It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Prednisone question for those who nowmay k

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #31
    thomasina
    (female)

thomasina HB User
    Re: Prednisone question for those who nowmay k

I took it many years back, and I thought I was losing my mind. It made me mean, sarcastic, I cried for no good reason, and what about that weight gain????

If you pressed against my skin, your fingerprint would linger. I retained soooo much fluid and didn't make cissy for almost 2 1/2 days.

I gladly took myself off, cold turkey.

Good Luck.

Thommie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #32
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I know prednisone can be a difficult drug, but so far I have not had any side effects that I know of yet. I guess I am concerned more with quality of life at this moment and will deal with any side effects when and if they show up. Others have posted as to how prednisone made them aggressive or crabby or the like.

dorrie, you are right, the 5mgs did not take away all the pain but what pain was left was certainly managable. I hope the same is true for the 4mgs. I guess I will be finding out.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #33
    shirleycurley
    (female)

shirleycurley HB User

Could you tell me why you went off Plaquenil? I have just started taking the medication and am looking for any information I can find.

Thanks
    ShirleyCurley

Old 09-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #34
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Shirley.

I am assuming you are seeing an opthomologist every 6mos. like you should while taking plaquenil. I was and this past May when I went for a regular check up I failed my visual field test, the results came out like someone who has plaquenil toxicity. I stopped taking the drug immediately while I waited to go to Wash U. Opthomology dept. for an electro retinalgram (something like that). All was fine, I did not have any eye damage from the plaquenil. I had only been taking it for two years and according to the docs that was not long enough to have any eye damage and of course 99% of people taking plaquenil never have any trouble. I did not go back on the drug and when my rhuemie saw me a month later he didn't put me back on it.

I will say though that I didn't get the relief from plaquenil that I am getting from prednisone. That is when I was taking 5mgs of prednisone. I am now taking 4mgs and it isn't doing quite the job as I wish it would. I did have a general overall 'icky' feeling while taking plaquenil but I did take the generic which is called hydroxychloroquine. Maybe that had something to do with it. I have to say from all my research plaquenil is a much safer drug than prednisone and I would probably give it a try again if the situation warranted it or if it would be prescribed. The worse side effects I had were probably the stomach upset and the fact that I could not tolerate any dairy products at all while on it.

I thought the blurriness that I suffer once in a while was the plaquenil, but I noticed that when I took the 5mgs of prednisone I didn't have that problem and now on 4mgs I do. So the problem was obviously not the plaquenil.

I know all these drugs are scarry, but I say if they work and you don't have the side effects try them. Had my visual field test not have been bad I would still be on plaquenil. The top doc at Wash U said I probably just had a bad day, maybe I was a little extra tired that day, who knows why I flunked the test but 3hrs of all the things they did convinced me it was not damage from the plaquenil. For some reason I don't have the side effects most people experience from prednisone (at least not yet) so I will continue with it for a while because right now it gives me some relief.

I hope I helped, please try not to worry but be sure you get the eye exams every 6mo.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 09-08-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Closed Thread