It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Fibro and trouble swallowing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
    Traci Lynn

Traci Lynn HB User
    Fibro and trouble swallowing

undefined I have had fibromyalgia for nearly 15 years that I have known about it and only since a major flare-up in January have I started having trouble swallowing. I have nearly choked several times and have had to rely on drinking slimfast and taking advocare vitamin supplements that are drinkable. If I eat any solid food like meat it has to be in very small bites and it takes me a long time to eat. This is terrible! I normally can wolf down more food than my husband! Now, I feel like the muscle in my throat is just not co-operating! I am hoping that this is a passing thing! Having all the other fibro symptoms is crazy enough...but, not being able to swallow properly really has me worried!

Last edited by Traci Lynn; 04-11-2004 at 07:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
    Traci Lynn

Traci Lynn HB User
    Re: Fibro and trouble swallowing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traci Lynn
    undefined I have had fibromyalgia for nearly 15 years that I have known about it and only since a major flare-up in January have I started having trouble swallowing. I have nearly choked several times and have had to rely on drinking slimfast and taking advocare vitamin supplements that are drinkable. If I eat any solid food like meat it has to be in very small bites and it takes me a long time to eat. This is terrible! I normally can wolf down more food than my husband! Now, I feel like the muscle in my throat is just not co-operating! I am hoping that this is a passing thing! Having all the other fibro symptoms is crazy enough...but, not being able to swallow properly really has me worried!

Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
    pookah

pookah HB User

i have been having a horrible time trying to swallow lately! i normally eat really fast too. but things have been sticking in my throat. usually the prilosec helps- i'm hoping it's just because i had to go off prilosec temporarily.

hoping you get relief soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to pookah For This Useful Post:
    Sleepy247 (03-23-2011)
    Old 04-12-2004, 02:49 AM   #4
    Dwayne932
    Inactive

Dwayne932 HB User

Hummm..... that is one symptom that I have never had. Are you taking any muscle relaxants or other meds that could be the cause of this? I would not say that there are no FMers with this symptom, I just have not ever heard of any. I would talk to your Doc just to be on the safe side. DOnt just chalk it up to the Fibro. Best wishes,
    Your FIbro-Friend,
    Dwayne

Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
    typingterror

typingterror HB User

This is a symptom that I have had but very rarely and I attribute it to a muscle spasm at that particular time.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User

I have heard others with FM complain of this at times,myself included. It can also be and early sign of MS. My mother-in-law has MS and that was one of the things she noticed first.
    But don't panic...it can also be a sign of anxiety or too much stress...which those with FM tend towards anyhow. I would see my Dr. just to be on the safe side.
    Blessings,
    Kathy

Old 04-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I had trouble swallowing for years and thought it was a mental thing because it fluids that I had trouble swallowing, not food. Eventually, I started having other symptoms like fatigue, mood swings (about 5 yrs. following a hysterectomy so it wasn't PMS), hot flashes, etc.

When my obgyn said I was too young to be starting menopause since 1 of my ovaries was not removed during my hysterectomy, I decided to go to an Endocrologist because I knew something was wrong.

When filling out the paperwork at the drs, I did not put down my swallowing problem because I thought she would think I was a hypocondriac. During the exam, she asked me to swallow while she put her hands on my throat and then asked me if I ever had problems swallowing. It turned out I had hypothyroidism and a goiter in my throat. A goiter is nothing more than enlarged thyroid glands in your throat. Within a short period of time after taking Synthroid, I could swallow again.

If you have never had your thyroid levels checked, it might be a good idea to do so, because within a year of being diagnozed with a low thyroid, I began to have symptoms of Fibro.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
    Traci Lynn

Traci Lynn HB User

re the thyroid problem....gotta tell ya, I had the same problem! my thyroid problem and my fibro problem were diagnosed nearly at the same time. I have been on synthroid for years. I wondered if my thyroid could be the culprit for my swallowing problems. I am going to check with my doctor. A friend of mine seems to think that I am too old to come down with MS. I am 44...I hope she is right. Thanks to everyone for reading and posting your messages! It is certainly comforting to know that I am not facing these symptoms alone though I would not wish them on any of you or anyone! Hope everyone is having a comfortable day!

Old 04-13-2004, 07:11 AM   #9
    MrsChickapea

MrsChickapea HB User

Yes, I have had problems with choking for years. When eating any type of food, taking pills or just sipping a drink of water. I was diagnosed many years ago with a hiatal hernia & the dr. asked me if choking was a problem Yet! He said that this goes along with the hiatal hernia. Please, check with your dr. and mention to him/her if you are suffering from any gastrointestinal symptoms. IBS is another common ailment that goes hand-in-hand with FMS.

Closed Thread