It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Depression and Obsession with Conspiracy Theories

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
    mick3y
    (female)

mick3y HB User
    Depression and Obsession with Conspiracy Theories

For a very long time, my dad has been quite in tune with various conspiracy theories... government conspiracy, aliens, and of course the ever-so-harrowing end of the world theories. He has always been interested in this stuff (to each their own), but I strongly believe that it is causing him to develop some psychological issues.

Now, I'm obviously not a doctor, so I'm not trying to diagnose something that may just be an interest that has gotten out of hand, but seeing my dad in hysterics about the world ending or some kind of theory about how the government is royally screwing the general population is very upsetting. He tells me about all these things, and I'll be honest when I say that it really does scare me when he tells me that he has been hearing the world is going to end next week. Not because I believe it, but because he believes it.

My dad battled cancer last year, and thankfully beat it. Unfortunately, as in many cases, he became quite severely depressed during and after his diagnosis. My family does have some history of depression, and I worry that this depression mixed with his obsession of all this negative information may cause some serious psychological damage... if it hasn't already.

I'm only 25 years old, and my dad is in his mid-50s. I'm very concerned about his well-being, but I have no idea what to do about it. My dad is a very sensitive guy, and his heart is really in the right place, but he is driving himself crazy with all of the things he reads and hears. I am in the process of seeking help for him, but I do not know where to start.

My question is this: is there anyone else out there who is experiencing/experienced a similar situation? How did you handle it? How did you get this person some help in order to get them out of the deep pit of depression they were in? Did the person talk to a professional? What was the outcome of their treatment, if they had any treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Depression and Obsession with Conspiracy Theories

Hi, I think that your fathers interest in conspiracy theories is an escape for him and it keeps him from focusing inward into himself. It also keeps his mind from going idle and you know what they say about an idle mind (it's the devils' workshop). So, as much as you think it is hurting him, in a sort of bizarre way it helps him. If he has clinical depression , if he sees a professional, then he/she will put him on medication. Does he work? Have friends? You are a very important part of your fathers' support system, so you may want to have a serious talk with him about seeking help and if he refuses then there is nothing you can do. Interestingly enough, having been in and out of mental hospitals all my life, the people obsessed with conspiracy theories have been paranoid schizophrenics. I am not saying your father is one of those but I just found that interesting. In the mean time just be patient and humor him because he is trying to cope the best he can. All the best.....

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
    mick3y (08-09-2013)
    Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
    growagourd
    (female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

I applaud you for you sincere efforts to understand and help your father. I agree that all these highly negative and inflammatory fears are difficult to witness as well as to live with. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it!

It is said that help is needed when a persons life is negatively affected by their preoccupation with things that impact their family life, their social life or their job. I do not know how he measures up in these categories, but he will have to be the one to seek help. That is not to say that your encouragement and support cannot be the catalyst toward his decision to open himself up to help.

I would encourage you to stay as closely connected with him as possible. Ask him if he would be happier if he could talk to someone about these issues, rather than take all this upon himself.

50 years old is not very old, and he should have a long and happy life ahead of him. as he watches you and any other of his children as adults. Listen to him very carefully, and provide that trusted ear for him to confide in. You may have to switch roles with him, being more of the parent than child.

Does he have medical insurance? It would be important to have doctors in his insurance companies list of authorized providers. All of this would have to be under his wishes, so my advice to you is to take your time and find out what he wants to do with all this. If he is not hurting anyone, perhaps you will just have to accept his views. If you feel he is at risk to himself or others, there are agencies there to protect him, such as adult protective services.

I wish you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to growagourd For This Useful Post:
    mick3y (08-11-2013)
    Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
    jtbny123
    (male)

jtbny123 HB User

I have a close friend with the exact same issues and I don't know where to go. My friend won't talk to a mental professional or consider medications because they are 'evil' and mind control drugs.

Everything is a conspiracy. I've considered calling the cops on him but he tells him girlfriend that he'll shoot himself or the cops. She seems to have given up and expects him to do it eventually.

Can I tell him i think everything he thinks is wrong and he should listen to me if he wants to live and go and get some help. I want to but I can't keep talking him off the edge... he has been wearing me out for 10 years with this.

Sugguestions please?

I really hope things are going better with your father, my friend. I know how you feel.

Jason

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    depression, mental disorders, mental illness, paranoia