It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Prednisone question for those who nowmay k

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #16
    redrobin
    (female)

redrobin HB User
    Re: Prednisone question for those who nowmay k

hi glojet,

yes the 5mg will help.

i was in adrenal failure and endocrinologist started me on 2.5mg

then upped to 5mg.

it really helps combat inflammation.

you will feel better soon.

i have seen many patients on that dose for resp problems too.

just make sure they check your blood sugar.

can rise on long term use.

the above doses for 6 days is a quick fix for trauma and swelling

i think it is called a hydrocorticord pack.

good luck with the prednisone.

alot of people hate to give it up after time because it does help so well.

don't be surprised if he increases to 10mg soon.

:>) robin (newbie)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
    hangin
    Veteran
    (female)

hangin HB User

Hi Glojer,

I have been thinking of you this morning. When you can let us know how the tests went. We are here for you honey, always. Just tell yourself that everything will be ok no matter how it turns out

How are you doing on the prednisone? My husband takes it for his lupus. At first the doc put him on 20 mg a day. He was an emotional mess. He is now on the 10 mg which seems to work just ok. Remember though, his lupus is pretty severe but he chose to have somewhat of a handle on his emotions and deal with the pain.

I did try prednisone and it made me the angriest woman I have ever met. I swear, I was angry at rocks for just being there. So some people cannot take it and I am one of them. I wish I could, even for a little while since I did get relief from it.

Let us know about your hubby when you can. Remember, it is not what happens to you that matters, it is how you deal with what happens to you that matters.

Love you gal.

Peace and love, Janet

"Compassion can help heal our World"

Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #18
    leemarie
    (female)

leemarie HB User

Hi, glojer!

I am taking prednisone for adrenal insufficiency, and the results for me have been nothing short of miraculous...my fibro pain is next to nil, and i am able to get through most of the day without napping! My current dose is 20 mg; we tried to taper down to 10 but symptoms came back. My dr. thinks it's probably because i am so overweight. I am looking into other, less risky ways to treat my AI, and am having all hormone levels tested as well.

Prednisone can be bad on the longterm, but is very helpful and necessary for some conditions, IMO.

Best of luck to you!

Warmly,
    Lee

Old 07-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #19
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Thanks redrobin and leemarie and welcome redbri and thanks for all the info you guys gave me. It always helps to know what personal experiences others have faced on meds, especially when you are talking to the doc and he is giving you tons of info. At least it is always beneficial to me because I usually can form my questions quicker when my brain is loaded with info. Thanks again!

Hangin..I so appreciate the reminder that it is how you handle the situation that counts. We are still in a sort of holding pattern with my hubbys future medical things. The oncologist gave us the "we can do this or this and we won't know until speech". We did like him very much, that's a plus. He will take all my husbands info to the oncology board where the six docs in that practice meet and discuss the cases and he will consult with the surgeon and he is a friend of Lance Armstrongs oncology doc and they discuss cases and he will get his opinion and we will see our doc in two weeks. The CT scan was clear, so no visible signs of it spreading, but the pathology showed that the tumor was starting to break through a blood vessel, that and the fact that it is very rare for a 58yr old man to have the cancer a 20yr old gets I think is why it is not so cut and dry. Although I don't believe any cancer is cut and dry. Soooooooo we will see!

The prednisone seems to be working and so far the only side effect may be a little intestinal problem. No agression yet, as a matter of fact I got absolutely giddy about the fourth day. I told my husband if this is the prednisone your in trouble, I can't seem to shut up and stay on a subject. Luckily it was only one day, I think I just felt so much better not being in pain that I just got a little high LOL!! I'm already beginning to make my list of questions for when I talk to the rhuemy and I thank everyone for all their input it does help. That is what is so great about these boards.

How are you doing lately Hangin, recovering from your vacation I hope.

Peace and pain free days to us all
    Glojer

Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #20
    hangin
    Veteran
    (female)

hangin HB User

Hi Glojer,

It sounds as if your husband is getting wonderful care. I think it is awesome that he has a doctor associated with Lance Armstrong and that you go to a Board of doctors to discuss your husband. I wish I heard of that happening more. Getting all the opinions you can gives you a lot of ammo. A lot of Oncologists do not have a good ability to share with other docters IMO. There have been a lot of people in my family who have had cancer so I can surmise what you are going through. It does sound promising Gloger, more on the postive than negative I would say. I must of missed it but may I ask what kind of cancer your husband has? You are right, nothing is cut and dry when it comes to that disease. It is something that can be beat, remember that.

Glad to hear the predisone is working so well, especially at this time where you need all the energy and painfree days you can. Keep it up. It is great when your enery level is up and it is zippidy-do-da LOL.

