It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Has anyone tried lyrica for fibro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User
    Has anyone tried lyrica for fibro?

Hi,

Just wanted to give a report on lyrica (new drug that isnt made for fibro but has been suggested that will help with it.)
    my doctor had been singing the praises of Lyrica for about a year now. You have no idea how excited i was to finally get some samples two weeks ago from the doc to try it before i bought the prescription.

First day it knocked me off my feet, i mean i felt such a "high", not the good kind of high but something i would imagine a street drug high would feel like. I say imagine because ive never done street drugs before. My brain felt weird actually, and different thoughts kept creeping into me. not suicide thoughts or anything like that, but just very weird off the wall thoughts and i couldnt stop them. From fantasy to the feeling paranoid stuff.

I have to admit tho, that the first day i slept for about 3 hours after taking one in the morning. Its 3 times a day. I also have to say that for about 3 hours i felt no pain, usually when i sleep i wake up due to hurting or moving around when i sleep. That afternoon, the same, felt no pain and i thought this is GREAT. The "high" feeling i got only lasted about two days.

Well as always, about a week the severe pain came back, seems stronger than before i was on them. I know that fosomax (which is for osteo) did the same thing, (muscle, bone aches, spine hurting) to me, and now i find alot of women going OFF fosomax because of these side effects. Now im wondering if im having a few bad days or if its side effects from the med, which i did research on this morning and read the prescription package paper that was in the box of the samples. Well, muscle aches, burning sensations, aches, are a side effect of the meds. Have you ever noticed that alot of the drugs you take for a particular illness, have side effects that mimick the illness youre suppose to be taking the drug for??? that part i dont understand. like say you take something for acid reflux, then you get side effects such as, stomach problems, diareah or constipation, burning feeling in stomach, etc etc.

Will wait another week or so before i give another report on lyrica . If anyone else has used it, please let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried lyrica for fibro?

I tried Lyrica a few weeks ago starting at the lowest dose since I'm hyper-sensitive to all meds. I basically took it to relieve tingling sensations in my hands and feet along with burning pain in my neck and shoulder. I noticed that within one day the tingling in my hands got worse. I didn't feel "high" but my stomach became very bloated and somewhat upset. I was afraid that the tingling would continue to worsen, so that, along with the stomach problem, made me discontinue. Once off Lyrica, the tingling went back to the way it was within a few days.

I, too, thought it strange that it made the very symptom it was supposed to help worsen.

Carol

Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

Hi carol , sorry it didnt work for you hon. Yes i too have some burning in the neck and down the shoulders. I find that when i take the med, the burning gets much worse. I keep thinking should i keep going and continue, maybe the side effects will disappear, or just get off of them completely, which of course will bring the burning down to its normal everday burning level. Yes i have noticed bloating in the stomach as well. Forgot to mention that. I do think that is one of the side effects i read as well. I took one in the morning, and pain level went up. But we're expecting bad weather tonight so kind of attributed it to that, (or making excuses). After a few hours the pain level went back down to a 5 which is normal for me. I just took another one about 10 mins ago, will wait a couple of hours then come back and post if the pain level went up again or not. I know this isnt very interesting conversation , but i figured id post it anyway , that maybe it might be helpful to some who are considering taking the med. Just letting them know that its not completey side effect free. I really do hope tho that it works for some. I know what works for one might not work for another and vice versa.
    Jen

Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
    damz68
    (male)

damz68 HB User

Hey, I have been on lyrica for about three weeks know and it has done little for me. Like you it made me very high the first couple days. I take 150 mg at night and I wake very dizzy. Dizziness has been a huge part of my illness since the begining so I have not been able to take that other pill in the morning for fear that I may have problems taking and picking up my girl from school.

Yesterday my legs felt awful. The pain is so bad it is hard to explain, from my lower back to toes. I can not figure how a 36 year old with perfect weight could feel like this. I think today I will try that daytime pill. That will put me at 300mg in a day. If that dont work nothing will.

Derek

Closed Thread