It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Fibro...glasses and contact lenses

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
    Fibro...glasses and contact lenses

Has anyone else had trouble with their glasses, especially those that wear bifocals after the fibro kicked in. It seems to me that ever since my neck and shoulders have stiffened from the fibro I have more trouble using my bifocals. I can't get my head tilted at just the right angle. I am short 5'2", and that causes a problem when you need to read things above eye level. It seems to me though that I use to be able to lift my head and use the bifocals to read things above eye level. In the last few years I have noticed problems with trying to see things that just weren't right under my nose, I was constantly doing that 'scrunch' your nose and lift your head in the air and that still did'nt work. I hate doing that, you look like such a 'doofus'.

I was forever taking my glasses off to read, even using the computer. It became a hassle when in stores are the like I would be holding my glasess to read or putting them on my head and then have to put them on for distance and sometimes your hands are full. Anyway I am trying the one contact lens bit, because I read with my left eye and I need the lens in my right eye for distance. This does send some mix messages to the brain but so far I do find it better than the glasses for everyday around the house use.

So my question does anyone have trouble since the fibro, I think the inablility to move and hold my neck in the right position because of the neck and shoulder pain is the problem, but maybe not. Can anyone else weigh in on the subject, I know I'm not the only one with bifocals.

Also anyone wearing contact lenses, any trouble after fibro with dry eyes ect.?

May everyone have a pain free day!
    Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
    Re: Fibro...glasses and contact lenses

Hey Glojer!

Yes, I also wear biofocal glasses, have since I was a teen. I first started wearing biofocals when I was like 14, then I went for years without having to wear glasses at all. I have astigmatism, so my eyes constantly change. I think it was probably in my late 30's where I finally got to the point where I needed glasses all the time, but just for distance really. Although I always tested where the doc felt I needed biofocals? Though I could an still can read up close with out reading glasses, unless I have my contacts in. Like you, my contacts are for distance and only when I have them in, is when I need the readers. And as my eyes get worse and the stronger the contacts are, the stronger the reading glasses need to be. I usually wear 2.00 for readers, but can also wear the 2.5's okay, though they are a little strong. But when I take my contacts out at night, I read my book without the need of readers at all.

I have noticed since the FM my eyes dried out quicker when I had the contacts in. I couldn't wear the contacts for more than 9 or 10 hours without them irritating me. I would take them out and they literally stuck to my eyeballs! YUCK! That is so gross when you have to peel those babies off your eyeball! Then I asked my eye doc about the HydroClear. The only contacts I can wear are the Acuvue II. All the other contacts, like Bausch and Laumb (sp?) or what ever the other kinds are, were always too big. I'd put them in and I could feel them rub badly. When I first got the contacts, I kept having to go back because the contacts were so uncomfortable because they were so big. Finally a different eye doc suggested the Acuvue II cuz they are smaller in diameter and yeah, they worked! I also tried those biofocal contacts, OMG! Those are awful. I could see up close great, but my distance was seriously blurred! I also tried those new contacts that supposedly self adjusted for distance and close up. They weren't biofocals, but they supposedly were made to adjust to where your eye was looking so that you didn't need to wear readers. Those, too were awful! They were too big for my eyeballs, also. It felt like I had dinner plates in my eyes! LOL I've also just seen an add on TV that Acuvue is making a new contact lense for astigmatism. I'm going to ask about those, and give 'em a try. What the heck. They probably won't work either, but I figure if they are the Acuvue brand they might not be too big for my eyeballs.

The HydroClear has made a big difference in wearing my contacts. Rarely do they dry out to the point where they stick to my eyeball. I will find more often now that I need to wear my glasses more often, at least for most of the day, cuz eyes DO get dried out more easily. You can tell when you wake up in the morning and your eyes are scratchy. Of course, it's pollen season now and my eyes tear up from that. I get it bad from grass. When I was able to mow the grass, OMG my poor eyes!

I do notice that since my FM has kicked in to full gear, I have a hard time going from looking at the TV then back to something else. Or from a book to something else, or from the computer screen. It's like it takes awhile for my eyes to catch up with what I'm focusing on. That may be due to the astigmatism coming back. My eye doc said it wasn't uncommon for astigmatism to "fix itself" for years, then return later. Well, that's what happened to me. I get my eyes checked every year for a new contact prescritption. My eyeglass prescription usually stays the same unless my contact prescription changes. But I have to get an annual eye exam if I wear contacts. Last year, I didn't have the astigmastism, and this year I did. Like I said, I hadn't been dx'd with astigmatism since I was in my 20's. Which was probably the last time I wore glasses.

I know I went all around the barn, but I hope maybe I gave you some different contact types as alternatives that may help you with your dry eyes.

All, else, Glojer, see if you can't get in to see your eye doc and see if he/she can find anything that would be causing your dry eye.

Hugs to you my dear,
    tk

Old 06-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Thanks for the info TK. I have drops for my eyes 'cause it is allergy season here and it sometimes just makes the eyes itch. I also have astigmatism, and I have always been able to and many times did read without my glasses. Of course you get bifocals so you don't have to take your glasses off everytime you need to read something. My brother has worn bifocals since he was 6yrs old so he has been adjusting the way he sees as he kept growing, he is now 6'2" and 58yrs old so no problems for him. I've only had the bifocals for about 10yrs. but have worn glasses since I was about 12yrs. old. As I said I don't remember having so much trouble with the bifocals until the fibro tightened the neck.

