It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• For Those Of You Experienced With Provigil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User
    For Those Of You Experienced With Provigil

I was just prescribed Provigil 200mg recently by my doc. I'm usually very sensitive to most medications now that I'm sick so I'm very cautious with certain meds and dosages. I've heard great things about people who use Provigil for Chronic Fatigue/Fibro so I had to try this even though I'm very hesitant to do so. So today, I broke the tablet down to a 25mg dose just to test it out and see what would happen. I took the pill and about 2 hours later I started feeling a bit weird....even kinda woozy, a little bit disoriented and out of it, and a little sleepy. As for energy, I don't notice anything at all that seems of benefit to me yet. My question is for those of you that have tried Provigil or something similar, is this a normal first dose reaction for you? Is this something that I should try to push through and see what happens in a few days or should I just stop the medication completely? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
    LaDeeDa
    (female)

LaDeeDa HB User
    Smile Re: For Those Of You Experienced With Provigil

Hi Lamotta,
    I usually post in the MS Board but I was browsing and I saw your question.

I've been on Provigil 200 mg to battle MS fatigue for a couple of years now. My neuro had told me that 100 mg is pretty much the lowest dose to try to accomplish anything. At one point I was up to 400 mg, but research says that once you get over 200 mg, increased dosage isn't going to produce heightened results for any sustained period of time. I now take it in combination with Amantadine. I have had no noticeable negative effects. I can certainly feel the difference in my level of fatigue if I don't take it, so until I'm instructed otherwise, I'll happily continue with Provigil.

Hope this helps,
    Dee

Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
    Re: For Those Of You Experienced With Provigil

Hi lamotta,

I was just prescribed Provigil yesterday. I had heard of it helping with fatigue and mental clarity, so I asked my GP about it. He prescribed me 200mg and told me to take half for awhile until I see how it works for me. I can tell you that today, my first day, I experienced a little "jitters" for awhile, but then it subsided, and I can tell you this much, I went to the eye doc, and to the cell phone store and I didn't feel as though I needed to stop my car and take a nap. I am sleepy now and it's 10:30 p.m. so it's near beddy bye time.
    But I will be happy to keep you posted as my progress goes along with this med. I am usually okay with most meds. I can't take some, like I can't take Oxycontin, it makes me feel wierd. I remember you posting before about your difficulities with prescription meds. Have you checked out any of the supplements, or amino acids that may help you? Take a look at the "sticky" post (very first post on the FM board) and see if you find anything there that may provide "natural" energy.

Is there any way you can keep trying this med just to see if it works over time? Do you work? Can you just "chill" for awhile while you try this med? Is that possible for you? I know how awful it is to feel so fatigued. I was recenlty dx'd with CFS (last week) so I asked about this med.

I don't take any of the anti-D's that us Fibromites usually get prescribed. Like you, I can't tolerate the side effects. Those things are yucky!

Anyway, I'll be glad to keep you posted on my progress if you want. We can do it together!

tk

Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

TK,
    Did you sleep last night coming down from the Provigil?
    SS

Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

Yes, I felt very weird yesterday but I was able to sleep without too much trouble. It wasn't the best sleep of my life but I was able to sustain it for 8 hours. I woke up this morning with the worst hangover feeling I've felt in a long time...weird headache, felt really cold, sore all over, sick to my stomach, and just plain out of it. I was going to attempt another pill to see if I could overcome this but I don't think I will take it today. I get the feeling that another dose with just mess me up even further. All last night before bed I was feeling extremely nervous and on edge as if my blood was boiling or something. Disgusting feeling to say the least. I hate to give up on something so fast but I dunno if a stimulant is the best way to go for someone like me...I wish I new what I am supposed to do.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
    nmamommy
    (female)

nmamommy HB User
    Cool Re: For Those Of You Experienced With Provigil

Hi,
    I take Provigil 200mg a day. It does take your body a few days to get used to it.
    I know it is hard, but try not to worry so much about the side effects because with the small amount your taking, you are probably getting a lot more bad effects from the worrying then from the Provigil. Your not taking enough for it to do anything. There is a reason why they don't make it in such a small dosage. I know, trust me, how horrid side effects can be. But you will never know if it works or not unless you take it in the way it is intended to be taken. 200mg seems a bit high to start, but I would bet 25mg does nothing. Talk to your doc.
    The Provigil has been wonderful for me. I was a bit jittery at first, but am fine now, and I realize just how much it helps me when I run out and I don't have it!! Unfortunatly my insurance won't pay for it since it's not approved for Fibro, but to me it's worth the approx.$250 a month I pay for it.
    Please everyone..always remember..call your doctor as many times as it takes until you get an answer you are comfortable with. Don't worry about being a nuicance, aggrivating them, or taking up too much of their time. That is what they are there for. Call so much, they know who it is as soon as you say hi !! Do what it takes to get the answers you need. It's your health and it's too important. I will now step down off my soap box
    Hugs,
    Maria

Old 03-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SheSparkles
    TK,
    Did you sleep last night coming down from the Provigil?
    SS

SS,

Hey!