I had been in a flare for a while. I don't think you saw my post saying that I should have taken your advice and taken it easy. I did work in the front yard and the next day I could not move I hurt so bad. I am better now, went to the pm doc and he helped fix me. I still am not feeling great but at least I can get out of bed.

I have to go to the Podiatrist today about a nail on my second toe that decided to grow about 1/4 inch in width and then grow into my skin. ARGHHH
    It also has blood behind it and hurts a lot. I am hoping the doc says it is infected and I take anti-biotics before he does anything. There is no way I can have any type of procedure now. I can hardly touch my toe. Sometimes I have to laugh at the strange things I get. Some of them are so out there.

When are you going to your rheumy? I will be interested in what the doc says about your prednisone.

Hang in there girl, you can handle it. Again I will say, we are here.

Peace and love,

Janet

"Compassion can help heal the World"

Old 07-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #21
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Hangin

Yes I did miss your post or I just had brain fog about your yard work. I've all but given up on that. Of course we are in a townhouse (condo) so we don't have to do the yard work, we just do our flowers. If you know anyone who knows how to get rid of lilly of the valley plants that are going crazy and wild, please let me know how. That would be the only yard work I would be interested in doing, and yes I would pay for it later but it would be worth it just to clear some of them out.

I'm happy your pm doc could get you under control. Those darn flares, it seems you never know when they are going to creep up on you and for how long they will last. The fatigue that goes along with them is almost the worst part.

My husband has testicular cancer, the same kind Lance Armstrong had. My husbands is a mixed tissue, the tumor was 50% seminoma and 50% embryonal carcinoma. I am not sure but I think Lance Armstrong had embryonal and that is a very fast spreading type I understand. Testicular cancer has a 85-90% cure rate so the outlook is good. It IS the CURE that sometimes can be the worst. Possibly more surgery to remove lymphnodes and or chemotherapy, we won't know till they tell us. We go back Mon. the 25th to the oncologist. I say we because this is a combined effort, giving support to the one who is sick and worrying about his own mortality is a big part of my role in all this. That and keeping track of all the paperwork and appts., my husband has never been the one to do that!!

The prednisone seems to be working well so far. I have had a day or two where I felt some extra pain, but we have had the leftover storms from Dennis around here and I thought maybe it was the weather. Today I was able to go to exercise class and I did very well, was able to do everything and no great pain. You know you always feel pain when exercising at least I do, I'm not a fitness fanatic so I'm not in the greatest of shape. I do like to do a little physical activity though. Last summer when I was on methotrexate and plaquenil I was getting in much better shape, was able to go to class two or three times a week. Of course that all went downhill when the meth and plaquenil started to give me trouble.

I'm just hoping on such a low dose I won't start to gain weight or get the moon face. Of course the rhuemy may take me off of prednisone, I won't know till I call him with how I am doing. I'm not suppose to call for two more weeks so we will see what his story is then. I don't see how he can deny that I have joint inflammation when the prednisone did work for me, but you know docs. If he doesn't want me to stay on this, then I guess I will start all over again.

Hangin so glad you are feeling better. Thank goodness for your pm doc he/she must be a jewel. Take care of yourself, the only thing to do when you have a flare is rest and then start back slooooowwwwww!!

Glojer

Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #22
    hangin
    Veteran
    (female)

hangin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glojer
    Hi Hangin

It IS the CURE that sometimes can be the worst. Possibly more surgery to remove lymphnodes and or chemotherapy, we won't know till they tell us. We go back Mon. the 25th to the oncologist. I say we because this is a combined effort, giving support to the one who is sick and worrying about his own mortality is a big part of my role in all this. That and keeping track of all the paperwork and appts., my husband has never been the one to do that!!

The prednisone seems to be working well so far. I have had a day or two where I felt some extra pain, but we have had the leftover storms from Dennis around here and I thought maybe it was the weather. Today I was able to go to exercise class and I did very well, was able to do everything and no great pain. You know you always feel pain when exercising at least I do, I'm not a fitness fanatic so I'm not in the greatest of shape. I do like to do a little physical activity though. Last summer when I was on methotrexate and plaquenil I was getting in much better shape, was able to go to class two or three times a week. Of course that all went downhill when the meth and plaquenil started to give me trouble.

I'm just hoping on such a low dose I won't start to gain weight or get the moon face. Of course the rhuemy may take me off of prednisone, I won't know till I call him with how I am doing. I'm not suppose to call for two more weeks so we will see what his story is then. I don't see how he can deny that I have joint inflammation when the prednisone did work for me, but you know docs. If he doesn't want me to stay on this, then I guess I will start all over again.

