It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Advil, Execedrin, Aspirin, ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
    Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Advil, Execedrin, Aspirin, ???

Ok, tonight is a very bad FM night...midnight and I am walking the floor still....just took 2 Tylenol ES...only because Tylenol is all I can take until after my surgery on Wed. My doctor stopped any aspirin-like meds a week ago in preparation for surgery. I don't think I realized how much I was actually being helped until I had to quit taking the Excedrin for this surgery. Tylenol is doing nothing for me, or so it little that I don't notice it. I am wondering how the various OTC pain meds work for others.....wondering if there is a pattern to what generally works and doesn't? If others could post about their experiences/thoughts I would greatly appreciate and am sure that others would find your information interesting as well. Thank you.

For me, I seem to get most noticeable relief from Excedrin. I also think Ibuprofen seems to help, but it really gets to my stomach if I take it for more than a week or two. As I said, Tylenol alone doesn't seem all that helpful to me for some reason. but acemetaphine is one of the ingredients along with aspirin that is in Excedrin, so maybe it's usefulness is enhanced for me in a hybrid formula. It's wierd because my dad had the same experience---he suffered with Migraine like headaches and only Excedrin would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
    Re: Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Advil, Execedrin, Aspirin, ???

Hi jam,

Tylenol does absolutely NOTHING for me. A drink of water does me more good than tylenol and yet I know people who get lots of relief from it. I have tried naproxin and aleve and those kinds of drugs, they aren't too bad but nothing gives me relief like good old ibuprophen. For some reason, maybe it is the anti inflammatory process it has, I get the most relief from ibuprophen. Aspirin is ok if it is all I can get, but it doesn't really help that much and I have to take so much of it for relief.

I always take ibuprophen with some sort of food. I think that's the trick to keep it from hurting your stomach. At least that works for me and I take sometimes 800mgs of prescription ibuprophen at a time. I usually just take 2 OTC pills though and if I need to I take 3 and I get some relief.

Everyone is different, my hubby doesn't get any relief from tylenol either but aspirin as well as ibuprophen (less than I take) helps him.

Glojer

Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Sorry you are suffering Jam.

If you are headed for surgery, DO NOT USE the fish oil I rec. for pain on another thread. That is a def. no-no before surgery due to blood clotting issues.

Would your doc OK a warm epsom salt tub soak? It's just temporary relief, but it may help you keep your sanity.

Does your pain alleviate at all w/heat? Sometimes picking the worst of the acheys & applying a little heat (20 min. at a time max) can make life livable, tho' maybe not productive.

Sniffing pure essential aromatherapy oils is something I use to help get through bad pain. Peppermint oil is good, or whatever pure scent you enjoy. Scientific studies show that aromatherapy can help put your brainwaves into a more relaxed space, helps you ride the pain through. Note, use only the pure essential oils, not drugstore perfumes or household air fresheners.

And then there's deep, slow, mindful breathing.

Best wishes.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

So sorry you are having to suffer til after your surgery. I must agree with the previous post that heat, warm soaks, and aromatherapy (rose and lavender soothe me!) might be your only alternative if the OTCs aren't helping. I have never had even a dent in my pain with OTCs when I am flaring. I do take Excedrin for the headaches, but often must follow up with a pain killer. Good luck with your surgery, and I pray for quick healing and relief!
    ~Mim

Closed Thread