It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• What is wrong with my body?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
    whatsmyname

whatsmyname HB User
    What is wrong with my body?

On April 3 of 2003 I slipped coming down the stairs. I landed on my upper back. Since that time I have been dealing with so many symptoms that I can't remember them all. X-rays and MRI'S to my spine show no damage. I have been put on different antidepressants and pain pills but nothing helps. Now are prescription copays are so high I can't afford the pills. I have progressively gotten worse since my fall. My back hurts so bad (physical therapy and massage make it worse). It constantly aches and I get sharp shooting pain with physical activity. My arms and legs ache. I feel all over like you do when you have the flu. It hurts to walk because of the pain in my calves and in my feet. When I walk too far my chest starts burning. My memory is gone. I feel like I am in a constant fog. Sounds and background noise irritate the heck out of me. I am gaining tons of weight. I am also severely depressed. I can no longer do simple chores around the house because of the pain. My Dr. was suspecting MS but the MRI of my brain came out OK so now she is diagnosing me with Fibro. Is this a real disorder or is it what they decide to call it when there are no other answers? I don't mean to offend anyone by asking that. I am a 31 year old mother of 4 and I just don't want to live like this. There are days that I tell myself if one more thing goes wrong with my body I am going to end it all. I am no kind of mother to my kids now. I try to go to their programs at school and end up being in severe pain for 3 or 4 days after just from trying to sit for an hour.
    I guess I just needed to vent a little. I would love any advice about what I can do to begin feeling better.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User
    Re: What is wrong with my body?

I'm sorry to hear that your fall has caused you so much pain. The only other thing that comes to my mine is to try a chiropractor since you may have some vertabrae that are out of allignment, which can cause pain in many areas of your body.

I am curious to know if your phyiscal therapist told you if you have muscle spasms in your back? They take forever to go away even with muscle relaxers. I have gotten a lot of relief for muscle spasms and other pain with the "orignal" blue-colored pain gel that you can only buy on the net. Unfortunately, I don't think I am allowed to say the name of the product on this board. The main ingredients of the product are emu oil, aloe vera & MSM. I understand that the "take-off" products sold in drugstores, etc., do not work as well. If you don't know the name of it, try asking around to see if someone knows the name of it.

I hope you can get to the bottom of what is causing your pain soon. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
    Wittesea
    Inactive

Wittesea HB User

Dawn,

I am sorry for all you have gone through, and all of the pain it has caused you.

Yes, Fibro is a real diagnosis, although there are some doctors who do use it as a 'wastbasket diagnosis'... in other words, they use the word Fibro when they don't know what else might be wrong with you.

The best way to know if your doctor is feeding you a lin of bull or not is to get a second opinion. The diagnostic criteria for Fibromyalgia is set forth by the American College of Rheumatology, so a Rheumatologist is probably your best bet... see if your general practioner will give you a referral. Before you go see the rheumatologist, make an annoymous call to the office and ask if they diagnose and treat Fibromyalgia. There are still some Rheumatologists that don't believe in it (most of them are "old school" doctors).

If you are interested in learning more about Fibromyalgia I would suggest a book called "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofacial Pain: A Survival Manual" it is written by Devin Starlanyl, MD and Mary Ellen Copeland.

If the prescription that your doctor gave you are not helping, then maybe all you need is a change in medications. There are so many different anti-depressants and pain medications. It is just a matter of trying different things until you find what works for you and your body.

There are other things that you can do besides just medications... for me, something as simple as using a leg pillow when I sleep at night has made a huge difference in my lower back, hip, and leg pain levels. There is also massage, physical therapy, heat therapy, relaxation techniques, exercise, stress reduction, stretching, etc...

You said that you tried PT and massage and it made you worse... was that before or after your diagnosis? There are different massage and PT techniques for people with Fibro, so if it didn't work for you before, they may have been using techniques that are counter-indicated for Fibro patients... that would certainly make you feel worse... but now that you have a diagnosis of Fibro they may be able to do other types of massage and PT that will help you.

