It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Has anyone ever tried Topamax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
    Rosieposie
    (female)

Rosieposie HB User
    Question Has anyone ever tried Topamax

Hi all! Had a bad knee injury......put off surgery for a year hoping it would get better on it's own..barely able to get around by that time and gained a ton of weight. It was suggested to me that Topamax works for Fibro and has the added benifit of weight loss. Considering giving up celebrex, neurontin, and wellbutron to try it. Wellbutron works good for my depression, neurontin helps( especially with the pin-prickeling sensations on my back), and celebrex helps some......but, we have all heard the talk on that one. I've been doing a lot of reading and find that I am allready experiencing many of the same side effects asTopamax has but I am very apprehinsive about changing. I've been exercising and watching what I eat but the weight just won't budge. This doesn't help the fibro or my depression, which have both been extremely bad lately. (I don't let on, no one knows) I'm feeling very desparate about this problem. Does any one have 1st hand knowledge on this drug?

Last edited by Rosieposie; 04-28-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever tried Topamax

Hi,

I was put on Topomax several months ago for migraine and fm pain. I just could not tolerate it: awful nausea (and I am underweight as is), spacey, dizzy, and I couldn't find words when I spoke. So I went off it.
    Some folks are able to take it fine. You miight ask your pharmacist about the side effects you're having and perhaps see if you can cut the dosage, if it's helping you with the pain.
    I'm probably not a good one to advise you, as I can't take almost any medication because of side-effects, but that was my experience with it.
    Good luck, and peace.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User

hi rosie, i was wondering, would you have to stop taking your anti-depressant and celebrex if you start taking topamax?
    i looked up topamax online and your right it does have alot of side effects that are the same as our symptoms. there were alot of side effects. the whole thing about the weight loss is a definate plus for sure.
    keep me posted to let me know what you come up with.
    your friend,
    robin

Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
    Rosieposie
    (female)

Rosieposie HB User

Thanks folks, I appreciate your replies!
    What I'm getting out of what I've read is that Topamax is used for mood swings (Bipolar D.) which which seems to me would include depression. So I'm thinking you shouldn't take two drugs for the same problem. I've already stopped the celebrex and don't plan to go back on it. Tough getting by, however, I'm managing at the moment but will have to find something to take it's place as I'm just creeping along the pain is so intense. Since it was a DR (just not my regular Dr)that suggested Topamax, I assumed it must do something for the pain too. If so, I might be able to cut my medications down from 3 prescriptions to 1. Wouldn't that be great! I just don't like taking more than I absoultely have to. I will be headed in for a Dr appt next week and of course will be asking all my questions there but was hoping for more knowledge on the subject before I get there. This is a good site, people seem to really care. I'm glad I found it(just yesterday,infact). There are still a lot of non-believers out there when it comes to fibro...oh, I have a story to tell about non-believers or the "oh, you have fibro" attitude.......Something that just happened to me a few weeks ago and really ticked me off (Guess it still does or I wouldn't bring it up) But I'll get into that in another post another time. I'll bet many of us have experienced it at some time or another.
    Meantime, keep smiling, be happy and keep moving
    Hope to hear more from all, do appreciate the input!

Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
    dpaz
    (female)

dpaz HB User

hi Rosie, I can give you some first hand knowledge of Topamax. I have been on it since the beginning December of this past year ('04). Topamax is not approved as an antidepressant or even a mood stabilizer, although docs do prescribe it off-label for those reasons. It's not even approved for nerve pain. It is only approved for seizures (which is what it was originally put out for), and migraines. When I started it I was seeing a neurosurgeon for my back and was having what I thought was sciatica. I started at 25mgs. My primary care doc took over the dosing as I also get migraines, and now I have been diagnosed with fibro. Yes, there are lots, and lots of side effects that are associated with Topamax, but there are a few ways that you can avoid the worst of them. I hardly have any. First off, the main key is to start off on a very low dose, and then go up in dosage very very slowly. That is how I did it. I started at 25mgs as I said and stayed there for about 1 and 1/2 months before I went to 50mgs. Then stayed there for about a month before I went to 100mgs, and am now currently at 150mgs. I am sure the doc will increase me to 200mgs when I see him in May. If you are looking for a pill that you can take and feel the effects of shortly after taking it, this is not the medication for you. I did start feeling some relief from the burning in my leg on 25 mgs after about a week, but soon the 25mgs wasn't enough. YOu keep titrating the dosage until you find the one that works for you. The other main key with Topamax is to drink LOTS of water. This will minimize the side effects, and since Topamax could dehydrate you (and possibly cause kidney stones,)water is of the utmost importance. If you do a search under Topamax and Trip, you will find a forum with several people with great personal experiences with the drug. It is not a quick fix. I have lost 20 pounds since December, not really fast weight loss, and I've been really trying too, so it's no magic diet pill, although for some it totally takes away the appetite. I do take it with an antidepressant---cymbalta---the combination has lessened my appetite even more and does seem to help the pain much better. I hope this info helps you. Oh yeah, the side effects I do have are weird tingling in my hands and face, kinda distracting and the bottoms of my feet. I'm a little forgetful, things seem to be always on the tip of my tongue. hard to say though if it's the med or not since I'm kinda like that anyway.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:49 AM   #6
    Lost Robin
    (female)

Lost Robin HB User

Hi Rose,

I'm new on here and this is my first post. This is the first time I've seen Topamax on here so I thought I'd give you my input for what it's worth. I tried Topamax a few months ago. My dr said it should help the pain and my fatique. It may have helped the pain a little but it did nothing for the fatigue. I also take the antidepressant cymbolta. I did not have to stop taking that while on Topamax. Cymbolta has definitely helped with the depressant which is saying quite a lot since I have been treated for depression for almost 25 years and I can't begin to tell you how many different drugs my docs have tried that haven't worked. Effexor and Cymbalta have been the best. Also, those NSAIDS (celebrex, etc.) have not been much help for me either. I have only had one bad flare with pain about a year ago (the other flares have involved severe fatique and mild to moderate pain). I did a lot of soaking in a hot tub!

Good luck to you. I can certainly relate to how everyone on here feels and I do agree with the others on here ... you just have to go through the excercise of trial and error until you find what works for you. This is a great place to get ideas!

Another "Robin"

Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User

hey robin, nice to meet another robin. welcome to the board.
    robin

Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
    Rosieposie
    (female)

Rosieposie HB User
    Smile Re: Has anyone ever tried Topamax

Thanks everyone for the replies. All this realy helps. I go to the Dr Thursday so I have lots to run by her. Just moved here so it's a new Dr for me and have been waiting for her to get my records. Meantime, I've been getting by but not too well. Pain is my worst problem, fatigue a close followup. Right now I'm not taking much meds. To dpaz....I too have a really hard time getting my words out. Sometimes I just can't get the right word no matter how hard I try. Don't think it's med's as like I said..I'm not taking much. My husband kindly bails me out with the word I need when he sees I'm getting frustrated. Welcome to the New Robin. I hope being here helps you too.
    It helps most of all just knowing there is someone who understands what you are going through.
    Everyone take care! Rosie

Closed Thread