It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Stressing over what to do and what not to do to help my son

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
    hathada
    (male)

hathada HB User
    Re: Stressing over what to do and what not to do to help my son

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but I'll just say it again, because it worked for me and hearing about your son reminds me of what I was going through. Seriquel is a good drug, I'm on it my self and I think it works. But actually, Clonazepam will probably help him the most. I remember talking to a nurse who had spent most of her life trying to find a "cure" for schizophrenia. She once told me how amazed she was that when they'd get a patient who was stuck in that kind of schizophrenia called Catatonic Schizophrenia, which is a state where the person cannot even move and is stuck in the same, sometimes very painful position, for hours and hours. She said she was amazed that they'd give the person a shot of Ativan (which is in the same family of drugs as Clonazepam) and the person would come right out of the Catatonia.

Anyway. The reason I think Ativan and Clonazepam are effective is because they serve to reduce adrenaline levels in the body. More specifically, when the drug begins to calm the heart in particular the symptoms lesson quite a lot.

So, he's starting to feel things touching him. This is the tactile hallucinations that doctor's speak of. They have no idea how these things come about. I know exactly how they come about. Inside everyone's heart is a little man called the devil. Don't ask me how, but once he's inside there he manifests as a tall ghost that lingers like a shadow behind you. From this point he is able to deceive you, convince you that you can hear other people's thoughts, that other people can hear your thoughts, and, as well, he has the power to create pain, pleasure, or whatever in any part of your body, should he wish to. How do I know this? The guy did it to me constantly when I was very sick. Pains in my heart, my muscles, feelings of completeness, feelings of total freedom, and on and on and on.

However. Exorcisms aren't going to help. No priest is going to be able to drive the devil out of you. He's a little scared of Jesus. Maybe your son notices that when ever the name comes up he hears a distinct "hiss" from that serpent man behind him.

Anyway, there's not a lot we can do about the devil. He's the prince of this world, so the bible says. But like I said, he's in the heart, so the best way to control him or put a stop to his "fun and games" is to either take a drug like Ativan or Clonazepam, or learn how to focus all of your mental energy on your heart center, also known as the heart chakra. Or both.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything. I'm typing this as fast as I can and I can tell you that it's probably a hundred percent accurate. I hope it helps and at any rate you should at least talk to his psych. about trying an anti anxiety pill like Clonazepam. Take care and best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
    destinylv
    (female)

destinylv HB User

Thank you for responding and for the advice and info. They do have him on Seroquel, Zyprexa and Clonipine and he's doing SO much better now. He's even started socializing and has made freinds with the neighbors. There has been some downside to this also though. Unfortunetly I will have to tell you about it in another message as something's just come up that I need to take care of. I look forward to messaging back more later. Thank you again and I hope all is going well with you too. Take care.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
    kathyIS54
    (female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Destinylv,
    I'm happy for you that he is doing better, I have now learnt to understand about just how long it can take for the medications to work, our son is now at 1000mg seroquel a day and I see improvements weekly, he is to be discharged on Monday he has been there for his second stay since August 6th, It's been a long haul. Still no hard fast Diagnoise, Phyc Dr is labeling it Schizoaffective disorder.
    Our son has applied to move into a group home that is only for young men with Schizophrenia. However the Dr is worried they may not accept him without a diagnoise of schizophrenia.
    That is great that your son is starting socialize, that is a positive sign.
    I look forward to posting with you.

Take Care Kathy

Last edited by kathyIS54; 10-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #19
    attack123
    (female)

attack123 HB User

I would like to help. My son has a diagnosis of Schizophrenia. It happened three days after a head injury. Has your son ever hit his head? It is far more likely in someone who has. If his symptoms are also related to head injury or seizure disorder that can sometimes come from a head injury, then treatment is very different. And anti psychotics can lower the seizure threshold-causing more symptoms. These seizures are not the kind where the person falls down and shakes. They can cause auditory hallucinations and feeling like things are not real, or that family members are fake, or robots. My son said often that he believed he was "in an alternate reality" or "on a reality tv show" This symptom is called Capgras Syndrome or "Mistaken Identity Syndrome" and is common with frontal lobe head injury. Be especially aware if his eyes seem to be misaligned-one eye larger/lower than the other, or looking in another direction. Or if they seem vacant or distant or unfocused. If the pupils seem abnormally dilated. Also, if he is light sensitive, or holds objects up to one eye....or complains that he sees two of anything at the same time. Head injury is so often overlooked. Please let me know if I can help.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
    sdemster
    (female)

