It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Health anxiety and fibro......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
    sayNOtoanxiety

sayNOtoanxiety HB User
    Health anxiety and fibro......

I've recently been diagnosed with fibro. I also suffer from anxiety. I'm just wondering how to get past the health anxiety? With all these symptoms I feel, I'm ALWAYS thinking something VERY serious is wrong! I wonder how I can feel so terrible sometimes, and feel so many wierd things and "only" have fibro? I don't mean to make it sound as if fibro is nothing because I definitely know it's SOMETHING very real and serious, but my Dr. tells me it's not at all life threatening. What I mean is I feel like something has to be killing me sometimes! I've been to Dr after Dr and had test after test done only to be told in the end that I have fibro and anxiety. Yet, when I feel so bad, I still feel like it's got to be more than fibro, but my Dr. says it's not. Can anyone relate? When you feel severe symptoms, do you go back to the Dr. or do you just attribute it to fibro and try to get through? This fibro is a monster! I can feel something one day and worry about it, then the next have a totally different "symptom". Then I worry about something else. I can't keep going to the Dr. to have every symptom checked out because I'd be there all the time, and I'd constantly be repeating test after test. I just feel like I'm in a downward spiral and I just can't get back up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User
    Re: Health anxiety and fibro......

Is your fibro the result of something else?

Like: auto accident, lupus, ms, etc. ??

When and why do you think your fibro symptoms started?

Just curious....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi SayNo, I too was recently diagnosed with this insanity named Fibromyalgia. I went into a nasty downward spiral the first 9 weeks or so, and am finding light at the end of the tunnel. I actually have made it a 1/2 day almost pain/symptom free. From all the caring people I have read of and communicated with, it appears that there are several levels of fibro and a flare day, week, month, year inevitably is miserable and hellish. Hopefully you are just going through your "initiation" massive flare as I like to look on mine. If so, then perhaps you too will start to improve along and along. Trust me on running to the doc, I ran up in the tens of thousands trying to make sure I was not actually dying last year....lol. If I was wasn't so healthy I guess I would be dead.....lol. It is bizarre to feel as if we are in the throes of deathly symptoms and find it is caused from fibro. Makes little sense, and somehow diminishes the fact we feel like sh#$. Hang in there, and keep in touch on the boards. There are some really wonderful and helpful folks that are living in the same boat with ya.
    ~Mim

Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
    sayNOtoanxiety

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luv2read
    Is your fibro the result of something else?

Like: auto accident, lupus, ms, etc. ??

When and why do you think your fibro symptoms started?

Just curious....
    I have fibro alone. (besides the severe anxiety!) I've been tested for rheumatic illness, ms, neuro stuff, all negative. My symptoms started last Sept. I think. I really don't know what brought them on. I wish I did. My Dr. seems to think it was the anxiety. I don't know though.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
    sayNOtoanxiety

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimgregg
    Hi SayNo, I too was recently diagnosed with this insanity named Fibromyalgia. I went into a nasty downward spiral the first 9 weeks or so, and am finding light at the end of the tunnel. I actually have made it a 1/2 day almost pain/symptom free. From all the caring people I have read of and communicated with, it appears that there are several levels of fibro and a flare day, week, month, year inevitably is miserable and hellish. Hopefully you are just going through your "initiation" massive flare as I like to look on mine. If so, then perhaps you too will start to improve along and along. Trust me on running to the doc, I ran up in the tens of thousands trying to make sure I was not actually dying last year....lol. If I was wasn't so healthy I guess I would be dead.....lol. It is bizarre to feel as if we are in the throes of deathly symptoms and find it is caused from fibro. Makes little sense, and somehow diminishes the fact we feel like sh#$. Hang in there, and keep in touch on the boards. There are some really wonderful and helpful folks that are living in the same boat with ya.
    ~Mim
    Thank you so much. I hate to know that others have to have this too, but it's also nice to know that I'm not alone. I actually think my initiation flare was last Sept. That's when it all started. Since then, I haven't had a flare quite as bad, but bad enough. You are right. It just makes no sense. Take care!

Old 02-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

SayNo, always remember fibro is what you have not who you are. Fibro only determines what you may or may not accomplish on any given day but it does not determine your attitude and how you think and feel about things. One of my favorite sayings is 'attittude is everything'. I know your anxiety may be caused by many things, but if it is from the fibro.....don't give fibro that much power over you!!