Glojer

Hi Glojer,

You are so right when you say that the cure can be the hardest thing you are going through when dealing with cancer. There are so many options out there, some better than others. Some more painful than others. Also, it is such a personal decision since everyone reacts so differently to the treatments. Some people will sail through a treatment while others can not take that treatment at all.

It is you two fighting this. The person who has cancer really cannot deal with the paperwork and a lot of the decisions about their treament. I hope that you have good doctors and support to help guide you here. There is a cancer board and there are also cancer centers all over the country and all you have to do is pick up the phone. It can be very confusing as to what will work the best. Is the 25th the day you meet with the board of doctors for their help and input? I hope I do not sound like a know it all, I have just dealt with a lot of cancer in my family and have had to take the reins a few times. I can tell you are an intelligent woman and will do everything you can for your hubby.

Exercise will be a wonderful de-stresser for you. No matter what it is, a walk, a class, anything that gets our bodies moving and puts our minds somewhere else. I have not been able to exercise much in years and I was a fanatic. I worked out everyday until I got Fibro. I still worked out after I was diagnosed until it was hurting me more than helping me. I am determined to at least get back to walking when this balance problem I am having isn't so bad. I hate the fact that I have gained weight. It isn't just for looks, I know that my health suffers from it and that the less weight I carry the better my Fibro is. The only time I seem to loose weight is when my hubby gets real sick and is in the hospital. I stay with him and the food there is terrible. I do not want that to be the way I loose weight though.

My husband could not take the methotrexate at all but he takes the plaqenuil. The meth made him ill immediately and his pain sky rocketed. How come you had to go off the plaquenil? We are rather new with lupus, he has had it since November. I think he had it way before but it wasn't diagnosed until then. I don't know if I mentioned that he could not take large doses of prednisone, he was an emotional mess, cryed at the drop of a pin. That was when the doc had him on 20 mg, he seems to do fine on the 10mg twice a day. I am having that fibro fog again but correct me if I am wrong that you do have lupus? Forgive me for not remembering.

If the prednisone helps you the doc must listen to you and keep you on it, at least for a while. I can be like a lion when it comes to my health or a loved ones health. I know what is working and if they want to crawl into my skin and figure it out they are welcome. So tell this doc it is working, you like it, want it, need it, end of story.

PS. I would have mentioned some excellent websites and places to call but I believe I cannot.

Take care my dear, sorry if I rambled on.

Peace and love, Janet

"Compassion can help heal our World"

Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #23
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You did not ramble on, I enjoy our little talks. You have great info and if we can help someone else while they are reading our 'rambling' then that is a good thing.

I had to stop taking plaquenil because my visual field test at the opthomologist came out as that of someone who has plaquenil toxcity. I had to go to the big university eye center here and had what amounts to an EKG of my eyes. It took 3hrs. The test alone with your eyes wired up and looking at screens and lights and sitting in the dark was about 45min long. It was not a bit painful, the only hard part for me was keeping my eyes open when they flash the bright lights in your eyes. I don't do well with bright lights! It turns out I did not have plaquenil toxcity, the doc said I must have just had a bad day at the opthomologist office when doing the visual field test. I stayed off the plaquenil anyway. I really don't think it was helping that much, I think the combo of methotrexate and plaquenil was what made it work for me.

My rhuemy is not sure now if I have lupus or not, he was sure I was pretty close when I first went to him, but he has since changed some of his thinking. This is the rhuemy I have fallen out of love with as a good doc, but I need to bide my time with him for a while during my husbands illness. I certainly feel for your hubby dealing with lupus is not a fun thing to do. Funny how some people can take one drug and some another. I hope to stay on the prednisone for a while until such time as I can move on to another doc or this one gets his head out of you know where.

My husband and I won't go before the oncology board, our doctor will present my husbands case before the board. Although I would love to be there myself to hear all six opinions, that won't happen. All patients are anonymous, reduced to just a case number, and the six oncologists give their opinions as to how to proceed based on the facts presented. I am sure a lot of practices do this sort of thing. I think it is a very good idea for something as complicated and as 'what if' as cancer can be.

Thanks for your support and ideas Hangin, it is always nice to hear from someone with personal experience. That is why I love coming to this board. Getting the experiences of people with fibro is sometimes the only way to deal with it. I'm sure you have gone to the lupus board to get info for your husband, I go there and they have helped me a great deal also.

I hear ya' about the exercise, once fibro sets in not only do we gain weight from just having the fibro and can't get it off, but trying to exercise is the pits sometimes. Especially when flaring forget it, I don't even try. There are 70 year old women in my exercise class that are more limber than me. The last instructor we had could not believe how tight my muscles were, I just told her she just had an intro to fibromyalgia.