The big change that every person makes with Fibro though is the lifestyle changes. The don't have to be big changes... When I do the dishes now I rinse them and put them on the counter, and then put them in the dishwasher all at once (instead of bending over and putting each dish in the dishwasher individually after it had been rinsed)... vacuuming one room at a time instead of the whole house all at once...

...taking a seat cushion with you when you have to sit at school functions... getting up to stretch every 15 minutes instead of sitting for a full hour... having the kids carry their own laundry to the laundry room and then back to their rooms...

All simple little things, but when you put them all together, they can make a big difference in your pain and stiffness.

I don't make the bed anymore. It hurts too much and it doesn't make any difference in life if my bed is made or not I don't use a mop on the kitchen floor anymore, it hurts my back too much, now I squirt cleaner all over the floor then use 2 towels that I put under my feet and I slide around the floor... sure, the kitchen is not as spotless, but it's clean... I only use a mop if there is company coming over.

I use a foam leg wedge on the couch so that I can sit with my feet up, I do yoga, I use the 'scrub free' type of bathroom cleaners, I do a few errands at a time instead of all at once in one day.... I changed a lot of little things since I was diagnosed with Fibro, and it has all helped me to be able to cope with every day with reduced pain and stiffness...

I also made a point of finding a good doctor that is not afraid of prescribing strong medications for me when I am in a pain flare.

Another big thing with Fibro is sleep. It is not the quantity (how many hours) that you sleep, it is the quality (how deep you sleep). Try to get yourself into a bedtime routine and pay attention to your sleep hygiene. Do you sleep with the TV on? do you have any caffeine after dinner time? do you eat anything within 3 hours of going to bed? All of those things can reduce your body's ability to get deep, restful, restorative sleep.

Deep sleep is when your body restores and resets itself. If you are dreaming a lot, then you may not be getting very deep sleep... the restorivave sleep that your body needs is deeper than the REM dream-filled sleep. Most medications (especially pain meds) will interfere with the quality of your sleep. I take a muscle relaxer (flexeril) and an anti-depressant (trazodone) at bedtime to help me reach deeper sleep... it has helped me a lot.

If your legs and feet are hurting so much when you walk, you may need to actually stretch and exercise more. The muscles and tendons in your legs and feet with tighten up the more you sit... so you may want to try some stretching and light exercise to re-stretch your leg/feet muscles and tendons. Also, if you are having burning in your chest when you walk, it again, may be a sign of not enough exercise...

The same with your back... you may have healed from the fall, but are now feeling the pain of shortened, tightened back muscles... The original injury was probably some type of muscle strain or sprain or pull.... since there was nothing that showed on the MRI and X-ray, it is pretty safe to assume that it was a muscle injury of some sort... considering the amount of time that has passed, the original sprain/strain/pull has had time to heal, and you might be having pain still because of the tightening and and shortening of your muscles due to not using them....

When we are hurting it is only natural to stop doing a lot of activities and spend more time resting and relaxing... but doing that can make your fibro symptoms worse..... when we sit and relax all day our muscles becone shorter and weaker, we loose strength and flexibility... if you do some gentle stretching and mild exercising, you may notice an improvement in your over-all ability to do things with less pain...

Using heat on your most painful areas before you stretch will probably help you to stretch with less pain... if you take a hot shower or bath, and then do some small gentle stretching as you dry yourself off it may be easier on your muscles.

Yoga works for some people, pilates works for others, just a short walk around the block can do wonderful things for your body... increase your flexibility, strength, and stamina and decrease your pain.... start off very slowly and very gentle, and increase your exercise as time passes... I started off with a DVD called "Yoga for Inflexible People" It it very gentle and fairly easy for me.

I really hope that you find a balance of therapy, medications, exercise and lifestyle changes that works well for you to reduce your pain and increase your happiness... just keep trying different things until you find what works best for you... and whenever you feel like you need a good place to vent, this is a great place to do it Keep us updated on how you are doing, we love to hear sucess stories

Good luck,
    ~Wittesea

Old 01-03-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
    Wittesea
    Inactive

Wittesea HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixiepoodle
    Unfortunately, I don't think I am allowed to say the name of the product on this board. .