Everyone has those funny little aches and pains and symptoms, give them a day or two and don't worry about them if they are getting worse then listen to your body. We all know our bodies and what is important and what can wait to see if it gets better. Trust yourself and give yourself a chance to not let fibro be in control.

Let us know how you are doing.

Glojer

Old 02-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
    sayNOtoanxiety

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glojer
    SayNo, always remember fibro is what you have not who you are. Fibro only determines what you may or may not accomplish on any given day but it does not determine your attitude and how you think and feel about things. One of my favorite sayings is 'attittude is everything'. I know your anxiety may be caused by many things, but if it is from the fibro.....don't give fibro that much power over you!!

Everyone has those funny little aches and pains and symptoms, give them a day or two and don't worry about them if they are getting worse then listen to your body. We all know our bodies and what is important and what can wait to see if it gets better. Trust yourself and give yourself a chance to not let fibro be in control.

Let us know how you are doing.

Glojer
    Hi Glojer. Thanks for the encouragement. I know that right now this fibro is in complete control! And I do think the anxiety is a direct effect of the fibro. If I didn't have all these achy pains and symptoms, I wouldn't worry so much and I'm sure my anxiety would go down. I sure hope over time I'll get the control back. I'm sure going to try!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

SayNo

You sound pretty positive about getting back your control. Good Attitude!! Trying is all we can ask of ourselves, once we try we can usually succeed. Take the control away from the fibro and listen to what your body is telling you and before you know it the anxiety will start to go down. I know you can do it, and you will. We have a saying here....baby steps.....just a little bit at a time. We will all be here to support you, and little by little you will begin to gain that control back.

Glojer

Old 02-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
    latte163
    (female)

latte163 HB User

Hi there SayingNO~
    I was first diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks and down the road as things added up- fibromyalgia. I know EXACTLY how you feel and it's a difficult road to go down. My anxiety is primarily health anxiety. If I start to feel something new, I will sometimes end up in a panic attack because I'm terrified that I'm going to die. I constantly second guess testing. But there are times that I have to sit myself down and tell myself that I'm ok and that my body is just different. I'm not saying that it is an easy thing to do, but if I don't do so- I'd drive myself insane...and my family too. Hang in there!

Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
    sayNOtoanxiety

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latte163
    Hi there SayingNO~
    I was first diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks and down the road as things added up- fibromyalgia. I know EXACTLY how you feel and it's a difficult road to go down. My anxiety is primarily health anxiety. If I start to feel something new, I will sometimes end up in a panic attack because I'm terrified that I'm going to die. I constantly second guess testing. But there are times that I have to sit myself down and tell myself that I'm ok and that my body is just different. I'm not saying that it is an easy thing to do, but if I don't do so- I'd drive myself insane...and my family too. Hang in there!
    Hi! It sounds like you completely understand where I'm coming from! If you don't mind me asking, when were you diagnosed with the anxiety/panic and then how soon after that were you diagnosed with fibro? I too am trying to convince myself that fibro is my problem and nothing else. It's just that there are so many different things I feel that it's hard not to worry about something else. I've had so many tests done and many different Dr's telling me I'm OK you'd think I'd believe it by now. I'm really trying! Thanks for telling me about you and take care!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User

Oh my God..i am SO glad i came across this post..i have the SAME exact problem...ALL i think about 24/7 is what;s wrong with me..i got tested for MS and it came back negative,but,i still dont believe that it;s neg...i've had several blood tests done and now i go to the neurologist tomorrow and my mom thinks it's fibro(i got muscle weakness,stiffness,fatigue,migraines,tre mbling,small twitches,muscle pain/aches) and it's to the point where now i dont even leave the house because i'm SO scared that i have something worse with me and i think i;m going to fall and collapse outside cause my legs are weak and i am dizzy 24/7...even right now..i'm scared to walk around my house cause i think my legs are gonna give out on me and my BIGGEST fear is being in a wheel chair..i think.."how could it JUST be fibro?" even though i dont know if it is yet but i have SO much anxiety that i cant even leave my house anymore and i think i am dying ALL the time

Old 03-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi SayNo,

There are a few alt. med. remedies that are helpful for both anxiety & fibro.

Magnesium is very helpful for both relaxation & muscle pain. You can take it orally (the citrate & malate forms are best) or you can use it as a bath soak (Epsom salts). However, if you tend to very low blood pressure, magnesium can exacerbate that & is contra-indicated.

The good news is that when mag. exacerbates low bp, it may be a clue to ck adrenal function ... so many fibro flares have an endocrine component to them.

The other remedy I suggest looking into is EPA fish oil. It moderates pain, & recent studies show that it is helpful for anxiety. Also good for depression, & nothing but wonderful for your heart. However, it must not be used by anyone with a blood clotting disorder, or people who are on blood-thinner meds. And if you are having surgery done (even dental), it must be discontinued for a few days prior to the operation.

Have you heard of Andrew Weil, M.D., the popular holistic med guru? For panic attacks, I recommend getting ahold of his CD entitled Breathing. I promise you will be entertained & educated by listening to his talk, even if you decide not to go through with the mindful breathing exercises. It works! It's helpful! And if you can get the CD at the public library like I did, it's free!

Best wishes & many remissions.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Missyisme1,
    Quote:
    ...dont even leave the house .... i think i;m going to fall and collapse outside cause my legs are weak ... i am dizzy 24/7... i think my legs are gonna give out on me ... BIGGEST fear is being in a wheel chair
    I've been there, during a flare. Does your doc know the details of your acute flares? Some lab tests during a flare may be helpful.

If your blood pressure runs low to normal, you could try taking a small amt of salt (like 1/8 tsp.) in OJ to see if it helps your dizziness. Do not try this if your bp is elevated. Do not try this if you take or have been recommended to take blood pressure meds. Do not try this if you are on any steroid meds like hydrocortisone, or any other med that causes sodium retention. If you do try the test & dizziness lessens, ask your doc for adrenal function testing including ACTH.

I use a walker at home during periods of weakness. Assistive devices are not shameful, they are SMART! if they prevent complications from falls. I also have joint instablility due to arthritis at times. I wean off of the walker as my flares subside, first to a quad cane, then back to no devices.

I use motorized carts for shopping when I am flared. They're great! And elevated toilet seats when your legs are weak? Worth their weight in gold ... I got mine at Walmart. Those grabber tools w/suction cups, too.

Don't fear assistive devices. They help you get on with life & be less anxious. The flip side is to not become dependent on them when they're not needed, to keep your body as strong & active as it can be.

I use assistive devices to save my energy for researching & working on finding out root causes for fibro pain. There is a lot we can learn about how to help ourselves, and action, self-determination, is one of the best remedies for health anxiety that I know!.

Best wishes.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User

Dizziness was one of my first symptoms years ago.

My very first symptom that something was going wrong was when I was pregnant with our second son in 1995. I suddenly lost side vision out of my right eye....I remember standing by my husband and then all of a sudden coudn't see him standing next to me.

Was sent to a dr ( an MS dr....didn't know it at the time)....he didn't order an mri because I was preg.
    He wrote down some stuff...and sent me on my way.

I find out that this dr is a MS dr....find out through my dad's first cousin who was seeing him at the time ...she has very bad MS right now.

Six or more years pass ....I go back to him with more symptoms....he asks me "Did anyone ever mention MS to you"? I say...no... He orders mri of brain and neck.....no lesions...sends me on my way...

Now I'm getting worse through the years. More symptoms piling up....Yeah, I go health anxiety.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
    latte163
    (female)

latte163 HB User

Hello SayNO-
    I'm sorry it took me so long to check your post. I only check in once and while. I was diagnosed with anxiety in 1999 and fibro "stuff" started in 2001 with official diagnosis shortly following. But when I look back I had symptoms in high school and even before (i.e. growing pains as a child). At one point in high school I remember being diagnosed with a "bruised rib" which I know now was costal-chondritis. But even thought I deal with it quite frequently, you'll still catch me on the couch listening to my heart with the stethoscope that my RN mom should've never given me!!
    The truth is in any given day I could diagnose myself with a handful of diseases/illnesses- and it's HARD as can be to convince myself otherwise. We are actually hoping to start a family soon and the fear of pregnancy runs rampant in my mind. I can only imagine what crazy ideas will come to me then! BUT- I have to, for the sake of conception and eventually a child, let those thoughts go as much as possible.
    Sorry- I'm rambling on and on! Anyway, just know that you're not alone and that we can regain control.
    Take care!
    latte

Closed Thread