It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Question for those with Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
    Neverenoughslee
    (female)

Neverenoughslee HB User
    Question Question for those with Back Pain

Just wondering if those with back muscle pain could describe where exactly thier back pain is and what it feels like.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
    apriltones
    Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
    Re: Question for those with Back Pain

bottom of back! coccyx!!! occasionly by shoulder blades

Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
    kcgage
    Veteran
    (female)

kcgage HB User

All over my back. Muscles are tight and ache. Sometimes they burn or get sharp pains. Also muscle spasms.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
    ukiahvalleymom
    (female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

My back pain has been muscle spasms of the neck and along the spine through the thorasic area and sometimes the lower back. When its the worst I can feel burning heat radiating out, stabbing pains, referred pain that leads to electrical zaps or something crawling up the back of my head, and arm and leg pain that is a deep penetrating ache. Sometimes, I feel pain like being stabbed with a knife through the front center of my breast bone; that is referred pain from a back spasm, I think. Then I have the tender points of Fibromyalgia, they're more noticible to me when the back pain is minimal, unless I am in a flare-up with the flu-like symptoms.
    I had a spinal fusion of 14 vertebraes back in 1994, it helped with the bones but not the muscle issues, I am now in pool and massage therapy.
    Good luck,
    ukiahvalleymom

Last edited by ukiahvalleymom; 02-23-2005 at 08:15 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User

My back pain comes out when I wash the dog, wash my face over bathroom sink, bending over to do anything (pull weeds, etc).

It's a deep burning pain along the whole width of the bottom of my back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

I have burning pain along and in between my shoulder blades which radiates up in my neck and sometimes causes a headache.

In addition, I have pain in my lower back and back side of hips that sometimes makes it difficult to walk properly which then causes tight calf muscles and behind the knee pain.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

If you are reffering to back pain associated with FM, most common from what I have read and feel is located right between your shoulder blades. Take your hand and reach, you may need to use your other arm to push your hand back there! and just run your fingers applying pressure along the scapula or very top bone of your shoulder blade. Most likely you will feel that it is very sore to the touch, this is your connective tissue telling you that there is something wrong, and it's called Fibromyalgia. Upper back pain is common in us Fibromites, and it may feel like muscle pain, but it is actually all that connetive tissue beneath your muscles that is aching. That's why the pain feel so "deep". You know the difference between a sore mucsle like if you have maybe worked out too hard and when the pain is FM related. The FM related pain is deep and it feels like you can't "get at it" to rub it.

The only thing that can really be done for those upper back issues is usually what most of us are already taking, muscle relaxants that our docs give us that block the sensation of pain from the nerves around the muscles to our brain. There are true "relaxants" out there, baclofen is one, but it is a sedative like med and most docs don't like to give it to FM patients.

You can try and stretch your upper back by trying to "hug" yourself, or stretch your arms out infront of you, clasp your hands, put chin to chest and pull your arms out infront of you as far as you can. It will "stretch" those upper back muscles.

Lower back issues are usually a symptom of something else, but a lot of FM DO complain of some kind of lower back pain. Strengthening those lower back muscles are so so important. The best way, and this is very hard, is to get you a regular weight bench, or very sturdy coffee table, lay on your stomach until your whole upper body is off the bench, so that the end of the bench is right at your waist. You are now looking at the floor. Make sure you have someone there to hold your legs incase you aren't strong enough to hold yourself, then just do a reverse sit up. Laying on your stomach, your waist at the end of the bench, clasp your hands behind your head, make SURE those feet of yours are held tightly down, then simply raise upward. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT while doing this exercise. I used to be a weight lifter before FM and this exercise is wonderful for your abs and your lower back. Here's another goodie. Lay on the floor face down, arms stretched out infront of you palms down. Then raise your left leg and your right arm at the same time. You WILL feel this in your back and only go as far as the pain will allow, don't push. Hold it for as long as you can, then rest and repeat with the other side. Always do opposite leg to arm. This exercise is good for those of you with injured backs, especially if your back injury is muscle related or spasm related. Like spasms between all those L's! LOL It is okay for more serious injuries like herniated, torn, and stenosis L's, (this is what I have) but it won't repair your herniated or ripped discs, but it will help build up the back muscles so that when you have surgery you will repair easier. There is also a very good book that is for strengthening your lower back, it's not as intense as the "weight training" exercise I listed earlier. The book is called "BACK RX" A 15-Minute-a-day Yoga- & Pilates-Based Program to End Low Back Pain by Vijay Vad, M.D. and Hilary Hinzmann

Another goodie, is getting one of those back massagers that fit in your chair, one with heat, and let that baby run as often as you can! LOL

I have some serious lower back issues going on to the point that they may not be repairable, but I personally think that the pain in my upper back, that deep intense back ache is more annoying than all the torn ripped squeezed and squished L's in my back!

I posted somewhere back either on this board or on the pain management board a post called "miracle cream" ( I think) and my PM had a compound pharmacey make it up for me, it has baclofen, lidocane, fiorecet, and another type of numbing agent and muscle relaxant. It was for a trigger point that had swollen into the size of a little rock, but I use it mostly on my upper back, and it literally melts away the pain.

So, hopfully anything I've written here will help you all maybe feel a wee better. If not, well then, just know that you are not alone in your pain!

Here's wishing you a good spirit,
    tk

Closed Thread