Yes, I did. I had an eye exam, and ran an errand, without feeling sleepy. I DID feel tired when I got home about 6 p.m. And I felt normal sleepy around 10:30 p.m. But I have been on Klonopin for 3 years which I take 1mg at bedtime to help me sleep. I like the Klonopin because it DOES pretty much sedate me into sleep, which is good for now, because by taking it, I don't move around in my sleep. My back is so messed up I can't turn over or change positions at night without help or support. I used to have a rope tied to the head board that would help me pull myself onto my side, and I would actually wake my husband up to help pull me over, but the Klonopin pretty much keeps me in one place when I sleep. I wake a little stiff and sore, and a little groggy, but I stretch before I get out of the bed, which I also use the rope to pull me up!

And remember, I only took half of my dosage. I was prescribed 200mg, but am only taking 100mg until I get used to it. But I felt pretty normal last night, as far as being tired. I have many many nights when I'm wired and am up until 2 or 3 anyway. The Klonopin helps me go to sleep and stay asleep. And I do experience dreams, so I'm not totally zoned out!

tk

Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

I took an additional 25mg to see if I could tolerate it any better today...It seems that I don't feel as foggy or disoriented, but I feel very edgy and nervous. Its a very uncomfortable feeling and I'm not feeling like I have anymore energy either. So far only side effects and no beneficial ones.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lamotta,

Seems like today is better though. Give it some time. But I agree with the other poster, 25mg is not going to do you any good really. Talk to your doc about it, she what he/she says. What is your original dose? 100 or 200mg? Keep at it. You know your body best. See if maybe you can increase your dose in a couple days. You will feel jittery at first, I think that's normal, but at that low dose I don't think you will feel any relief of fatigue until you up your dose. You're doing good, hang in there.

tk

Old 03-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

Actually right now, I'm starting to feel so edgy that I feel like if someone talks to me I'm gonna flip out...its so uncomfortable a feeling i can't hardly stand it. This drug has kept me housebound for 2 days straight! I don't understand...if 25mg won't give me any benefit, then why are the side effects so powerful? That makes no sense. I don't think my body metabolizes a lot of drugs properly anymore...either that or the presence of something foreign in my body agitates my nervous system. Almost everything that I take gives me this feeling except for maybe Tylenol and Motrin.

The drug was prescibed at 200mg once daily in the am. I split it down to a small dose to see if I could tolerate it better and work my way up a little but it doesn't seem to be working as planned. I'll take 100mg tomorrow morning...if that makes me sick I gotta stop this. We shall see.

Last edited by CFD 333; 03-30-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lamotta,

Be careful, if you are feeling this bad with only a quarter tab, maybe you should call your doc. We were just saying that taking only a quarter tab isn't going to give you any benefit, you can certainly have side effects. Could it possibly be that you are nervous about taking the meds and you get worked up that they interact with your anxiety? Just a thought. I have read a lot of your posts, and I know you have an awful time taking prescription meds, so I don't think it's all in your head for sure, I just wish something would work for you. Be careful now, with taking the increase dose. Be calm, and just see how it goes. Your doctor must think you'll be able to tolerate the med, or he/she wouldn't have prescribed it for you. I took my second 100mg today and didn't feel as jittery,and I actually didn't feel like I needed multiple naps today. I DID lay down for awhile in the afternoon, I am coming down with a cold. My husband is recovering from bronchitis and "walking" pnuemonia, so of course now I'm feeling bad. But I didn't fall asleep when I layed down, I simply rested. If you read this before you take your med in the morning, try taking what would equal 50mg when you get up and then take 50mg later. See how that goes. I just don't want you to feel really bad at 100mg when you feel this bad at only a quarter tab. It could be that this med is not for you. Did I post to you about asking your Doc about Ritilin or a med for adult ADD? I've read research that sometimes these meds help us because it enhances mental clarity and "awakeness" (geez is that a word?). I worry aboutchya baby! What has your doc said about your medication intolerance? Has he/she given you a reason for it? I know I can't take some meds, and I understand how YOU feel, cuz when you can't take a med, you KNOW pretty quickly. But most I can take. Everyone is so different.

Hang in there. And like you said, if it's not for you, then stop taking it. We keep on trying. Check out some Ginseng or St. John's Wort, maybe something herbal will help you? Do you exercise any? I know that if you can do some kind of exercise, this will help you with fatigue and mental clarity.

Keep me posted.

Smooches,
    tk

Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
    janicef
    (female)

janicef HB User

Hi, I was given Provigil for fatigue and I can honestly say I didn't feel any different. I do have a high tolerance to drugs though. I wish I could find a way not to be so tired. I have had fibro for about 30 years and I feel so tired I could and do cry.
    I would take anything just to not feel dead all day.
    Janice

Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

Tkgoodspirit, I decided not to take the Provigil again today...I've determined that since this isn't a maintenance medication there is no point in trying to force it down my throat. I've felt terrible for 3 days straight so I need a break. Maybe I will try it again in a couple of days but I don't seem to think that stimulants are the answer for me. If anything, all these reactions that I get only make me feel worse so whats the point right? It's kind of funny, but since being ill I feel like my body is telling me, "Keep it natural...nothing I don't need to survive!" I guess I have no choice but to follow its orders right now. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

TK: good to see you again!

lamotta: I'm on the Lyme Board too and was given Provigil samples (200 mg box of 7) at my office visit to the Neurologist last week, but I've just started teasel and Samento, so I didn't want to introduce anything else new.