sdemster HB User

I have had a boyfriend for seven years who is schizophrenic. I would love to help you, maybe we can help each other actually.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #21
    deta
    (female)

deta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by destinylv View Post
    They won't commit him unless he's actually harming himself or others- I don't have authority to do so my self and he won't go willingly because he doesn't think he's schizophrenic. He BELIEVES his hallucinations are real. So what would you have done if you were in the same position and was unable to get into a doctor for help? What are other options available to me? I would love to talk to someone who's been thru this already to ask some questions about the best way to handle things and whether I should ban certain things like some shows he watches or whether it's ok to put crosses up because he says they help protect and stuff. By the way, I didn't adjust his dosage without researching the medication and dosages for an adult. I had to do something because doing nothing the last time ended up with him hospitalized with injuries. So if you have any advice, I'd sure be glad to hear it.
    I've dealt with several schizophrenic episodes and I've been committed temporarily without my consent. So, I know it can be done.

What you need to do is take him to the Emergency Room and tell the staff about the stuff he's doing. They will evaluate him and determine whether or not he needs to be committed. If they feel he does he'll be in there until he gets himself together.

You can also call the police... they can help you commit him for you if he really is trying to cut off his fingers.

Anyway, this is all stuff that my family did for me when I was going crazy. I resented them at the time but now that I'm normal I realize it was something that needed to be done. Ultimately, don't listen to your son when he says he doesn't need help because he does.

As far as the hallucinations, I have mixed feelings about the crosses and the exorcism. While they may make your son feel better, they're not going to solve the problem because schizophrenia is caused by a brain imbalance, not demons. And the only way to treat the brain imbalance is through psychotherapy, the right drugs and time. This is something your son is going to have to realize, even if it takes a forced trip to the Emergency Room.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
    destinylv
    (female)

destinylv HB User

Thank you all for replying and offering to help, This is Destiny's husband and with her recent promotion and starting back to school for her Masters she's up to her neck and has no time to breath. I'll be helping her out with this thread.
    I had just started a new job that took me out of town back in June my second day at work was when he had his ghostly battle and lost. Since I would be able to physically control him if needed I stopped working and stayed home to be his 24 hour caregiver.
    I'm going to give you a more in depth view of the last 7 months beings how I am with him all the time. It may help you or at least you'll see what we have tried.
    Back when he first was released from the 2 week in patient, The tox screens showed positive for pot and we suspected he was getting pills from the neighbors. At the time all we could do was give our opinions on it, since he was 25 and an adult. After his episode that changed. We took control of his car, money, and time. He was still allowed 400 a month spending money and since I was always with him that worked out pretty good.
    In mid Sept he became friends with the neighbors behind us. We were ecstatic over this because that was the first time in 4 months he even showed and interest in being around someone other than us (his immediate family), If we only knew how that was going to backfire.
    By the end of the first week we found out that they are avid ghost enthusiast and were trying to convince us that he was seeing and hearing real ghosts and pretty much convinced him of the same. We tried telling them that no, along with the ghost battle he also thought he could change lyrics on the radio, that he could control demons, that the TV and radio were sending him messages, he was having tactile, audio, and visual hallucination, possible Christ complex when it was angels talking to him not the demons telling him to burn. unfortunately this went in one ear and out the other.
    Within the next two weeks he started drinking more becoming highly argumentative and generally acting like an ***. His bible reading and listening had gone up, he started wearing his beanie again and not wanting to be alone. We suspected that he may be doing drugs again or that his medication was just not working anymore. My relationship with him started to suffer drastically at this time.
    Two weeks after he started hanging out with them we were on the way to see his therapist and he went ballistic in the car. Screaming at his mother and I, threatening both of us with violence ( even saying he'll take me out right now and i was driving) I started my phone recording the incident and when we sat in on the session we played it for the Dr. He was going off about how his mother was embezzling money from him, that he was 25 and he wanted his main bank card not just the 400 a month allowance card that he's an adult, he wants his car back now, he's going to move out, he don't need medication except for adderal and lorcet for his pain, f- the doctors, he's going to control his medication now( we had control since he was over doing it when he had it and was running out 2-3 weeks early the year before),
    Well we made some general concessions during that meeting with the Dr. to alleviate his suspicion about his money being used we locked his card up in a strong box that we had a key to and then put it in another chest with a lock that only he had a key to. Unless he broke into the second box nobody could touch it with out both keys. He accepted that but a week later he didn't remember us giving him the lock package, him opening it and making sure that the two locks were different or where he put the key. He got verbally abusive again calling his mother retarded that she was stealing his money never gave him a key, yada, yada. He went into his wallet to get something and discovered he put the key in there. His memory was never great but it is getting alot worse. He took back possession of his car keys and within a week over drew his acct by 200 and tried to get drugs from our old neighbors, was buying alcohol and was generally getting out of control.
    For the next few months he then would overdraw his acct constantly have to have money taken out of savings to cover the up to 400 dollars extra he was going in the hole. He would almost daily try to start arguments about how he's 25 and a man and can do what he wants.
    Well this all came to a head the week of thanksgiving, He asked for extra money to buy some video games, he got it and come Monday he was acting real funny. Tuesday morning i woke him up for 9am meds and he was exhibiting every sign of massive withdrawal. EMT's were called and he had a pulse rate of 160. So..... On to the emergency room. Turns out he had bought 30 or so xanax from the old neighbors we had and smoked about 200 or more in Crack/Coke. Now for his pain management on beurgers disease he had been put on Suboxone. All benzodiazipines (klonipon), narcotics (Lorcet), and amphetamines(adderral) had been weaned off so he could take this. It has a Narcotic Antagonist in it that will force you into Major with drawl symptoms if you take anything else but it. We had warned him his Dr's had warned him and he thought he knew better. Well he almost died and didn't remember anything from Monday till Thursday.
    All privileges have since been removed, no car, no money period, and he can't go anywhere without someone. As you can guess this is going over like a cat in a dog kennel.
    On a good note his meds had been changed to geodon 80mg twice a day and it has him alot more aware of his position and we believe it is working real well but it also has him to the, there is nothing wrong with me I don't need Dr's or medication stage.
    Well that about sums up the last 7 months highlights. This was a bit long winded but I believe to offer advice its better to know more of a problem then just surface topics. Deta, sdempster, Kathy and all else we would be happy to take and offer any advice, comfort or ideas. Thank you again for the post attack123 but after looking at his medical history for the last 3 years prior and just knowing that before he had no head injury that was not the case.
    Long Days and Pleasant Nights
    Scorpio

