It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Chemically Induced Pain...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Question Chemically Induced Pain...

Good Morning Everyone
    I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia since February 2004. I also have many other medical issue's as you all can see in my signature. I am not always sure if my spine injury or Fibro is what is causing all my pain. This just seems to be very confusing at times. Actually it took me a long time to finally admit that I had Fibro as I just kept thinking that my doctors were missing something and just handing me this diagnosis.

Anyway, my question is if anyone's pain has been induced my chemicals or the scent of them? For instance, my hubby once came in after working with oil and he really reeked. Within 5 minutes I had a migraine, was nearly vomiting and later the pain through out my body was really intense. Yesterday, I mixed a liquid plant food with water to feed my plants. In the middle of the night, my body was soaked with such horrible sweats. I awoke from the pain in my legs and was in tears. I took my pain meds and was able to get back to sleep. My hubby woke me up in the middle of the night as he thought I was dead. It seems that my body turned ice cold and this scared him so. Keep in mind that the temperature was about 70. This morning my pain is still on a scale of 9. Already took one shower and need to find the energy to stand in another and then it is back to bed for me. Has anyone ever had any reaction's to chemicals that does have Fibro? Please share your experiences with me if so, so that I will know that I am not alone.....
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Re: Chemically Induced Pain...

Hi Jeanne, I like you have been dealing with soine disorders for 6yrs and then this past Feb. was Dx'ed with possible lupus and FM.
    It took me a long time to figure out all my pain was not spine related, would have though all the drs would have figured it though.
    Now I have no idea what is causing what pain and what symptoms but am going along with the drs as to treating the symptoms and not just the Dx'es.
    I can't really say if any of my symptoms are chemical relateds or not but have been trying to figure it out.
    I was just looking at your sig. and see you have a lot going on in the spine also , I have problems at all three levels and nerve damage but has been confirmed none of my conditions are operable.
    Anyway I wanted to say hi and let you know your not alone.
    Linda

Old 07-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #3
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Linda
    I am sorry that it took me so long to respond back to your post. I am also very sorry that you too, have been suffering with spine disorders as well. It seems as if you also have the problem of trying to figure out if the pain is spine related or the fibro or lupus. I know how very frustrating this can be. Also my doctor's are treating the symptoms but keep ordering more test. I just had another cervical mri and they found even more damage. It never ends... Gosh, I am really sorry to hear that they cannot operate on your spine. That must be very hard to live with.

I also had yet another fibro flare up. I had some ants in my doorway and had sprayed them with an ant spray. Just like before I couldn't move the entire next day. I guess you could say that I have learned my lesson well, I will not use any chemicals anymore. For me their is some sort of connection.

I thank you for letting me know that I am not alone, but sorry that you also suffer with much pain. I will keep you in my prayer's.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello There,

No, I have never had any type of chemical reaction in the way described by Jeanne. This must be awful. If it has been put down to this, then there are some precautions you may be able to take. The only advice is the obvious I'm afraid, use chemial free preparations. Use the most natural products you can. If you cannot find all pure products, wear gloves and a mask when possible. Ask your husband and family to shed their outer clothes before they enter the house if possible. Hope this might be of use to you.

I too have acute spinal problems, but they are not in any way connected to fibro nor are they connected to my lupus. Some of it is degenerative disc problems, which are unfortuntely with us after the age of 21. Arthritis plays such a part too, as you no doubt now. In my case though, I have a very abnormal gait, which is caused by my nerve and muscle wasting illness. The way I walk - or try to he he - has caused my spine to be out of alignment and also to produce intense pain and sometimes stiffness. I had this problem for many years before I was even diagnosed with fibro, so I know it isn't a problem caused by fm.

I do so hope you are able to get answers and some relief.

golenwings

Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
    JenniferEvelynn
    (female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

Good morning Tomorrow...
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. I also have a reaction to certain strong smelling chemicals - although not as severe as your reactions. I tend to get lightheaded and headachey.... dizzy and not feeling well. I also have an acute sense of smell - on occasion. It seems to be only with chemical cleaners, etc.
    I don't remember seeing you here before... if you're new to us - Welcome! It's great to have you and I hope you return many times. We're an expanding family - the more, the merrier!
    God bless, Jen

Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
    hangin
    Veteran
    (female)

hangin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JenniferEvelynn
    Good morning Tomorrow...
    I also have a reaction to certain strong smelling chemicals - although not as severe as your reactions. I tend to get lightheaded and headachey.... dizzy and not feeling well. I also have an acute sense of smell - on occasion. It seems to be only with chemical cleaners, etc.
    Jen
    Hi Jen,

My sense of smell is very acute. I do not allow any chemicals into my home since I can smell them even if they are in the garage. My husbad has to use some around the house so he locks them in a shed way back in the yard.

