It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Anyone else feel like HELL in the morning?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
    fibrostinks

fibrostinks HB User
    Anyone else feel like HELL in the morning?

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone can relate to this:

No matter how much I sleep ( 3 hours or 13 hours), I wake up in the morning and feel like someone has beat me up.

When i get out of bed, I just feel overall vague sense of crap. I have a burning sensation throughout my whole body. Sort of like I have the flu but without the Flu symptoms.

Also, my main pain is in my shoulder blades and all the way downinto my upper and mid back. It is deep burning pain. I dont see too many people with the back pain as their main pain. Wondered if anyone else has seen that?

I wish all my fellow Fibro pals a pain-free, sick feeling-free day
    XO
    A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
    Re: Anyone else feel like HELL in the morning?

hello "stinks",
    interesting choice. sure i wake up with back pain. my back and right side take most of the heat of fms. i purchased a very nice pillow top bed. it helps a bit. there are just going to be the morning visits from the parts of my body that take all the gravity while i sleep. during the night gravity presses you down into your bed. no matter how many pennies you spend on stuff to lie your body on, gravity is still there. i hit the shower, nice and hot, first thing. my muscles in my back have deformed over the years due to pain poor posture and cmp. i am evolving into something, just don't know what yet! giggle. maybe a bird and wings are growing inside me, tee hee. wouldn't it be heaven to be able to fly?
    perhaps you could speak to your doc about warm water p.t. i am addicted to it. i also swim laps.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Old 02-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
    JustMeBeingMe
    (female)

JustMeBeingMe HB User

Hello A,

My main pain is also in my back. I have extreme lower back pain that goes all the way up my back through the shoulders and neck. Without medication, I cannot sit for more than 15-20 minutes. I can't stand for very long either. I can walk and lay down. Sometimes it feels like my head weighs 2 tons! But, with the pain meds, I can do almost everything I used to do. I just have to remember not to "over-do-it" because even the pain meds aren't that forgiving. It has been quite a challenge to me to try to figure out what I CAN and CANNOT do. I'm still new at this.

Getting out of bed in the morning is the worst part of the day. I get up at 6:30am every workday. It takes several minutes to get in the upright position, but once I'm there, I know I can get moving. Moving around and working out the morning "kinks" helps to make every other part of the day fall into place.

Good luck in your endeavor to change your "Morning HELL" into something heavenly. I would really try to get at least 8 hours of good, restful sleep every night. Do you exercise, too?

To better days for all,

Becky

Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
    mbeltram
    (female)

mbeltram HB User

hi i am new here and tring to figure out how this works and i do get up in the morning can not hardly move. have a dr. app. tomorrow just wasting money and time they seem to think meds all the time for depression i told them i am not depressed i just want the pain and dumbness to go away so now it is panic attacks great something else to deal with which i have tried to do some research on frbro. to help but... pleased to meet you God Bless each one of you. mb

Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
    mbeltram
    (female)

mbeltram HB User

yes back and neck also my face it not plesant at all i am tire of the whole thing still havent learned how to cope after 4 years of this

Old 02-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi fibrostinks:

Cute handle! LOL and true somedays! I believe that Fibromites commonly suffer from their most pain in the morning. That is why I scedule most of my doctor's appt's in the afternoon. Believe it or not, I used to work the opening shift at a restaurant for years (even for awhile after I was dx'd with FM) and I would have to be at work at 5:30 a.m. I canNOT imagine that now! YIKES!

Are you getting good "restoritive" sleep? Like sleeping entirely throught the night without too many wake ups. This is very important. If your doc hasn't precribed you any sleep enhancing meds, you can take the Tylenol PM and it helps you to stay asleep through the night with little interruptions. Try and stretch while still in your bed before you venture out. And as BLL said, a topper of some sort will help, whether it be a feather bed or a memory foam mattress topper. Also there are some good pillows out there that can help. Just do this test on your current pillow. When you lay your head on it, where is your chin? If you notice your chin is pointing toward your feet, or your chest, your head is not in the correct position which is causing your cervical spine to be out of it's natural alignment. Your chin should point upwards toward the ceiling while your head is on the pillow. There are special pillows that you can buy that have a special cut out for your head that allows your neck to be in the right position while you are sleeping. There is a website that designs pillows for people with FM as well as people with cervical problems. Actually new research shows that more and more Fibro patients have some sort of cervical damage or problems. All of this "neck" stuff will cause the pain in your upper back and shoulders. I have both of these special neck pillows. My favorite is the one for cervical problems. It acts like a traction for your neck. It has a "V" shaped form in it and you lay your head in between the "V" and this keeps your head stable during your sleep. If you change positions and roll to your side, you simply lay your head on the regular part of the pillow, or I have learned to just keep my head in the V. I really do notice a difference in my neck and shoulders when I wake in the morning. Also if you have an old pillow check to see if when you fold it in half whether or not it springs back into it's right place. If it just sits there like a sandwhich, you need a new pillow!

There are also a lot of different products that help your upper back on the web. You can do a search for Fibromyalgia health products or something like that. I saw one the other day that looks absolutely dreamy. It goes on over your head and rests over your shoulders and covers your upper back (almost to the high part of your waist) and it's got some sort of "gel" material in it that you warm up, I think you microwave it, and then you have the heat on your back and shoulders. I also have found a "shawl" like thing that has all those aromatic barely and lavender seeds in it, and you heat it up and wrap it around your shoulders, or just lay on your stomach and have this covering your back. It's great. Anything that heats up is good.

