It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Which antidepressant has worked best for pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
    Which antidepressant has worked best for pain?

I was diagnosed with FM in 1999. I had suffered with it for 12 years or more before that. Its onset was from a trauma as far as I can figure out.
    I am going to see my Dr. on Wednesday and am thinking about trying an antidepressant for pain. I was on Paxil for a year in 1999. It helped but the side effects never went away and I gained 30 pounds.
    Have any of you had any luck with any of the antidepressants out there? I am in serious need of getting more exercise but I can barley walk at times.
    Thanks for your help.
    Blessings,
    Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
    Dimeit

Dimeit HB User
    Re: Which antidepressant has worked best for pain?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedeemedHeart
    I was diagnosed with FM in 1999. I had suffered with it for 12 years or more before that. Its onset was from a trauma as far as I can figure out.
    I am going to see my Dr. on Wednesday and am thinking about trying an antidepressant for pain. I was on Paxil for a year in 1999. It helped but the side effects never went away and I gained 30 pounds.
    Have any of you had any luck with any of the antidepressants out there? I am in serious need of getting more exercise but I can barley walk at times.
    Thanks for your help.
    Blessings,
    Kathy
    Think about doing chelation treatment with 10% DMSO mixed in.DMSO is the best pain killer ever made.Chelation doctors use it and regular doctors hate it because it replaces all there pain pill they dish out.
    I had FMS for 11 years and found out it was caused by bacteria in my teeth.I got them fixed and now im well so you might want to try a dentist that knows bacteria and how to find it............Terry

Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User

Terry,
    I am thrilled for you that you found something that stopped your symptoms for you!

I see a periodontist every three months and have had surgery to remove bacteria and bone replacement. I have never had a filling or a cavity.
    I don't have any bacterial growth anywhere in my mouth but the FM is still there.
    I go to a *wonderful* Dr. for my FM and he is very up to date on the newest studies and even on the "crazy ideas" that people come up with at times.
    He works with hundreds of men and women with FM and I trust him completely.

I am looking for opinions on which antidepressants have worked best for others.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

Old 04-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
    MistyMisty

MistyMisty HB User

Kathy, Wellbutrin works for some. I tried Effexor for 8 months that helped some but it was not a complete pain killer. I couldn't get used to the side effects, memory loss in my case. I did not gain weight on Effexor extended release capsules. I used 37.5 mg per day but the doctors always want to increase the dose to maximum which I didn't feel I needed. I don't have much luck with SSRI's but Effexor works on Seritonin and Norepinephrine which seems to be a good combination for fibromyalgia and the chronic fatigue some of us experience. MistyMisty

Old 04-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
    Dimeit

Dimeit HB User

Quote:
    Terry,
    I am thrilled for you that you found something that stopped your symptoms for you!

I see a periodontist every three months and have had surgery to remove bacteria and bone replacement. I have never had a filling or a cavity.
    I don't have any bacterial growth anywhere in my mouth but the FM is still there.
    I go to a *wonderful* Dr. for my FM and he is very up to date on the newest studies and even on the "crazy ideas" that people come up with at times.
    He works with hundreds of men and women with FM and I trust him completely.

I am looking for opinions on which antidepressants have worked best for others.
    Thanks,
    Kathy
    I went to the same dentist for 25 years and thought my teeth were fine to.Once you have the harmfull bacteria in your gums like i did it can travel to other parts of your body and start liveing there so think about that.
    The best antidepressant that i took for pain was Welbutrin if that helps.........................Terry

Old 04-06-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User

Terry and MistyMisty,
    Thank you for your replies. Terry, I am not doubting you...I just know that isn't what is causing my FM. I wish it were...the bacterial problems are why I go to a periodontist and I have had three different ones in the last 10 years. I do however think it is awesome that you are cured. IMHO FM is a combination of several things...hormone imbalances, thyroid and others...allergens the results of certain kinds of trauma and brain injury. There may be more causes...I feel certain that someday they are going to find a hormone link of some sorts though.

Did the possibility of seizures worry either of you with the Wellbutrin?

MistyMisty! How are you? I remember you from ages ago!

Blessings,
    Kathy

Old 04-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
    MistyMisty

MistyMisty HB User

Hi again Kathy, I tried Wellbutrin for only three days. I have high blood pressure and I just read that Wellbutrin can cause hypertension. Whatever, it did not agree with me! I didn't take it long enough to worry about long term effects. Sorry, I am not much help on that one.
    I am doing pretty good right now and thank you for asking!! I had some tough days this past winter, the cold really set me in a flare!
    I am back to walking about 40 minutes a day which helps. I just wish it would help for more than several hours!
    I have no thyroid so I am thinking that my sluggish feelings are because I need a better thyroid med or more of it. My next Doctor appointment is on the 15th, and I will be getting the TSH tests again. I wish they would check the T3 and T4 and all of that, but an endocrinologist is the one to see for that. I am waiting for a referral!! You are so right about hormones, all of them!!
    I am going to try taking enzymes with my meals. We loose 10% of our stomach enzymes after we get past our young age of 20, so by the time we reach age 70, we cannot utilize the nutrients from the food we eat. Gosh, no wonder we get grey hair at age 30 or 40! I believe that the best diet in the world won't help unless we can put our food into use by the cells of our body and takes enzymes. I will let you know if it makes any difference after I start them.
    Oh, I started Claratin that really helps my sinuses and allergies to my cat and dog.
    My sister was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. It is amazing how we have so many similar symptoms except that I don't have irritable bowl syndrome as she does. Lucky me.
    Yes, I wish we could find the one thing that causes us to be in this mess. There would be a lot of happy people and a lot of sad pharmacedical companies, ha!!
    I hope you are doing good with no new problems. Take care of yourselves everyone and a feather hug.....!! MistyMisty

Old 04-09-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
    Dwayne932
    Inactive

Dwayne932 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Which antidepressant has worked best for pain?

