It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Need advice on how to get some sleep

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
    ryarr
    (female)

ryarr HB User
    Need advice on how to get some sleep

A little background info:
    I am 32 and have been dealing with fibro for three years. I was diagnosed with primary immune deficiency five years ago. I've had chronic insomnia since I was a teenager, but it's become infinitely worse since my fibromyalgia started.

In the past, I have tried every prescription sleep medication on the market. In extreme cases I have even resorted to taking Zyprexa, which is used to treat psychotic episodes (and will pretty much knock anyone out for a solid day). I am bi-polar but have been able to manage it well for about six years. I wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s and finding the right combination of meds took a very long time, unfortunately.

I recently had my psychiatrist up my anxiety meds (Doxepin) to see if that would help with sleep - it did not. I have my neurologist up my fibro meds - that has helped with pain but not sleep.

I currently am taking Lamictal for bi-polar, Doxepin for anxiety/sleep, Gabapentin for fibro, tramadol during the day as needed for pain, Tizanidine at night for pain, and occasionally Xanax for anxiety/sleep. I also take herbal supplements - Pau D'arco and Melatonin for sleep, D3 and iron for energy, evening primrose oil (which a bunch of people recommended but I haven't seen much of an improvement), and recently ordered magnesium but have not yet started taking it.

I do light exercise regularly, meditate at bedtime, and also do sauna therapy.

The biggest problem I'm having is that if I don't sleep, it not only makes the brain fog, muscle fatigue, and pain worse - but it really messes with the bi-polar aspect of things. I have been doing so well I would hate to relapse at this point. I have called my psychiatrist again and am waiting to hear back to see if there are any possible new pharmaceutical solutions, but I'd much rather go the herbal route.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be truly grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
    35stitches
    (female)

35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User
    Re: Need advice on how to get some sleep

Acupuncture?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
    ryarr
    (female)

ryarr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 35stitches View Post
    Acupuncture?
    I have done acupuncture, red light therapy, and I still go to the chiropractor/physical therapy and get deep tissue massage (when I can afford it).

Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
    Jamie5577
    (female)

Jamie5577 HB User

I, too have had a lot of trouble with sleep. I have been on all of the sleeping pills. I am considering elavil right now as it is supposed to help with sleep and fibro pain. I was on trazodone for 10 years and it just stopped working. I take 50mg of seroquel right now and it seems to help a bit. I am flaring right now so it's just not cutting it. I take soma and it helps with sleep as well. Have you tried chammomile? Valerian Root? Kava Kava? Those are the 3 big herbal remedies for insomnia. Of course sleep hygiene is important too..google it, there are some great tips for how to relax yourself and get a better nights sleep. Good luck and I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
    ryarr
    (female)

ryarr HB User

I haven't tried Soma yet, but I should probably ask about it at my next appointment. My sister has Lupus and she uses it for pain.
    I'll check into those herbals as well. I'm allergic to chamomile (ragweed family) but I'm not sure about the others.
    I'm still in full flare so I will try pretty much anything Thanks Jamie5577!

Reply Reply

Tags
    fibromyalgia, insomnia, sleep