It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Cymbalta (duloxetine), my research, I hope it is helpful

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
    mermaid2
    (female)

mermaid2 HB User
    Cymbalta (duloxetine), my research, I hope it is helpful

undefinedundefined

Long Post...
    The other day I was so excited when I read the posts on Healthboard about a drug called Cymbalta, I thought finally there might be a drug that may help make life more normal. Thinking that it might deliver my life back to me, to work my business with renewed energy, time in my garden, get back to helping in the community when the need arises; it was so exciting I didn’t sleep all night. The next morning I decided that a little more research would help to solidify my resolve to ask the doctor to let me try it. The posts that I read, if I remember correctly, those who were talking about how good the medication is were taking it for only a few weeks. What I learned the next morning scared me to death and the posts made to the Healthboard by all the people that are taking Cymbalta that may be unaware of how dangerous this drug is scared me too. I saw my Dr. and told him about the drug, he looked it up and said he would never prescribe it to his patience; my Dr is a Rheumatologist and one of the best Drs in the Pacific NW, my hope of getting better went right out the window. I will say this, it is wonderful to have the Internet to do research; maybe someday we will get the help we need and it could be found through the Healthboard, who knows. Below is some information that I found, I suggest who ever is thinking of taking the drug research it for themselves; search Google and a couple of sites listed below. One last comment, you may already know about it; a young person (can’t remember whether it was a girl or boy), not long ago a young person took this medication, it caused them to go into a deep depression; they took their life. In my opinion this drug is dangerous.
    To find out more about Cymbalta (duloxetine) search using the word “Drugs” or mayoclinic, both are excellent choices when researching a drug.
    This is from the Mayo Clinic; Precautions While Using This Medicine

It is important that your doctor check your progress at regular visits, to allow for changes in your dose and to help reduce any side effects.Duloxetine has not been shown to add to the effects of alcohol. However, use of alcohol is not recommended in patients who are taking duloxetine.Duloxetine may cause some people to be agitated, irritable or display other abnormal behaviors. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies or to become more depressed. If you or your caregivers notice any of these adverse effects, tell your doctor right away. Four weeks of duloxetine may be required before your symptoms improve. It is important to continue duloxetine after symptoms of depression are relieved. Do not suddenly stop taking your duloxetine . If you have been instructed to stop taking duloxetine, ask you healthcare professional how to slowly decrease the dose. This is to decrease the chance of having discontinuation symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, headache, vomiting, irritability, nightmares, prickling or tingling feelings.Do not take duloxetine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (furazolidone, phenelzine, procarbazine, selegiline, tranylcypromine) in the past 2 weeks. Do not start taking an MAO inhibitor within 5 days of stopping duloxetine . If you do, you may develop confusion, agitation, restlessness, stomach or intestinal symptoms, sudden high body temperature, extremely high blood pressure, severe convulsions, or the serotonin syndrome.For diabetic patients : · This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you notice a change in the results of your blood or urine sugar tests or if you have any questions, check with your doctor.Duloxetine may cause some people to become drowsy or have blurred vision. Make sure you know how you react to this medicine before you drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert or able to see clearly . Side Effects of This Medicine Back to top

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects.Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome.More CommonCough; diarrhea; difficulty having a bowel movement (stool); dizziness; dry mouth; fever; frequent urination; headache; lack or loss of strength; loss of appetite; muscle aches; nausea; sleepiness or unusual drowsiness; sleeplessness; sore throat; stuffy or runny nose; sweating increased; trouble sleeping; unable to sleep; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; weight loss. Less commonAbnormal orgasm; acid or sour stomach; belching; change or problem with discharge of semen; decreased interest in sexual intercourse; difficulty in moving; erectile dysfunction; fear; feeling of warmth redness of the face, neck, arms and occasionally, upper chest; heartburn; inability to have or keep an erection; indigestion; joint pain; longer than usual time to ejaculation of semen; loose stools; loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance; muscle aching or cramping; muscle pains or stiffness; nervousness; shakiness in legs, arms, hands, feet; stomach discomfort upset or pain; sudden sweating; swollen joints; trembling or shaking of hands or feet; vision blurred. Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