Well, I will put in my two cents on the antidepressants. I think I posted about this before but.....here goes again...lol.

The most commonly prescribed antidepressants for chronic pain patients are called Tricyclics. They are a class that boost seritonin levels and substance "P" levels. These two combo's assist you in reaching the correct stage of sleep thus allowing for healing......and also block a certain amount of the pain signals if you will.

One of the brand names is Elavil. I have heard from MANY that have tried it and have had wonderful results. The dosage that patients take can vary, but is never enough to actually treat depression. If you ask your physicain about this class of med, I am sure that he/she will be able to offer you a few choices. The side effects for most are few. I loved it and felt much better while on it. I happened to react poorly to it all of a sudden and have never been able to go back on it. I am certainly not in the majority though. It would be worth your time and effort in my opinion. I hope this is of help to you. I can give you the names of the other 2 in this class of drug, but I am fogged right now and cannot recall the names......lol. Best wishes and here's to Terry's clean teeth! Just kidden.....lol.
    Your Fibro-Friend,
    Dwayne

Old 04-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
    Dwayne932
    Inactive

Dwayne932 HB User

Also, reference enzymes... have any of you tried taking the Acidophelus? If you have not tried it out...it has worked wonders for me in the past. You need to get it on the form that needs to be refridgerated though because this is the only one that has live enzymes in it from what I understand. These enzymes assist with digestion, yeast and IBS symptoms. Another wonderful thing that has come about for me is the vitamin b-12 injections. If you can find them through your Dr, they are wonderful. B-12 will boost your energy levels, since of well being, and assist with pain management all together. I took one shot every week until I moved out of state and have not been able to find any since. I am certainly looking though! I have been substituting with sublingual b-12 and it has helped a fraction of what the injections did. Hope this is of some assistance to someone. Also, if anyone would like to read up on pain management, you can drop into the men surviving fms site.
    Dwayne

Old 04-10-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Which antidepressant has worked best for pain?

Quote:
    Thanks for your help.
    Blessings,
    Kathy
    Hi Kathy -

I also agree that tricyclics are often prescribed for people with chronic pain. I suffered with FM for sooo many years before I was finally diagnosed about the same time you were. At that time I was put on Pamelor - it's an older antidepressant, but sometimes the oldies are goodies. But then a while back I was also diagnosed with depression and GAD (anxiety disorder) so I was taken off of Pamelor...and thus began a nightmare of being put on a plethora of antidepressants, all of which seemed to exacerbate my IBS, if you know what I mean...? Finally I was put on Wellbutrin, and while it was *compatible* with my IBS, unfortunately, it raised my blood pressure quite a bit, too...but worse, it did nothing for anxiety, and it actually worsened my depression...I cried more in 3 months than I have in my entire life. Jeesh. So, I was put back on Pamelor at MY request, but because it only provided minimal relief for depression and anxiety, the psychiatrist also added Lexapro, as well as Ativan for the anxiety. For chronic pain, depression and anxiety, I'm actually feeling better than I have in years. I realize, of course, that everyone is different, and what works for some, may not for someone else. But I soooo understand how you feel. FM can be just awful. My husband and I even moved to a warm-weather climate to get away from the cold and humidity of the midwest, both of which were just killer for my FM. It has helped about 30%, I'd say...tho I also realize that moving is a bit extreme for many! BTW, I COMPLETELY believe you that... er... "dental bacteria" isn't causing your FM. My teeth and gums are in perfect condition, too. I suffered many traumas in my life, and that, I think, was what brought mine on. Good luck to you!!!

Char

Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #11
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I saw my Dr. and we talked about all the different meds and ideas. He and I agree that several different antidepressants help different people, but they all have side effects. I am having some trouble with my kidneys right now. I have had an infection (they think, I had been on antibiotics when I did the UA so all they had to go on was the blood in my urine) that won't seem to clear up. I am taking a stronger antibiotic and when finished I will wait a week then get retested. If it isn't gone (the blood or bacteria) they are going to do a specific culture and he said they might need to do a CT scan of my kidneys to make sure I don't have a stone somewhere. <Wonderful >

At any rate, I am waiting until I get the kidney thing under control before changing anything major med wise.

I also have low thyroid...I take levoxyl for it. It has helped in the energy department quite a bit. I have been taking it for several months.

I have to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy done soon...its routine for polyps but I am not looking forward to it since it am afraid it may send me into a FM flare. I had surgery in July and it took me quite a while to get over it because it flared up my FM symptoms.

Thanks again...
    Blessings,
    Kathy

Old 04-12-2004, 11:01 AM   #12
    Dwayne932
    Inactive

Dwayne932 HB User

Kathy,

I am sorry to hear about all the medical problems on top of the FM that are being thrown your way. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your Doc seems to have you best interest at heart for sure. You really have to be cautious with those kidneys. You kinda need them...lol. My Father has Renal disease and failure of the kidneys is far from a fun thing. Take good care of you. You need lots of pampering! You can write your own script for that one!
    God Bless and keep you!
    Your Fibro-Friend,
    Dwayne

Old 04-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #13
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User

Dwayne,
    Thanks for kind words...I am not usually this whiny! Ha!
    Blessings,
    Kathy

Closed Thread