It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• aggressive behavior from mentally retarded brother

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
    hilow1955
    (female)

hilow1955 HB User
    aggressive behavior from mentally retarded brother

My brother is 60 years old and mentally retarded (severe) from birth. He lives in a home with 4 other men and a caretaker. My problem is that he gets very angry when he has to return to his home after a visit with me. I had him here with my family and me for Thanksgiving and he wasn't too happy about returning and became violent with the caretakers so they tried him in a new home with someone closer to his age as a caretaker. He was with us at Christmas for almost a week and when we were almost back to his place he became violent and actually hit me. I had to call his caretaker to meet me as I was too frightened to drive any further with him in the confinement of my vehicle. I had to lie to him, which I hated to do that, and told him we would just go to my house. Any suggestions?

Last edited by hilow1955; 12-28-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: left part of a sentence out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
    Tori41
    (female)

Tori41 HB UserTori41 HB User
    Re: aggressive behavior from mentally retarded brother

Your brother sounds like no mental and emotional capacity to handle the difficult situation in needing to go back to his place. He also seems certainly not happy about his current arrangement with his roommates and other things in his place which might aggravate after his one-week visit to you and your family on which he felt tender, loving and caring atomosphere.

Regarding his aggressive behaviour, some medication might be helpful, however 'talk therapy' is rather recommendable because it has no relation to mental illness.

I suggest you to talk to his caretaker about his sudden aggressive behavior for an advice and guidance since you sound truly concern about your brother's sudden aggressive behavior after his one-week visit to you and your family.

Closed Thread