Also, try to remember to stand straight and sit without your back "hunching". I find that when I am in a lot of pain, I tend to "lean" forward when I stand. But if I stand straight with my shoulders back it tends to relax those tight muscles. And our muscles are not necessarily "tight", its more the connective tissue that is tender. Deep tissue massage when you can get it is good. Even if you get one, just on your upper back. Take some hot baths that allow you to submerse yourself enough that your back is covered. And of course there's always the good old heating pad. Another recommendation is a heated matteress pad. I have a king size matteress pad that has dual controls so that I'm not boiling my husband! But it is really great. A giant heating pad for your bed! I turn it up just enough to feel the warmth. But if you get a memory foam topper, be careful, as the visco foam reacts to heat, and adding extra heat besides your body heat can cause the memory foam to break down, and if it's too high, it could burn you.

Whew! Hows that for some recommendations? LOL Surf the web for some healthcare products that are "goodies" for Fibromyalgia!

So you are certainly NOT alone. I think we all wake up feeling pretty much like you do.

Good luck.
    tk

Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
    DecLady
    (female)

DecLady HB User

I think that pain in the morning is one of the most common complaints of fibromyalgia. The things that have seemed to help me the most are a memory foam bed topper, and a memory foam pillow. Then, I also stretch for a few minutes before I get out of the bed as well. I still hurt when I get up...but on a good day..after an hour or so..most of that pain and stiffness has disappeared. On a bad day...it just is replaced with the painful area of the day!LOL

Old 02-04-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixrising
    My most recent description of mornings is " ... as though George Foreman squeezed me into a maxi-sized grill all night".

A relatively inexpensive aid for me has been an Aerobed mattress. I find my body needs different firmness at different times and sometimes just needs something soft to envelop it. I can put more or less air in the mattress depending on how lousy I think I'm going to feel (I can sometimes anticipate in the evening how bad I'm going to feel the next day). It's not a perfect solution, but on those mornings when a mere caress on an arm causes pain, it helps!

There are also Cofortaire mattresses, but I'm not yet ready to make that financial commitment.

Hope this might help.
    Good analogy! I have actually heard that a lot of people use those areo beds in place of your standard mattress. Also, what is a Cofortaire mattress?

Good day!
    tk

Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

You know....waking up in the morning feeling like crap stinks of Thyroid issues...I don't know anymore if its the sleep that bad or that I just don't feel good in the morning anyway. Chicken or the egg....

Old 02-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I know what you mean. I am so happy to be in bed at night, all warm and cozy. All propped up with pillows under every aching extremity, HOWEVER, only to wake in the morning feeling like you either had 25 shots of tequila the night before, or that you'd been in the ring fighting 3 rounds with Joe Fraiser!

Even if you STAY in bed, at least for me, my body is just more sore, especially since I have all that stuff wrong with my lower back. Man my back just kills when I first wake in the morning. I have to grab the headboard to pull my body to the edge of the bed so I can at least sit up!

UGH!

tk

Old 02-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #11
    aaronon
    (female)

aaronon HB User

Hey everyone,

I generally wake up every morning, feeling like I was twisted on a rack all night (medieval torture device). Every now and then, if all works well, and I don't go over 6 hours of sleep, I may feel a little better than crap. It doesn't last tho, and most days are just misery. I am so sick of this, I feel like death done over.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User

hey gals,
    this is my first time posting here. i've been reading alot of the message boards and i am so happy to know that i am not alone. i see the way yall support each other and it makes me feel very good. sometimes thats exactly what we need having this condition.
    i was dx with fibro about 1 yr ago. i was just happy i actually got a dx and it wasn't all in my head.
    i to wake up in the morning and feel terrible. everything pops and cracks and i really have to take a while to stretch out. the next thing i do is take my pain meds and grab a cup of coffee and sit at my computer until i feel that my body is able to let me do my daily routine. i have a 2 and 5 yr old and that makes it very hard for me not only physically but mentally. my children, bless their hearts, have put up with so much with their mom having this condition. they already know that in the mornings it takes me at least 30 to 45 mins to get going and it does not bother them. they are my biggest support team for being so young. its weird but its like they understand, and that really makes me sad because i hate that they worry about me and feel like they have to take care of me. its really depressing.
    i'm pretty knew at this and still am going thru the trial and error stuff.
    i'm so happy to finally find people who understand what i am going thru and can't wait to hear from all of you. i will do my best to be as supportive as yall are and be there for yall.
    your knew friend,
    girl75

Old 02-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #13
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hey girl,
    welcome!
    children are much wiser than we give them credit for. they instinctivly know caregiving. you and they have a balance. there are many things they need you for and you are there to do them. in return they understand your needs and are growing up learning how to make room for others needs. my granddaughter grew up this way. she is wise. when her birth nana died and i inherited her she told me it was hard but she loved her nana so much she did not mind. she is almost 11. she told me this when she was 7. her compassion is instinctive. i personally believe she learned it in the many hours she spent with her sick nana. do not beat yourself up. we teach our children so many things. compassion, love and tolerance being the most important of all.
    you are a good mom. give yourself a hug and a pat on the back.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User

bluelakelady, i am so honored to have heard from you. you seem the wisest of them all. just finding this web site has given me an emotional boost. its great to have a place to give and recieve support. thank you for responding it means alot. i love your words of inspiration. robin(girl75)

Last edited by girl75; 02-08-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hi robin girl,
    weirdest may be closer to the reality of it, giggle. thank you. keep coming here. there are many young moms just like you here finding their way, offering their support and the best part of all is no one is wrong or right here. we all respectfully agree that it is cool to disagree. most of us cannot find that any place else. so you dive on in here and fill your heart with the love of humans all over this pretty blue marble who care, understand and come here to play or cry, sometimes both.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Closed Thread