If someone is using something like nail polish remover and even sitting outside I can smell it and it makes me ill. I get light headed and sick to my stomach. At first I thought I was loosing my mind but through trial and error I narowwed it done. I find it interesting that others who have Fibro tend to have a good sense of smell. I wonder why that is? Anyone have any ideas as to why? I looked it up on the internet and all I could find was the fact that people with Fibro tend to have an acute sense of smell. On the bright side, we could smell a fire anywhere in the house.

My skin is very fair. Due to this and the fibro if I put the wrong lotion on or come in contact with something I get terrible rashes. I do not even know what I touch that sets it off. My husband and I have a joke between us that I am allergic to him.LOL Wouldn't that be awful.

I hope we are able to figure this out to some degree. If not I just accept it as part of having Fibro.

Peace and Love, Janet

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
    Yes, I am new to this particular board. I think that I had posted only once before on this board. It took me such a long time to realize that my doctor's were correct in stating that I had Fibromyalgia. I had my Rheumatologist, Neuro Surgeon & Pain Management doctor all state that I had fibro. After accepting the fact I came here time to time to read and try and make some sense of it all. For me I just kept thinking that I had something else that my doctor's were missing as my health just deteriorated. So Thank You for the very warm welcome, Jen.... It looks like I am joining the fibro family.

Thank You Goldenwings for all your suggestion's as they are very helpful to me. I am sorry to hear of your spinal problems and lupus along with fibro. I can see that I am not the only one with several different medical condition's. I know all to well about DDD as I also have it in my lumbar and cervical area. The arthritis just creeped up on me this last two years. Actually most of my medical condition's all began after my lumbar fusion. You stated that you have a muscle wasting illness. I have been trying to find out what the exact symptoms of the muscle wasting are as their is a possibility that this could also be what is happening to my legs. I do see my neurologist next week and was going to ask him about it. If you have any info to share with me, it would be much appreciated. I also have an abnormal gait as my neurologist said that it is a very wide one. Also last week my new neuro surgeon checked my feet with the Babinski test. I scored a 0 on my left foot as I didn't have any reaction. Not to sure what that means either. But I thank you for your help and pray that you have some less pain.

Thanks Jen, for letting me know that you also have a problem with chemical's and the smell of them. I haven't gotten dizzy yet and I will cross my finger's that this doesn't happen again. The only household cleaners that I have been recently using are windex and palmolive. As you can see, I can know longer get much cleaning done. I really wish you the very best.

Wow Hangin, you can even smell them in your garage. Well, I guess that could be possible with me, that is if I had a garage....lol I am sorry that you also suffer with fibro and this chemical problem. Speaking of being allergic to one's husband, If my husband does not shave and I kiss or hug him, I get a terrible rash on my face. I learned to stay away from him until he shaves.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Jeanne

Old 07-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Jeanne,

I am not a medical doctor and give the following information only as a patient with the condition. I take no responsibility for what you choose to use it for. Thank you .

The information was obtained by me for my own use from The National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke. NINDS health-related material is provided for information purposes only and does not necessarily represent endorsement by or an official position of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke or any other Federal agency. Advice on the treatment or care of an individual patient should be obtained through consultation with a physician who has examined that patient or is familiar with that patient's medical history.

All NINDS-prepared information is in the public domain and may be freely copied. Credit to the NINDS or the NIH is appreciated.

Here is the information:-

What is peripheral neuropathy?

Peripheral neuropathy describes damage to the peripheral nervous system, the vast communications network that transmits information from the brain and spinal cord (the central nervous system) to every other part of the body. Peripheral nerves also send sensory information back to the brain and spinal cord, such as a message that the feet are cold or a finger is burned. Damage to the peripheral nervous system interferes with these vital connections. Like static on a telephone line, peripheral neuropathy distorts and sometimes interrupts messages between the brain and the rest of the body.

Because every peripheral nerve has a highly specialized function in a specific part of the body, a wide array of symptoms can occur when nerves are damaged. Some people may experience temporary numbness, tingling, and pricking sensations (paresthesia), sensitivity to touch, or muscle weakness. Others may suffer more extreme symptoms, including burning pain (especially at night), muscle wasting, paralysis, or organ or gland dysfunction. People may become unable to digest food easily, maintain safe levels of blood pressure, sweat normally, or experience normal sexual function. In the most extreme cases, breathing may become difficult or organ failure may occur.

Some forms of neuropathy involve damage to only one nerve and are called mononeuropathies. More often though, multiple nerves affecting all limbs are affected-called polyneuropathy. Occasionally, two or more isolated nerves in separate areas of the body are affected-called **mononeuritis multiplex**. **This is the type I myself have.

There is a lot of information to be found on PN and related conditions. I do hope this is helpful to you.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-13-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Goldenwings
    Thank You so very much for sharing your information with me. Believe it or not I was unaware that my neuropathy could also affect my muscles and I thought it was only nerves that were damaged.

I have read some info in the internet about polyneuropathy but couldn't find much. I never thought of reading about Peripheral Neuropathy. Again I thank you. Have a good night.
    Jeanne

Closed Thread