I'm going to keep watch on this board re: Provigil. Hope you get something to help you sleep & feel more peppy. This is a big problem with these immune system diseases....

Old 03-31-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerribear
    TK: good to see you again!

lamotta: I'm on the Lyme Board too and was given Provigil samples (200 mg box of 7) at my office visit to the Neurologist last week, but I've just started teasel and Samento, so I didn't want to introduce anything else new.

I'm going to keep watch on this board re: Provigil. Hope you get something to help you sleep & feel more peppy. This is a big problem with these immune system diseases....

Hey Gerri!

How ya been woman? I really need to email more instead of finding you on a public board! I'm bad, I know.

So you have been prescribed this med? I'm on my third day at 100mg and I think I'll be fine to go up to the 200mg now. I am up for anything that will help me stay awake on the way to and from my doctor's office! And to stop me from napping 4 times a day! I just got dx'd with CFS. No suprise really. I was feeling all the symptoms for the last few months. I am trying to get someone to test me for Epstein Barr, but seems no one sees the need, even though I've been having the symptoms. ***sigh***

Still waiting on the SSD hearing. I took my PCE paper to my Pain doc today, and I don't think he's filling those out anymore since he can't evaluate us well enough, but he's been dealing with me for 3 years. Anyway, I saw the PA today, and I'll see him next time, but for now it's on his desk. I had one done the first time through a physical therapist and it took 4 hours and cost me $400 after insurance! So, I'll call my lawyer tomorrow and explain it to his "servants". LOL I don't know why we can't just fill out those things, who knows better than us how long we can stand sit or walk. UGH! It's getting bad Gerri. I can't afford the PCE, though I need it, and I think it would make a difference, I was give an rx for massage therapy through a physical therapy, can't afford that, I doubt I can afford to see my psyco-therapist anymore at $95 a pop. Now I've got my student loan deferral ending soon, and I've got to mail off the discharge request, AGAIN, and they will probably find something else wrong with it, like they did the last two I had my doc fill out and sign. I can't ask him to fill out any more of those things for me. We are going to talk to another bankruptcy lawyer about filing chapter 7 this time. Wipe the slate clean. We've used up all of our retirement fund to help pay bills. Now the one credit card that we have that we can pay has hiked our interest rate up to %29.9 interest! YIKES! We already had to quit paying one other company that did that. Waiting for the hounds from that company to call any day now! LOL I don't know what to do. I know you can usually settle, but we don't even have the money to pay that! LOL

All this "stuff" has nearly ruined us. But I guess they can't take what we don't have. Darryl isn't working steady. Just doing on the side jobs for hurricane repair. So, I'm going to look for a BR lawyer tomorrow, see what we can do.

Geez, I'm depressing aren't I? LOL Sorry. Sometimes it gets to me. I try not to let it. My saving grace will be if I'm approved for SSD, but I'm so afraid that my file won't be complete, or the doctor's reports won't be enough to convince them. I intend on writing a letter to the judge when I have my date, yes, I'm going to hand write it, that's what "they" suggest. That should take me a month to finish, the way my hand is so dysfunctional cuz of the carpal.

But anyway, how are YOU? I'm glad you find the boards helpful. Lot's of nice folks here aren't there? Just like you, my dear friend.

Okey Dokey. I'm tired, it's been raining all day, and my little dog, Buddy, is shaking like a leaf because of the thunder. He usually ends up crawling up on top of me, trying to get as high on me as he can! Bless his heart. He's the only one of the dogs that gets like that. I don't know if I told you, but I am now the step mommy to my son's dog. He and the family moved to Maryland and couldn't take the dog, so I kept him. He's an old boxer, about 8 years old. Very ugly, poor thing. Who ever owned him before tried to crop his ears by them selves and messed them up bad. They have an areodynamic look to them now! They are bent backwards. And he has warts, burps and farts like a man! But he has this face that looks at you like "you like me don't you?". I had him out in the front of the house with me one day while I was messing in the flowers and he just sat right by me where ever I was. Like my little guardian. So, now we are back up to three dogs. And of course still have all the neighborhood friends who come round every day. Where would I be without my animals? Totally nutso for sure.

Well, I'm off to check out the Pain Managment board, see if there is anything new there. I'm going to post here tomorrow about my appt. at my PM clinic. It's about the question a lot of us Fibromites are being asked lately by our docs. "Were you ever abused?" I've been asked twice now, so I finally asked the PA today, and got a pretty interesting answer, but I'll post a new thread tomorrow about it.

Love you,
    tk

Closed Thread