decided to attend 1 or 2 meetings just to see what it's like. If I find it beneficial and am comfortable, I'll stay. If not, I'll leave.

How is your daughter doing today? Well, I hope. Smile.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD:

Please do not worry too much about the forthcoming exams. Do you set out a revision time table to prepare?

Yes my daughter can isolate her self when experiencing symptoms such as mood changes e.g. she will refuse to play with her sister, prefering to play alone, will sit in the hallway in darkness or go into the bathroom to be alone. I have noticed how she stares ahead recently and when I call her name she does not respond, but continues to stare. I need to be careful not to automatically attribute all behaviours to an 'illness', because children can also naturally have low days, but it may not necessarily mean this a symptom. I suppose all I can do is monitor her behaviours and note down any which appear unusual or give cause for concern.

MSD, are you on meds at the moment?

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams

I am pleased that you called two support groups in your area and hope they will return your call soon. When the person calls maybe you can ask whether they have other members of the group who also experience psychosis/hear voices?

I understand your worry - but I think people will accept you as you are and hopefully you will find people with similar experiences to your own. I am sure if you discuss your concerns with the person who calls you they will be able to allay your fears.

My daughter has been volitile today and on occasions she will just stare ahead and not respond to my calling her name. All I can do is monitor her for now. It may just be a 'mood' as children experience or it may be a 'symptom' of her illness - confusing She has been hearing voices and hallucinating - these involve death. being killed or kidnapped.

Take care

SG

Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- My professors give me extra time on my exams, but I try not to use it because I don't want to use my illness as an excuse (even though I know it's not an excuse, sometimes I feel as though other students resent me). I think I will do well though, because I have been able to keep up with the homework, and I am actually ahead of the syllabus right now.

I am on meds right now; abilify, zoloft, ambien, zyprexa, and another med to help with my catatonia, because I tend to zone out a lot and can remain in certain positions for hours without moving, and I don't even realize it.

Does your daughter have trouble with sleeping and depression too?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SG,

One of the leaders of the support group called me back. I took your advice and explained to her my fears about people not understaning the fact that I hear voices. She reassured me that she will not tolerate members of the support group criticizing anyone for anything they mention in group and that it is designed to be an encouraging environment where one feels safe. That alone makes me feel better.

Regarding your daughter, I may be wrong about this, but the fact that her voices center around death, dying and being kidnapped seems to be a commonality among those of us who experience auditory hallucinations. The 4 voices I hear always focus on death, dying and trying to convince me of the fact that I died in an auto accident and am in h*ll.

When I started experiencing auditory hallucinations in 1991, my voices were much tamer than they are now. Most of what they said to me was limited to criticizing the things I said or did, but now they focus on death, dying, commenting on the things I say or do, commanding me to harm myself, trying to convince me that I'm dead and telling me what an awful person I am.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD

I am pleased you are feeling reasonably confident regarding your forthcoming exams. I too am confident you will acheive well.

Your illness is not an 'excuse' to allow for extra time when doing exams, it is a valid reason. Do you have evidence to suggest the other students may resent this or is this your perception based upon your need to prove you are as able to do this within the time scales as they are? If it were someone else in your position, you would be consderate of their needs - correct? I would imagine the meds. you need, can slow down your thought processes and responses, which is only one reason why you would be entitled to additional time.If you feel you need the additional support then please accept it.

My daughter does experience sleep disturbances e.g. not being able to sleep until midnight onwards and then waking early. Occasionaly she will wake inbetween. I would not describe her as 'depressed' but she does experience sadness, particularly following an angry outburst, where she will become tearful.

I am going to bed now as it is almost 2 a.m. in the UK.

SG

Last edited by Strawberry Girl; 02-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
    Strawberry Girl
    (female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams:

I am pleased to hear that the person returned your call and you did discuss wih them your concerns. It sounds as if it could be a theraputic environment for you to be in. Have you arranged to go to one of the meetings, or are you leaving it open?

Yes I have noted that those who hear voices often report hearing them say similar things to my daughter's. In the beginning her voices were not threatening - they used to ask her to complete bizarre routines, criticise her or ask questions about people within her class.

Dreams, it is 2 a.m. in the UK and I am tired so off to bed now.

SG

Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SG,

I plan to attend both meetings (as soon as the other leader calls me back) to see which one I feel most comfortable with. I do think this will be a positive experience for me in being able to support others and relate to those who understand what I am going through. My therapist suggested I join a bipolar support group a long time ago, but I wasn't ready to do so at the time. Now I am. I'm also thinking about joining a support group for people with schizophrenia so that I can discuss the issues I have in regards to missing Jill.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSD,

Have you ever joined a support group for people with schizophrenia? I wonder if I will be allowed to join such a group since I don't have schizophrenia per se, but a schizophrenic form of bipolar instead.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread