It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Amitryptiline and groggy in the morning??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
    3leafclover
    (female)

3leafclover HB User
    Amitryptiline and groggy in the morning??

My doctor recently prescribed Amitryptiline and I have taken it a few times so far, but I feel SO GROGGY in the morning and have had SUCH A HARD TIME waking up in the morning. It also makes me VERY sleepy (but she said to expect that). Is it normal to be so groggy in the morning and does this go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #2
    Kristafer
    (female)

Kristafer HB User
    Re: Amitryptiline and groggy in the morning??

I finally stopped taking it due to it making me groggy. My grogginess wasn't just in the morning, but all day long. It DID help a little with the pain, and it DID help me sleep better, but between the grogginess and strange dreams... it just wasn't worth it to me.

Cymbalta has been my most recent "find" for pain relief. I don't know how I ever survived without it. Well... I have the best, most supportive, most understanding husband in the world. He's so great at taking over EVERYTHING for me around the house when my fibro flares up. He's even better than Cymbalta, he just can't relieve my pain.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Kris

Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
    DecLady
    (female)

DecLady HB User

That was just one of the side effects I had with that drug. I also gained 20 pounds...and had a dry mouth that started some peridonatal issues for me. Then , to top it off, I started waking up 8 or9 times a night! I also tried Nortriptyline...which worked about the same. At that point, my rheumy told me that he didn't like those drugs at all..that he thought they were sleep interupters....and that he rarely used them. So, I chose to stop.

I then found Valerian root...and when I do have alot of trouble with sleep, I take that OTC herb for a week or so. I felt much better when I wasn't taking those drugs.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I was on a tricyclic, I think Pamelor. I had the same symptoms. I took it early in the evening so i wouldn't wake up so groggy. I was even running in the mornings. I felt great on that med. I took it for depression before i started having fibromyalgia symptoms. I had to stop taking it because my bladder wouldn't empty and then just shut down.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I was on it also. It is a terrible drug. I couldn't tolerate the same effects you are having.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User

It used to make me sleep for days...

Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
    Simaruth
    (female)

Simaruth HB User

i Was on that and now i,m on Doxepien its in the same Family its to keep you asleep. I take mine at 7 at night because it.s so long acting. I take 10mg. and that is a small dose. I have horrible itching on my arms. Theres no rash just itching and that use to help me and now its not helping with the itching. I FEEL LIKE I,M GONE CRAZY PLUS I CANT FALL ASLEEP. mAYBE SOME ONE CAN HELP ME. sIMA

Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

That whole family of drugs Amitryptiline, Elivil is terrible. I knew someone who tried to commit sucide on the stuff. The doctors will tell you "give the side effects time to wear off." Bull. I took it for a few days and I tried them all. Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Welbutrin etc. That by far was the worst and nasty drug I ever took.

Last edited by builder; 03-11-2006 at 12:02 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
    tazz72
    (female)

tazz72 HB User

I was taking Amitriptylene for my symptoms but I had to stop taking it for the same reasons. Not only was I feeling groggy in the morning but all day long very tired & I was asleep early every night. It did help my symptoms somewhat & definetly improved my sleep(tooo much!!!) but once my body adjusted to it everything returned again!!!
    No meds for a while, now my DR wants me to try Effexor XR, another antidepressant used to help alleviate pain/discomfort of Fibro symptoms.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I had the same problems with amitriptylene several years ago when I started my fibro journey. I enjoyed the sleep for a few nights, but that groggy hangover feeling the next day was awful. I stopped taking it after a few good nights sleep and would try it off and on for a few months after that but it did lose it effectiveness. I didn't like it at all!

I have not had any other antiD's so can't comment on those but did have a rhuemie try to give me zoloft once when she heard I had fibro. I went to see her for a diagnosis of some other problems I have. Once she found out I had fibro she wanted to give me zoloft and coundn't get past that. I threw her samples in the trash, did not fill the script and canceled my next appt. I'm not against antiD's they are just not the drug for me and I have a great osteopath that treats my fibro with me in mind not the drugs.

Glojer

Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
    ashraven828
    (female)

ashraven828 HB User

As you can see from the replies, Amitryptiline is notorious for giving you morning hangover symptoms and no, it doesn't go away, or at least it never did for me.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #12
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

This is a vrey old anti. with the most side effects. I am off all drugs now...Thank God...but last September a Dr. put me of 100mg of it...Whoa I slept all day and gained 50 pounds...Still trying to get that stupid weight off.
    It is nasty!

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
    3leafclover
    (female)

3leafclover HB User

I COULD NOT stand Amitryptiline!!! AWFUL!!!! AWFUL!!!! AWFUL!!!!! My doctor gave me trazadone and I take 1-2 pills at bedtime with no morning fuzz and it really helps me sleep smoothly and peacefully.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
    Butch0926
    Inactive
    (female)

Butch0926 HB User

When I was diagnosed with fm, my doctor put me on amitryptaline, 10 mg. for neurological pain. I take it, along with 75 mg of trazodone before bed. I've woken up groggy several times, but can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

At first I thought it was the Flexeril I was taking to relax my muscles. Then I thought it was Ambien, which I use occasionally to get some deep sleep. Nothing seemed to point to the culprit. Last night I took Flexeril for the first time in several weeks and woke up clear-headed.

I don't know if the amitryptaline is doing its job, but as long as I don't feel groggy in the morning, or gain weight (which I haven't) I guess I'll keep taking it. I'm very tired of experimenting with my drugs.

I am keeping track of our weather patterns to see if they're affecting my brain. I have learned that when it's raining, humid and hot, I feel worse all day. Today is a comfortable, sunny day and I'm feeling pretty good.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #15
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

ive been on it (elavil) for 12 yrs. i did gain weight , what med doesnt do this i ask? lol every med im on seems to make me gain extra weight. but i was on 100 mgs of elavil and ohhh man what that did to me. nightmares galore, dry mouth, grogginess thru out the entire day.

the doc i have now lowered to dosage to 25 mgs. i take it at around 8 pm, and go to sleep around midnight or 1 am (just cause hubby gets home from work at midnight and im used to staying up late) and it took a while for the side effects to finally stabilize. i find that it helps me sleep and there is no more grogginess for me in the a.m. but then again ive had years at that dose for things (side effects) to stop. i dont care particularly for the drug cause of the weight gain it caused, and the horrible time i was on 100 mgs, but at 25 mgs it does help me sleep and ive tried so many other things to sleep that havent helped me. so is it a good drug? not for the majority of the people i think, but at the time i had, or was offered no other choice for sleep, so had to take it or else i wouldnt sleep all night long. i guess for me, after years of on it, the grogginess side effect has disappeard.

Last edited by Jenetti; 07-23-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Closed Thread