It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Borderline Personality

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
    robinhood2002
    (male)

robinhood2002 HB User
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Borderline Personality

Hello. I am living with someone that I am trying very badly to help with their very strong mental problems, or maybe emotional. We have very little money and it has been hard to get insurance, go to the doctor, etc, but even more so we are worried about drugs, side effects, withdrawal, etc. I am pretty sure she has borderline personality disorder or something close to it, and all hope seemed lost till I heard about omega 3 fatty acids. She has been taking 2 pills of 900 mg's of the stuff a day for about a week and it has noticeably helped a lot. It however seems to wear off after awhile until she takes more instead of slowly getting better beyond the pills. Now, I had heard that some people said it takes 8 weeks to get better, others 3 months, and I would say this seems like a fairly severe case. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how fast this amount might start to show better and more long term results, how much more would be safe, and in general what to expect from this kind of treatment. I had hoped it would work because there is so much risk with drugs, treatment has never worked for her, and all around she just needs something to stabilize her brain so she will stop getting majorly upset all the time at very minor and unimportant things she can't control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
    Tori41
    (female)

Tori41 HB UserTori41 HB User
    Re: Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Borderline Personality

Your concern over a friend is very understandable. Sounds like her 'ups and downs' that causing a problem between two of you, even though you care about her so dearly.

In general, mental illnesses need medication to alleviate the symptoms. Without proper med., most of mental illnesses progress, if not in significant pace. Even within few months' period, it's getting from bad shape to worst one. Some of M.I.s end up in the hospital, due to agression or suicidal tendency caused by mental illness.

As to Omega-3 Fatty Acid, it might be helpful if her mental issue is very mild case, but not for mental illness you're describing, above. It sounds more likely Bipolar which is very similar to Borderline Personality Disorder.

It's very unfortunate to have mental illness, .... but as you read on this board, many of us are on the med., not only one even four different meds. to alleviate the symptoms. There are side-effects, but those 'side-effects' go away or if not, other meds. to choose from.

In regard to financial matter, .... it's advisable to go to Social Service and making an appt. with its counselar who would direct her proper treatment and even med. assistance in the state where she resides. Also, depending on her income, there is med. assistance here Internet to look for.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
    Alexa3
    (female)

Alexa3 HB User

I don't know what Texas offers, but here in Wa state there are places that offer free help if you qualify. These days as budget cuts deeper into health(60,000 on the insurance for working poor) will soon not have it, I lost mine, but I was finally on SS disability. Still, they think 2 people can live on 1,200 a month, you have to earn under that to get help with my premium and the 20% cost. I'm trying to find a psychiatrist or psychologist to help me with my mental health. No ones answered my question, so I guess I'll go Google it. I hope you find the help you need, it's good of you to help this person. In this day and age of everyone for themselves it's nice and rare to see a person helping another.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
    robinhood2002
    (male)

robinhood2002 HB User

Well, the fact is my hands are kind of tied. She has a crazy mother who never got her the help she needed but would not hesitate to sue me or make something up if I helped get her meds and anything went wrong. So I am really between a hard place and a rock, and she won't help herself. I am pretty much being forced to help her since while it started out friendly, she now refuses to leave my house and move back home because she threatens that she and her mom will make something up and sue me just to get revenge and money. So I am just trying to clear her head enough so she will see what she is doing is wrong with as little as possible disruption of my long term life but basically my own life is being destroyed here one way or the other. On the other end of trying to risk any and all problems just to get rid of her is the fact that I do not want to lose the trust of my parents, and if they knew I had been helping this person they warned me against I think it would destroy my relationship with them forever. So I am really screwed unless something cheap and with a lesser risk like the omega 3 fatty acids can actually work and make her normal. If not I feel trapped forever here.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
    robinhood2002
    (male)

robinhood2002 HB User

Thought I would update on the situation. It has been a little over two weeks and there has been great improvement thus far. However, just today she is having another bad day after almost a total week of good days, it had been amazing. It is muted, less severe, and overall better but I am still let down by it. I know it takes awhile to work but it was totally unprovoked, she woke up in a bad mood and stayed that way, it is very much a regression, though again I stress it is still better than before the pills. I can only hope things will continue to improve.

There has still not been a change enough of course for her to say what she is doing is wrong and try to make it right by leaving. I am not sure if that can be fixed or how. Basically she has been using me and I suppose if she is truly a rotten person then she may just continue to do so even if her emotional problems were medicated where she acted totally normal. That is what I am afraid of I guess, that she is just a true ***** like her mother and has no moral problem with taking and taking and never ever giving back in life, and still blaming everyone else for her problems. I am really at a loss what to do if that turns out to be the case. I appreciate the comments. I realize there is pretty much no way to do it I suppose without telling them. I simply remain too scared to do so-the approval of my parents means everything and this would hurt so much to reveal. This last week and a half or so had been an amazingly good time, really amazing-not sure what to think again after today though, I had actually gotten to the point where I could relax and feel alive again; now I feel my body tightening with the tension once more that an evil woman has control of my life and will never let go.

Closed Thread