So I decided to go the contact route. I tried contacts about 28yrs ago when you could only get hard lenses for astigmatism, but got pregnant and had to give them up and never went back. Four years ago I tried the one contact lens, but was not as successful with it. I was still working then and was under a lot of stress and I now know the fibro was beginning to rear it's ugly head.

Last month at my eye exam I decided to try the wearing of one contact lens again. There have been a few new improved lenses in the last four years. I do wear the acuvue, and I discovered I need the dailies. Don't know whether it is fibro or not but after one day in my eye the lens gets very sticky and of course the vision degrades.

I only need the one lens to see distance. My right eye sees distance for me and when I need to see up close my left eye takes over. Of course this has a few drawbacks, there is a certain distance at which my eyes won't focus but that is far enough away I don't care. I know it sounds strange but you know each one of your eyes has different vision, one of mine sees up close and one sees distance. If I would wear two lenses to have the far vision and use readers, I would be in the same predicament as the bifocals. At my height I would need those dang readers to cook and see the counter and the stove and such.

Anyway thanks TK my friend as always you have great info. I will keep up with my eye doc and all the new developments on contacts. I just wondered if there was a connection between the fibro and the glasses and eye problem.

Stay well!

Glojer

Old 06-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glojer
    Thanks for the info TK. I have drops for my eyes 'cause it is allergy season here and it sometimes just makes the eyes itch. I also have astigmatism, and I have always been able to and many times did read without my glasses. Of course you get bifocals so you don't have to take your glasses off everytime you need to read something. My brother has worn bifocals since he was 6yrs old so he has been adjusting the way he sees as he kept growing, he is now 6'2" and 58yrs old so no problems for him. I've only had the bifocals for about 10yrs. but have worn glasses since I was about 12yrs. old. As I said I don't remember having so much trouble with the bifocals until the fibro tightened the neck.

So I decided to go the contact route. I tried contacts about 28yrs ago when you could only get hard lenses for astigmatism, but got pregnant and had to give them up and never went back. Four years ago I tried the one contact lens, but was not as successful with it. I was still working then and was under a lot of stress and I now know the fibro was beginning to rear it's ugly head.

Last month at my eye exam I decided to try the wearing of one contact lens again. There have been a few new improved lenses in the last four years. I do wear the acuvue, and I discovered I need the dailies. Don't know whether it is fibro or not but after one day in my eye the lens gets very sticky and of course the vision degrades.

I only need the one lens to see distance. My right eye sees distance for me and when I need to see up close my left eye takes over. Of course this has a few drawbacks, there is a certain distance at which my eyes won't focus but that is far enough away I don't care. I know it sounds strange but you know each one of your eyes has different vision, one of mine sees up close and one sees distance. If I would wear two lenses to have the far vision and use readers, I would be in the same predicament as the bifocals. At my height I would need those dang readers to cook and see the counter and the stove and such.

Anyway thanks TK my friend as always you have great info. I will keep up with my eye doc and all the new developments on contacts. I just wondered if there was a connection between the fibro and the glasses and eye problem.

Stay well!

Glojer

LOL, I guess I didn't really answer your question did I? DUH me!

I would imagine that the muscles in your neck tightening might put strain on your jaw, then your temples, and ultimately your eyes. ????? Do you have any kind of Cervical problems? I have Cervical DDD and a couple of the discs are out of alignment. I DO know that there has been recent research where a certain type of "specialized" chiropractic does ultrasound exams of your neck, right at the stem, and with very careful adjustments to this area, has been known to relieve some FM symptoms, particularily headaches. And aren't some eye problems related to headaches?

Have you asked your eye doc if he/she knows anything about FM and the eyes? I know that MS can have an effect on the nerve in your eyes. Wonder if it is the same for FM? Ask your doc. And I'm going to see what I can find by "probing" my keyboard! LOL

Sorry, Glojer! I get confused sometimes trying to answer a question and I end up talking all around the subject! LOL Never really answering anything, that you already didn't know! My God, dementia!

Love,
    tk

Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TK you don't do anything I don't do, sometimes I get to rattling on about something and wonder what I'm talking about myself. I hate when that happens and I just stop mid rattle and say what was I talking about.

I did lie to you, my contact is Focus toric dailies. They are not acuvue, I think because I need the toric and I don't know what that means.

I have talked to my eye doc about the fibro and she just shakes her head like she kind of knows but I don't think most people really know what it is they just think they do. I also have lupus and that she seems to know more about and suggests I need the dailies because of the lupus. It's all guess work with Dr.s

Boy don't I sound the naysayer today. Yes tk my friend I have back problems and probably neck problems because of it. The only mri's were of my lumbar and thoracic spine, I have ddd and a couple buldged discs and I'm sure that effects my neck. With the fibro though I really have alot of neck and shoulder pain and stiffness.

Take care my friend, thanks for your help always
    Glojer

Closed Thread