It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• can i live a full life with fibro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
    dramagurl704

dramagurl704 HB User
    can i live a full life with fibro

i am fifteen and recently diagonsed w/ fibro the pain and fatigue has became so unbearable how will i ever be able to go to college, become an actress, have kids, or do any of the things i want so badly in life if i can't even go one day with out being exhauseted and in pain. i really could use some help in learning how to deal with this diesease. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
    la_brat
    (female)

la_brat HB User
    Re: can i live a full life with fibro

I am really so sorry. We have two daughters with FMS. They are 25 and 20 years of age. We so far have not found much of anything that helps the chronic fatigue and pain. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is to remain hopeful that you will eventually be able to do the things you now dream to do. Don't compare yourself to friends that do not have this disability. Be open to creative ways to do what you want. Having a computer opens many doors. Try to remain up beat. Your outlook will make a difference in how bad you feel. FMS is worse with stress. I hope you with your parents and the school personnel have made arrangments that acknowledge your illness with a special educational program to handle the periods when FMS gets in the way of your public education.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
    Wittesea
    Inactive

Wittesea HB User

dramagurl,

Hello and Welcome!

You can have a very full life with Fibro. My mom has Fibro too and she did home-day-care for years, and that is a lot of hard work... running after 2 year olds for 10 hours a day is tough for someone with Fibro, but my mom did it for a very long time.... She is now and office person and she works 50-60 hours a week. Her Fibromyalgia has not slowed her down at all.

The best way to learn how to feel your best (despite your Fibromyalgia) is to learn all the things that might possibly help, and try them all. Everyone with Fibro is so different, that it is all about finding the proper balance that makes you feel the best.

Also- Attitude is everything! Don't ever give up and don't ever let this illness get the best of you... you can be anything you want to be and do anything you want to do... with Fibro you may need to pace yourself a little more, and it might take you a little longer to do things, but you can absolutely do them!

With Fibro you will go through flares. Times when it hurts a lot... but when you are not in a flare, you can feel great. For some people the flares last a few days or a few weeks... other people flare for a few months or a year or longer... but, there are ways to "bust-up" a flare.

When I go into a pain flare and I am in a great deal of pain, my doctor gives me extra pain medications so that I can feel better quicker. With Fibromyalgia you need to break the pain cycle (and it can be broken!). You will not always be in so much pain, and you will not always be this tired.

There are way to combat the fatigue of Fibro.

One way is to make sure that you stick to the same exact sleeping schedule every night. You want to make sure that you are sleeping deeply enough, and that you are getting approx. 8 hours of sleep a night. Anything less than 7 or more than 9 hours can and will make you more tired. There are medications that can help you sleep better.

Another way is to get your pain under control, If you are constantly hurting, it will wear you out and make you exausted.

What do you do to relieve your pain? Have you told your doctor and your parents that your pain is unbearable?

It is hard to manage your activity level when you are in school, but when you are in a pain flare you also want to make sure that you are not over-doing it. Not getting enough exercise can cause pain and stiffness, but getting too much will cause pain too. You have to find a good balance of activity... which I know is hard to do when you are in school and have to walk to all of your classes and sit in uncomfortable chairs.

There is a lot of information about Fibro in this thread-
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139504[/url]

I also recommend a book called "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofacial Pain: A Patients Manual" it is written my Devin Starlanyl, MD and Mary Ellen Copeland. It will teach you and your parents a lot about Fibro.

One of my favorite parts of the book talk about what you should expect from your doctor. After I read that section, I got a new doctor because my old doctor was not taking my complaints of pain seriously enough. (He told me to learn to live with the pain). My new doctor gives me medications and physical therapy to help make the pain go away

I am on my way to bed right now because I have a big day tomorrow. If you have any other questions I will be back tomorrow, and there are lots of good people here who can also help you

I wish I had more time right now... but I really need my sleep for tomorrow... but I will definately be back with some more ideas for you tomorrow afternoon

{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}
    ~Wittesea

Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
    painsucks
    (female)

painsucks HB User

Well Wittesea pretty much says it all! Absolutely, you can live a full life with fibro, don't let it beat you! You've got to learn to "listen to your body" and it takes a while to figure this out. But again, as Wittesea pointed out, make sure you maintain a normal sleep pattern. If I go to bed at 9:00 every night, I can get up at 5:00 a.m. to get ready for another day, if I don't get to bed until 11:00 or later, I struggle so much to get through a day. I'm a paralegal and I drive 80 mile round trip commutes to work 5 days a week. I've raised two boys and now have my 3rd grandchild on the way. I've made adjustments, and I can't run 3 miles a day like I did before I was diagnosed 10 years ago, but I can do yoga and pilates, great ways to keep your body used to exercising. Just remember, attitude goes a long way, and taking care of YOU is your number one priority! If you take care of yourself, you'll see that you can do many, many things. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
    dramagurl704

dramagurl704 HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. I know it will get better. I ussually have a good attitude but the day i wrote this was a really bad one for me. Please know that i am always here for you just like you were for me.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
    sammikins

sammikins HB User

hey
    I'm 17 and have fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome. firstly, yes you will get better, maybe not completely but you should improve and it sounds like you have the right attitude to help!! i have improved so much in the last year since i became ill, i do 75% of school atm (but social life very limited), and am applying to do medicine at uni next yr. You can lead a full life, you will have to learn how to pace yourself and your activities and limit things that arent helping. If you want to chat about anything, feel free to pm me.
    sam xx.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #7
    Wittesea
    Inactive

Wittesea HB User

Dramagurl,

We all have our bad days when we feel absolutely desperate for relief. I remember at one point last year I was so desperate for some type of pain and symptom relief that I would have eaten dog poop if I thought that it would help

The important thing is that we do our best to have more good days than bad days.... and just knowing that there is a whole group of great people online that will help me through my bad days makes it easier

I am glad that you are feeling better today.

~Wittesea

Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 AM   #8
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User

I was glad to see this thread. I was recently told that I may have fibro. My sister tells me there is no way I have it. She said if I did have fibro, I wouldn't be able to function at all. I brought this up to my doctor and he said that is not true at all. People with fibro have good days and bad days! In fact most people I have told what my doc suspects say oh you don't have that! I get tired or I get muscle pain, it's all normal. ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lynda

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wittesea
    Dramagurl,

We all have our bad days when we feel absolutely desperate for relief. I remember at one point last year I was so desperate for some type of pain and symptom relief that I would have eaten dog poop if I thought that it would help

The important thing is that we do our best to have more good days than bad days.... and just knowing that there is a whole group of great people online that will help me through my bad days makes it easier

I am glad that you are feeling better today.

~Wittesea

Old 01-08-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
    painsucks
    (female)

painsucks HB User

Keystone,

I can relate to those people that say "oh, my back hurts today too" if I mention that I am in severe pain. In fact, one of the worst to do this is my husband! I know he doesn't mean to minimize the pain I'm in from this disease, he does understand, but for example, just last night my right knee was the point of severe pain. So I said something about it at dinner and he said, "yeah, well my shoulder hurts and my knees hurt too honey, we're just getting old" I wanted to kick him! But you are right, people with fibro do function, in fact, most days I work circles around my 19 year old daughter in law (who is just plain lazy, but that's an entirely different discussion!) So if your doctor suspects you have fibro, listen to your doctor, and listen to your body, and come here to this message board for support.

Closed Thread