HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Fibro and trouble swallowing (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/164750-fibro-trouble-swallowing.html)

Traci Lynn 04-11-2004 07:48 PM

Fibro and trouble swallowing

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]undefined[/FONT] I have had fibromyalgia for nearly 15 years that I have known about it and only since a major flare-up in January have I started having trouble swallowing. I have nearly choked several times and have had to rely on drinking slimfast and taking advocare vitamin supplements that are drinkable. If I eat any solid food like meat it has to be in very small bites and it takes me a long time to eat. This is terrible! I normally can wolf down more food than my husband! Now, I feel like the muscle in my throat is just not co-operating! I am hoping that this is a passing thing! Having all the other fibro symptoms is crazy enough...but, not being able to swallow properly really has me worried!

Traci Lynn 04-11-2004 07:52 PM

Re: Fibro and trouble swallowing

[QUOTE=Traci Lynn][FONT=Comic Sans MS]undefined[/FONT] I have had fibromyalgia for nearly 15 years that I have known about it and only since a major flare-up in January have I started having trouble swallowing. I have nearly choked several times and have had to rely on drinking slimfast and taking advocare vitamin supplements that are drinkable. If I eat any solid food like meat it has to be in very small bites and it takes me a long time to eat. This is terrible! I normally can wolf down more food than my husband! Now, I feel like the muscle in my throat is just not co-operating! I am hoping that this is a passing thing! Having all the other fibro symptoms is crazy enough...but, not being able to swallow properly really has me worried![/QUOTE]

pookah 04-11-2004 11:12 PM

i have been having a horrible time trying to swallow lately! i normally eat really fast too. but things have been sticking in my throat. usually the prilosec helps- i'm hoping it's just because i had to go off prilosec temporarily.

hoping you get relief soon!

Dwayne932 04-12-2004 02:49 AM

Hummm..... that is one symptom that I have never had. Are you taking any muscle relaxants or other meds that could be the cause of this? I would not say that there are no FMers with this symptom, I just have not ever heard of any. I would talk to your Doc just to be on the safe side. DOnt just chalk it up to the Fibro. Best wishes,
Your FIbro-Friend,
Dwayne

typingterror 04-12-2004 05:55 AM

This is a symptom that I have had but very rarely and I attribute it to a muscle spasm at that particular time.

RedeemedHeart 04-12-2004 09:15 AM

I have heard others with FM complain of this at times,myself included. It can also be and early sign of MS. My mother-in-law has MS and that was one of the things she noticed first.
But don't panic...it can also be a sign of anxiety or too much stress...which those with FM tend towards anyhow. I would see my Dr. just to be on the safe side.
Blessings,
Kathy

pixiepoodle 04-12-2004 10:40 AM

I had trouble swallowing for years and thought it was a mental thing because it fluids that I had trouble swallowing, not food. Eventually, I started having other symptoms like fatigue, mood swings (about 5 yrs. following a hysterectomy so it wasn't PMS), hot flashes, etc.

When my obgyn said I was too young to be starting menopause since 1 of my ovaries was not removed during my hysterectomy, I decided to go to an Endocrologist because I knew something was wrong.

When filling out the paperwork at the drs, I did not put down my swallowing problem because I thought she would think I was a hypocondriac. During the exam, she asked me to swallow while she put her hands on my throat and then asked me if I ever had problems swallowing. It turned out I had hypothyroidism and a goiter in my throat. A goiter is nothing more than enlarged thyroid glands in your throat. Within a short period of time after taking Synthroid, I could swallow again.

If you have never had your thyroid levels checked, it might be a good idea to do so, because within a year of being diagnozed with a low thyroid, I began to have symptoms of Fibro.

Traci Lynn 04-12-2004 07:42 PM

re the thyroid problem....gotta tell ya, I had the same problem! my thyroid problem and my fibro problem were diagnosed nearly at the same time. I have been on synthroid for years. I wondered if my thyroid could be the culprit for my swallowing problems. I am going to check with my doctor. A friend of mine seems to think that I am too old to come down with MS. I am 44...I hope she is right. Thanks to everyone for reading and posting your messages! It is certainly comforting to know that I am not facing these symptoms alone though I would not wish them on any of you or anyone! Hope everyone is having a comfortable day! :wave:

MrsChickapea 04-13-2004 07:11 AM

Yes, I have had problems with choking for years. When eating any type of food, taking pills or just sipping a drink of water. I was diagnosed many years ago with a hiatal hernia & the dr. asked me if choking was a problem Yet! He said that this goes along with the hiatal hernia. Please, check with your dr. and mention to him/her if you are suffering from any gastrointestinal symptoms. IBS is another common ailment that goes hand-in-hand with FMS.