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
    Thenelly
    (female)

Thenelly HB User

Hi, I am not familiar with this board. My question is for Attack123. My son has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia. This definitely did begin after a head injury, severe concussion, or shortly after. He was 18 when the accident occurred and going on 20 when all the rest of the pshychotic things started. The therapists and doctors are unsure if the head injury had caused it, added to it, etc. He will ask me sometimes was that really you Mom, and then tells me I looked a bit different, and he thought it may be someone else (an imposter). Recently he has been hospitalized again(after going off his meds). We want to have everything checked or tested. I was so glad to see your post.
    How do you go about finding brain damage, if they are not willing to sign that a Neurosurgeon check them over. It has been so long he has forgotten what he was normally like before this.
    What is different about treatment meds? Where do I go for more info on this? Help please.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #24
    attack123
    (female)

attack123 HB User

Hello,
    Please be patient and I will get back with you. I am trying to get the email of a professional who may be able to help you. Is there a way to do private messaging on this forum? He is all too familiar with seizure disorders (and seizures are often caused by head injury) mimicking psychiatric disorders. I will keep checking back to see your response. If he does not reply soon, I will share my own opinion, but, it is just mine...not one of a professional, so I would rather you hear it from him, okay? Thanks and I will keep your family in prayer.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-24-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
    attack123
    (female)

attack123 HB User

At the risk of sounding like a broken record myself....Have you ever hit your head? When was iti? Have you ever had an EEG? If clonazepam has helped, it is also an anti seizure drug, not a major one, but an anti seizure drug nonetheless. Seizures can mimic all kinds of major psychiatric disorders. It happened to my son who developed complex partial complex seizures (not the kind in which you are shaking on the ground-those are different). That was one of the clues-that clonazepam helped him. But, I do not know if Ativan is related to Clonazepam so please ask your professional. As for my son, he was started on major league anti seizure medications and has improved dramatically. Anti psychotics, however, can lower the seizure threshold, if you do indeed have seizures and may need to be reviewed.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
    kathyIS54
    (female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Scorpio, Thanks for the update, your son is very lucky to have the support of his parents. You and your wife must be exhausted, kudos to you both for hanging in there.