September 22, 2004

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
    Cherio

Cherio HB User
    Re: Cymbalta (duloxetine), my research, I hope it is helpful

I have been taking Cymbalta now for over 2 months. My pain has been reduced greatly; my anxiety is all but gone; and my IBS is curred!! That said, I should say that I too researched this drug very carefully on the internet before I took it. I have always been scared of the side effects of any new medication that is given to me. I had a terrible reaction one time to Bactrim and ended up in the ER with anaphylactic shock. It has made me be very careful about what I take and I always cringe with that "first pill."

Unfortunately, the information you read about Cymbalta is fact. What must be understood is this was one isolated incidence of a suicide. There have been no others. The article I read on this said the girl who participated in the study was not depressed at the time she took the drug. I read further on this and found out they later determined that she had been treated for psychiatric illness in the past as a child though. I guess to scare me away there would have to be a lot more incidence of this nature with this medication. I remember the Prozac scare years ago that surfaced when there were many suicides with that drug. Each instance has to be looked into on a case-to-case basis. In the Cymbalta case, I believe we don't know all the info as to what caused this apparently healthy girl to commit suicide, but fortunately we have no other incidences to date to worry about.

As far as the side effects listed for this drug, I think if you read the side effects for just about any type of medication they would scare you. I've often commented about some of the drugs advertised on TV that the side effects sound worse than the illness they are treating!! I have had no bad side effects listed with Cymbalta. Not everyone will react the same nor will everyone get every bad side effect listed. The only minor ones I did have when first starting the drug were a brief period of nausea and some sleepiness and dizziness. They are gone and I feel great and most important, I'm pain-free now!!

I don't know if this drug will continue to work good for me, but I'm so happy so far. I would encourage anyone with fibro who can to at least give it a try. Just monitor yourself when you first take it and assess if there are ny depressed feelings or increased anxieties, along with judging if any side effects are not worth tolerating until you adjust to the drug. Every drug has side effects, you just have to ride them out and in the long-run hopefully you get relief from your illness.

Cherio

Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

I've been taking Cymbalta 60mg since August, and I find it more helpful than any other anti-depressant that I have taken before. It works differently than most anti-depressants, and, yes, the side effects for most all of them are the same. Excessive sweating is one of them. If you read the side effects of Effexor you will see that they are very similar to Cymbalta. And most everyone who takes these type meds knows that there is withdrawl if you come off them "cold turkey". When someone who is taking Effexor decides to change meds, they are given a "withdrawl" dosage pack so that the symptons are easier. I went through withdrawl from Effexor when I switched to Wellbutrin XL. It was pretty intense, but didn't last long. And the Wellbutrin was not right for me at all, my moods were all over the place. With Cymbalta my moods are normal, not like with the Effexor where I basically felt no emotion. Now for the side effects of Cymbalta, I experience the excessive sweating, but most anti-depressants have that side effect, I also experience the red/flush face, and the blurred vision sometimes. However, the excessive sweating I can deal with, as well as the flushing read face from time to time, (I am 46, so being hot is normal for someone my age! )and as for the blurred vision, I don't really think it's from the med, as only my long distance vision is blurred, I simply think I need a stronger ( I wear glasses/contacts) prescription. So, I would rather sweat and have red hot cheeks than be in constant agonizing pain, and as long as those side effects aren't life threatning, and I don't think they are, they are a "walk in the park" compared to the hideous side effects and symptons of FM.

So, as I sit and wipe the sweat off my forehead while typing out this post, I wish you all a wonderful holiday. LOL (Now I'll go turn down the heat in my house)

Much love,
    tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 12-19-2004 at 09:11 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
    Gingerleah
    (female)

Gingerleah HB User

I just started 6 days ago I hope it helps without any issues!

Closed Thread