It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• schizophrenia vs. bipolar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2002, 08:34 AM   #1
    StarCat

StarCat HB User
    Post schizophrenia vs. bipolar?

Hi folks,

I've been posting on the Depression forum mostly about my boyfriends recent breakdown and hospitalization. He was previously diagnosed with Bipolar I Disorder, after a manic episode followed immediately by a depressive episode. I have Bipolar II Disorder (without manic episodes), and with all my experience and research, this seemed likely to be true.

I just learned yesterday that the Doctor treating him at this hospital is hesitating to diagnose my boyfriend until he can rule out schizophrenia vs. bipolar. My boyfriend has been exhibiting obvious symptoms of psychosis, but that can occur in both people with Bipolar or Schizophrenia. I am a bit distressed by this possibility - with Mental Illness, especially Bipolar, I'm on familiar ground...Schizophrenia is foregin terrain for me.

I don't know what kind of info I'm looking for. I just wonder if anyone could point out some key distinguishing features of Schizophrenia vs. Bipolar so I could better understand what the Doctor is looking for?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much,
    StarCat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2002, 10:32 PM   #2
    Kokopelli
    Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
    StarCat,

Schitzophrenia is different with each person.. some withdrawl from others some tend to cling so to say. My brother for example tends to do both which is what gets him into alot of trouble. He'll be fine one minute and loving to people then the next he'll be someone totally different. It's not an easy job taking care of him. They should not rule it out if he changes schitzophrenia is still a mental illness we DON'T understand yet and it will be a long time before we do because of the frequent changes in people who have it. I have alot of info here on it if you want some more links let me know I will post them please please don't give in to this it's going to be a tough road but one you can work with if he is taking the right meds. god bless

Koko

Old 08-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
    Bulb
    Inactive

Bulb HB User
    I kind of went through the same thing when they were trying to decide between schizo-affective disorder and major depression w/ psychosis. I guess one of the deciding things would be whether he has had positive schizophrenic symptoms without having symptoms of bipolar disorder at the same time.
    Good Luck and God Bless!
    Helena

Old 08-19-2002, 07:15 PM   #4
    Kristeen

Kristeen HB User
    Hi StarCat,
    In order to have a better idea of how to answer your question, what kind of schizophrenia are you talking about. There are at least five different variations of schizophrenia. I have a mother who is a parinoid schizo and a sister who is bi polar, her son was also diagnosied with schizophrenia, I am not sure which kind but he is doing much better, unfortunately my sister and mother are in their own worlds and in a constant state of denial. I work with a woman who is also schizophrenic, but functions wonderfully and does lots to keep herself functioning so well. Diet, counseling and knowing she has a chemical imbalance and isn't ashamed of it really makes a difference. She gives me hope for my nephew. Good luck
    Kris

Old 08-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #5
    bev52
    Veteran

bev52 HB User
    ((((((((((StarCat))))))))))

Closed Thread