Things are going well with my son, he did get a spot in the group home and is looking forward to moving in Jan/10. He is alittle reserved about it, but he knows he has to move on with his life, he will be in an out patient program to work on his life skills, independance, education path. He will get re-evaluated by the head of Mental health Phyciatrist, undergo all new testings, cat scan etc. He will have a Mental health case manager to over see him. I can't tell you what a blessing this is, it is like a 2nd chance for him and he is so determined to win this, his goal is to return to college and restart his phycology studies.
    He was one of 6 appyling for 2 spots, it is strongly based on potenial and commitment to succeed, one thing we know helped is, our son has never done drugs and does not drink either.
    His biggest problem right now is lack of motovation, he is kind of in limbo, the seroquel makes it hard for him to wake up in the morning, he seems to be doing alot of thinking, no doubt wondering about the move to a new city, being away from home for the first time, and what his future is going to be.

You mentioned your sons meds were changed? how is that working out? I'm still alittle concerned about the level of seroquel our son is on 1000mg I'm hoping this will be assessed as well.

Hope things are going well and improving for him, keep in touch here.

Kathy

Last edited by kathyIS54; 12-27-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #27
    destinylv
    (female)

destinylv HB User

Thats Great Kathy,
    The fact that he is looking to get better is fantastic,we are both very happy for all of you. Couldn't have happened at a better time, a new year a new hope. What program is he going into to? Can you send us a link?
    We hope that one day ours will except the fact that he has a problem and needs more help then we can give him or just at least get stable. Not going to hold our breath though reality just wont let us, lol.
    As to the change in meds we think they are working better than any in the past so long as he actually eats with them. The Geodon need to be taken with food in order to work right and be absorbed properly.
    At first I would wake him up at 9 he would eat a banana or pear take them and go back to sleep every day. Now in the last week he has stayed up more days than before and will do a bowl of cereal or a instant breakfast mixed with milk. With the restrictions he has been placed under( no car, no money, no total freedom) we think some of his extra sleeping may be the feeling like he has no control any more and depression coming through regardless of the effexor he's on. Of course his doc says he may still be having the jones for drugs and alcohol but only time will tell.
    He did apologize the other day for threatening his mother and me the night before Christmas; that was a shock! Him doing that though tells us something is better because he never apologizes for anything and means it, he truly seemed remorse full yesterday like he thought about what he did and really felt bad. Sounds screwed up to feel good about someone feeling bad but when apathy or anger is all we normally get it's a step in the right direction.
    As far as we are concerned The Geodon 80mg twice a day is great. He had to be weened of his zyprexa and seroquel before taking it so it was very rough that first few weeks but once it kicked in.......the jury is still deliberating but so far the majority is giving a thumbs up.
    Happy New Year
    Long Days and Pleasant Nights
    Scorpio

Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
    kathyIS54
    (female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Darn I was almost finished my post and lost it.

Here I go again

That is good new he apologized, shows that his thinking and emotions are not flat.
    I really thank you for conversing with me so many threads on forums you see many, many have read, but very few post a response.

Where we live there is not much support for menatl illness, they do the best, but with limited resources, so our son has to move to the city. But that is o.k. it is still a small city and very beautiful ( Victoria B.C. Canada)

Oddly enough effexor is what tipped our son into his first episode, the first 2 weeks were great he seemd to be coming out of the deep depression he had been in for 1 year, then week 3 we woke to him at 5 in the morning playing his guitar on the roof of our 2 story house, he would go for days with no sleep, get up at 6 am and get all his best clothes on and throw out his sleep pants. so he was taken off of it and put on tegertol same thing first 2 weeks doing great, then that is when the delusions and parinoira started, that tipped off his first stay at the phyc ward for one month and they started seroquel as he had a reaction to olanzapine.

So he is on 1000 mg of seroquel and all the delusions, flat emotions, grandiose thinking are long gone. However he himself said the other day he wishes he could have a bit of an anti depressent to beable to feel like doing things again.
    Today he came downstairs and said Mom do you want to go for a walk with me! We did about a 4 Km hike through the bird santuary near us.

It is still early days I think even though this has been going on since May when he got his first precription.
    But I feel he is on the mend and I pray the program he is going to will do the best for him.
    I can not send you a link, it is just part of the Mental Health Centre in BC, where he will be living is just a regular house and he will attend programs and the Jubilee Hospital near by. It is all covered by our medical system.

I'm happy for you and your son that the newmeds are working, our son too is feeling rather restricted, his car packed it in this summer and we were going to get a another one for him, but then he was in the phyc ward for 4 months in teh end so we did'nt bother, we have no puplic transportation where we live, so it is bike it or walk or get up really early and drive me to work and that raeley happens as I will not allow him to drive unless he is well awake and alert. so we have to watch the isolation issue.

Well enough for tonight, a Happy, healthy New Year to all of you.
    Kathy

Closed Thread