OK now who is rambling!! Take care Janet, I will be out of the loop tomorrow have some family stuff with my brother. Thanks again friend for all your support and help.

Glojer

Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #24
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

My Dear Glojer,

You have been such a support to me recently, and I feel so rude not to have even asked how your dear husband is doing. You too, of course. Please forgive me.

How are you both? I send you all of my love and best wishes.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-19-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #25
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Goldenwings how sweet of you to think of me and my hubby with all you have going on. We are doing fine, at least we tell ourselves we are. We will not know how we are really doing until we see the oncologist on Mon. (I think it is the 25th) that is when we will know what treatment they will be starting on my husband. It is the waiting that is the worse.

I know you know all to well about the waiting game and finding out what the test results say etc. How are you doing now, and how is compassionman these days? I remember he wasn't feeling to great himself.

My prednisone seems to have bottomed out, that is to say it has reached it effectivness and just a little pain has creeped back. Certainly not more than I can deal with. I have gained a few pounds although I don't have the munchies and have been trying to watch my portion sizes at meal times. I guess I haven't done a good job of that!

Thank you so much for remembering me and hubby and take care of yourself. By the way how is the leg?

Glojer

Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #26
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello again Glojer,

I do so agree waiting time is the most stressful time of all. You still feel that you want and need to be all things to all people as it were, and not let yourself look on the dark side, but it's hard sometimes isn't it?

I am obviously not diagnosing you personally, but the pain creeping back is of course because of the steroid reduction, but also think of all that you are going through. Stress plays a big part in excerbating symptoms of any illness. No point in my telling you to relax a little, because I know you can't. My love goes to both of you at this time.

Me and my bits hey !! Well, my ribs all round seem still to be solid, as I said not costochondritis solid, but the surgeon seemed to think I had developed pleurisy, so I think it is an after effect of that. Very sore though, but in time it will lessen. I am really looking forward to a pain free sneeze without having to hold onto my body !!

My wonderful husband is still not very well, but still working around it all as usual. He has an MRI of the brain scheduled for - wait for it - 13th October. There is such a shortage of appointments for all types of diagnostic imaging at the moment where we live, but my husband will not pay to have it done privately. He is adamant, and so I can't do anything to change his mind. He would be very upset if I did go behind his back.

The consultant did though assure us it wasn't needed because he (the doctor) thought there was a serious problem. More that he wanted to do a general look around. My husband hasn't improved any, but the doctor said that it ""is not what is said at the examination but what is not said that would yield answers"". Baffles me a bit, but the doctor is so very good, we both really trust his expertise. I have been a patient of his before and I was very impressed.

I must say thanks for asking after my husband especially. Take care and ((((hugs)))) to you and your husband.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-19-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #27
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

dear golden and glojer,
    please give your husbands a hug and a big sloppy kiss for this lady on the lake.
    love,
    blue
    the deepest expression of love is when one sick person reaches out to help another sick person.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #28
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Last year, my muscle/joint pain was so bad, I couldn't function. . The rhematologist put me on 10 mg of prednisone for 2 weeks, 71/2 for 2 weeks and then 5 mg for 2 months. 2 days after starting the prednisone, the pain literally left. It felt like someone untied me. The stiffness left. I felt best on 7 1/2, and felt a little of the symptoms return when I went down to 5 mg. Last month when the doctor tried to wean me off of 5 mg, going down by 1 mg to 4 mg, my symptoms returned and I had to return back to 5 mg. Since this aggravated the joint and muscle pain, now, even the 5 mg is not enough to alleviate my symptoms. I went to the doctor today, and while he won't increase the prednisone, he wants me to remain on the 5 mg and take a pain killer with it. P.S. I am a long term prednisone user, and the myalgia problem didn't begin until I was completely weaned off prednisone for several months. I was put back on, but I don't like the idea of being a life long prednisone user, but what else can I use?

Old 08-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #29
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Prednisone question for those who may know

dorrie, thanks for your input. I was just at the rhuemy on Tuesday and he wants me to go down to 4mgs. a day, he says he has no problem with me staying on a dose lower than 5mgs forever if need be. He also said he would continue to lower the dose to see how low I could use.

I agree the prednisone has really been good, much better than plaquenil alone and even better than plaquenil and methotrexate combined. I guess it is the drug that works for me. I have even had an increase in my energy level, but that could be because of a number of reasons not just the meds.

I will start the 4mgs tomorrow and we will see how it goes, still have some 5mgs left if it gets too bad, but I don't think I will have any problem.

Glojer

Old 08-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #30
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Great! I hope you can wean down without the return of symptoms. Keep us posted to let us know how you're doing.

Closed Thread