HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Cold Sores (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/280496-cold-sores.html)

Talonsmomma 05-03-2005 04:24 AM

Cold Sores

I was wondering.....

Do a lot of people get cold sores with FMS?

Just curious to see if it is a common thing

I get them, and was wondering how may others do also

bluelakelady 05-03-2005 07:16 AM

Re: Cold Sores

hi talonsmomma,
welcome to the board! i do not get cold sores. talk to your doctor. there is a fairly new medicine that stops them before they fully form. you put it on at the first sensation of one rising. i had a friend who got them. the medicine, and i am sorry i do not remember the name of it, worked for her. my limited understanding is that cold sores are caused by a virus in the body. it cannot be "cured" only helped. be careful not to kiss anyone while you are in a breakout.
good luck. they look painful. let me know if you hook up with your doctor and what she/he says.
peace,
bluelakelady

goldenwings 05-03-2005 07:25 AM

Hiya Talonsmomma,

I suffer dreadfully with cold sores both on the inside of my mouth and on the outside too. I have had these outbreaks for years. I have lupus which is an auto immune illness. I have only been diagnosed with fibro for almost a year, so I know that it wasn't the fibro that caused this with me.

Hope you are ok today.

goldenwings :angel:

tkgoodspirit 05-03-2005 08:44 AM

Hi Talonsmomma! Welcome.

I started getting cold sores a couple months back. Sometimes I get them inside my lower lip or inner cheek, but mostly I get them right in the corners of my mouth. They aren't fever blisters per se, but I usually treat them as soon as I feel them come on so maybe they don't get the chance to break fully out. Like what "wings" said, these type sores are common of Lupus or any kind of autoimmune disorder. That is why my doc is running all the auto immune tests for me. The kind of cold sores "wings" gets because of her Lupus are bigger than the ones I get. When you have Lupus, the cold sores become more like fever blisters than just open sores. I do know when I was working, a girl I worked with got them mostly when she was getting her period. So I don't know if it's common for FM, but I imagine anything is possible with FM! You are more suseptable to things like infections and colds. But I would definately ask your doc. I get mine at least once a month and they last a couple weeks. That's when I went to my doc, when they started recurring.

Let us know honey,
tk

goldenwings 05-03-2005 09:07 AM

Hiya Everyone,

Just to add a little more on the topical creams used for cold sores. There is a product here in the UK that is such a definite "no no" for use with patients with auto immune illnesses. Please take care to read all of the literature and data sheets that come with such products.

JenniferEvelynn 05-03-2005 02:04 PM

I also tend to get more cold sores than I consider "normal." I purchased over the counter medication for them - it was expensive, upwards of $14 for a very small tube, but well worth it. At the first tingling, I use it and the cold sores either don't develop fully or, if they do, they are very small and heal quickly. I had a script once for a tube of ointment that insurance did not cover and it cost $75. I forget what it was. Also, an important health note about cold sores. Someone mentioned not kissing anyone when you are having an outbreak because you can spread it. Also, do not engage in oral sex (sorry) during an outbreak. Cold sores are a strain of herpes and can be passed to the genitals. It won't become genital herpes, but will cause an outbreak. My doctor warned me of this one time when I went to see him. I had a HUGE (and I mean HUGE!) cold sore during one of my pregnancies. I think my hormonal situation at the time made the cold sore larger than usual.
God bless, Jen

Talonsmomma 05-04-2005 12:51 AM

Goldenwings...What product would that be?

goldenwings 05-04-2005 05:37 AM

Hello Talonsmomma,

Are you in the UK? If so, I can name the product. I have checked with the posting rules.

tkgoodspirit 05-04-2005 06:59 AM

Hi again!

Good info Jenn! I forgot about all that. It is true. Cold sores are a form of herpes. Oral Herpes Simplex 1 actually and yes, they can be contagious when they are "active" or open. So do not kiss anyone or have any contact with any area that has an open "cavity" or body fluids that can absorb the infection. Oral sex would be one of that kind of contact. Also, when your sores are open, do not touch your eyes and just be sure to wash your hands after you apply any kind of cream to your sores. While your sores are open they are considered active and contagious. My doc prescribed me a "dental paste". At first I thought he was nuts, but my pharmacist said that it does help stop the progression. It forms a film of protection over the sore. It's very gritty and you just dab it on to let it form it's little "cover". It's nasty actually. LOL But if it stops the sores from getting worse and I can actually open my mouth to eat without breaking the sores open, I'll give it a go. I also tried Zoverax and it dried my skin out so badly I quit using it. I also was told that Abreva works well.

So, Jenn, thanks for mentioning that important foot note!

tk

bluelakelady 05-04-2005 07:17 AM

thanks for addressing this ladies. i was reticent to comment about the fact that cold sores are herpes. i had forgotten just enough to know to keep me little yapper shut. my sis got it in her eyes when she was 19. my mom and i nursed her around the clock. we were told she would go blind if we did not get it right. my sis never got it again and her eyes are as good as the rest of our nearsighted family.
we had to create a sterile enviornment for sis and protect ourselves at the same time. i remember washing the toilet seat with some stuff. it was frightening.
i am so sorry for my friends with this. especially the sores that come with lupus. you have all my love and empathy.
peace,
bluelakelady
hooray!! it's raining. i don't have to water today, giggle! thank you mother nature.
breath in the pure joy of living. exhale the residue of pain and saddness. breath. it is the essence of living. still in a silly moooooood!!!!!

JenniferEvelynn 05-04-2005 08:30 AM

tk,

Abreva is what I use. It's very good. I wasn't sure if I could mention the name so I gave the clues of the price and size of tube LOL.

Hope you're all having a great day!

God bless, Jen

tkgoodspirit 05-04-2005 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=JenniferEvelynn]tk,

Abreva is what I use. It's very good. I wasn't sure if I could mention the name so I gave the clues of the price and size of tube LOL.

Hope you're all having a great day!

God bless, Jen[/QUOTE]

Hey Jenn,

I've seen other medicine names mentioned on here as well as prescription names, so I don't think there is much difference between mentioning Aleve or Celebrex. I don't think you can promote the sale of any certain "commission type" products. But products that you find in drugstores like Walgreens or CVS are okay. It's the same as recommending a certain script that you are on and how it works for you.

Let me ask, does that Abreva dry out your skin? That "paste" stuff my doc wrote me a script for is so nasty! LOL Thank goodness it didn't cost much, cuz I don't think I'll be puttin' any of that stuff on my mouth! :)

Nice to speak with you again hon,
tk

JenniferEvelynn 05-04-2005 01:04 PM

tk,
Abreva works quite well...doesn't dry the skin. It feels more like a lotion for your lips. It isn't hard like chapstick, it's not really liquidy.. kind of in between. Does that make sense? It is costly, but I figure if it does the trick, it's worth it! A small tube can last a long time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info on posting drugs names, etc. I was banned once for two weeks, I didn't want to chance it again!!!

God bless, Jen

goldenwings 05-04-2005 01:41 PM

Hiya Ladies,

Old fashioned remedy. Slap some perfume on them. Wow, your head will blow off with the stinging but hey when they find it, your cold sore will have gone he he !!