Pixie,

Everytime anyone says Paxil, OxyContin, Effexor, Tylenol, Advil, and every other medicine name we are naming products.

Here is a link to a post made by a moderator where he/she discusses that we can name product names but it is not appropriate to post a phone number or website where someone could buy the product

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=115129&highlight=produc t[/url]

I hope that helps to clear up any confusion... especially because I would love to know the specific name of the "blue stuff" that you are talking about

I hope that you are doing well,
    ~Wittesea

Old 01-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
    waiting4acure
    Inactive

waiting4acure HB User

I too had a similiar experience as you. I stepped off of my front step a year ago onto black ice and landed on my upper back . Ditto to test like yours. I felt as you do sometimes, but as time goes on you come to realize it is all trial and error in trying to find something that gives you relief. I have my ok days and recently really bad days. Not sure where it is coming from, but it is really painful. Have you tried Ultram? Before this episode I did find some relief with that and everything I read about it states it is safe without long term problems. Do not give up....yes this is something we have been dealt and there are no logical reason of "why us?" I have 3 children, two are in their early twenties and one 16. I am 47 and went through a very difficult childhood with abuse. I figure if I got through that...this is a piece of cake....stale, but cake. Ha We have to remember everyday, as difficult as the pain is for us....without us our children would suffer the greatest pain. HealthBoards has been a tremendous support system to me. The people are kind, understanding and compassionate. Each one knows what we are going through as they experience the same. Another thing that works wonders for me is pain relieving patches that are not prescription. They are not expensive and worth a try for you. Be strong...you will find something that gives you relief. Through my experience the first few months are the most difficult because of trial and error in what works for you. Gentle hugs...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
    whatsmyname

whatsmyname HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. It does help to know that other people understand. When I had the physical therapy and massage it was before my fibromyalgia diagnosis. My Dr. suggested another try at it to see if it would help. I was just scared to do it again because of how much worse it made it the first time. I will talk to her about it again. She wants me to have a massage done but I just can't afford it. She also told me to get a Shiatsu massager. I use it occasionally but most of the time just anything touching my skin is excruciating. It may to my advantage that my doctor has fibromyalgia also. I also take flexeril and trazodone at bedtime. It doesn't do a lot for the pain but I do sleep pretty good. Well, at least I thought I was until I read your posts. I have many off the wall dreams each night. I think that the Trazodone is making me too drowsy during the day though. I take Ultracet during the day. I go back to the Dr. this Thursday so I am going to ask for some new meds. I wish there was something she could give me for my appetite. I don't know if it is the meds or the depression but I am hungry all the time. I use the heating patches and muscle rub. I also use a heating pad. I got a huge body pillow to use when I sleep. I have been sleeping on the couch since my fall because it hurts too much to lay in the bed. Before all this happened I did have a few extra pounds on me but I was very active. My youngest child is a rambunctious 2 year old. So despite not feeling well I have remained quite active. I just have to push myself physically to get things done. I have learned to do what I can as far as taking care of the house. My husband and my kids have to help out lot more. I still do the grocery shopping and other household errands all while toting along my son. A lot of times when I go to the grocery I will go to one of the big ones like Meijers so that I have to walk more. The simplest things just wear me out and I end up feeling worse if I lay down to rest. Speaking of rest I better get off of here. I have an appointment in the morning with the Neuropsych Dr. in the morning to go over my test results. He will probably tell me it's all in my head..LOL.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

Old 01-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

The name of the pain gel is "blue stuff". However, they sell a gel called "super stuff" that is the same thing only its white, doesn't have a nasty smell and contains very little capsium (which tends to burn my skin). They sell a bunch of other products that end with the word stuff, but I can't vouch for it - only the super stuff which helps a lot. It is expensive, but I believe its worth every penny. Let me know if you order it and how it works for you.

Closed Thread