It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• someone PLEASE READ..anxiety killing me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User
    Unhappy someone PLEASE READ..anxiety killing me

Hi,I'm 23 and feel 90! i don't know how to start this,just that for the past 2 years i have had these symptoms,progressing thru till now where it's real bad
    -muscle weakness/pain/aching
    -burning sensations through out whole body
    -stiffness in wrists/fingers/feet
    -feeling like i'm going to fall over or my feet won't walk me anymore
    -depression
    -severe anxiety
    -heart palpatations
    -breathing problems
    -migraines
    -blurred vision/black spots
    -dizziness,CONSTANT for about 4 years now
    -nausea
    -tingling/trembling/numbness/twitching in legs/hands/arms
    -stomach pain/back/neck pain
    well i went to the doctor about 800 times and all she tried to do is put me on anti-depressents..i know anxiety and depression can cause alot of symptoms..but..i am so physically weak and in pain(esp in my legs) that i KNOW it is NOT depression causing all of this..i got tested for thyroid(neg.) and a few other blood tests..all perfect and i got tested for MS..which scares me the most,they did with and without contrast and said it was Neg. for MS,they just found that i had a sinus infection,but,i am SO convinced that this is MS that i dont even leave my house anymore b/c i am so scared of falling on my face and i am so weak and dizzy,i've began drinking alcohol everynight to make me feel better(it works) cause i cant deal anymore...i'm going to the neurologist in 2 days..anyone have any advice? PLEASE help me...i feel my life has been robbed..will it ever get better? could it still be ms?i am so terrifed i cry everyday and just want it all to end...anyone feel this way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
    softball893
    (female)

softball893 HB User
    Re: someone PLEASE READ..anxiety killing me

[SIZE=2]

Well, the first thing that you need to do is take a deep breath and breathe. It is very difficult going through testing when you are not sure what you are needing to be tested for in the first place. You have some of the same symptoms that I have. I have to say that I have not had the depression or the anxiety yet. There are alot of things that you could be suffering from such as Lupus, MS, rheumatoid arthritis. It sounds to me like you need to invest in seeing a new rheumy. You might also want to see about being treated for depression as well. Hang in there. It takes time to get the diagnosises that we need. You are not alone!

Liz

Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User

Hi Liz,
    Thank you for replying.It is so hard to calm down when you feel your world falling apart..EVERYTHING races through my mind..i've been married for 2 years and i want to have kids,i want to be a vet asst. SO much and i am SO scared of ending up in a wheel chair or soemthing.could it still be MS if those other mri's came up neg? i've also been to the hospital many times in the past year and they always do a cat scan of my brain(checking for tumors..esp when i go in for horrible migraines) and everything they show is fine..this all started after i moved from NJ to Wa b/c my husband is in the CoastGuard..i dont leave the apt. i dont have a job,i just keep physically and mentally getting worse...the dizziness started about 4 years ago RIGHT when i got off drugs(i had an addiction to EVERYTHING but i got off drugs and alcohol) and ever since i stopped abusing drugs i've been dizzy everyday and now all this..what do you do when you're this scared to calm down?

Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
    dwallech
    (female)

dwallech HB User

HI
    First you need a new dr. Second, just my opinion, I feel depressed when I dont' feel well and I don't know what is wrong or why, which can cause anxiety. I would get a different dr and tell them you know you own body and you are upset as you are not getting answers. Not getting answers is the worse when you don't feel well. Did they check your level of serotonin? Did they do an indepth ANA test for antinuclear antibodies for immune problems?
    Also do you have any friends where you live you can have for support? We are here to support you and know you are not alone. It is a difficult time. Let us know how we can help and how your tests are going. I would find a new dr yesterday which I think will be your biggest help. Hope you feel better and know we are here for you

Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User

Hi,
    Thank you SO much for the support! you have NO idea how good it makes me feel to have someone to talk to about this.Noone understands..my husband is SUPER supportive and stuff and is always there for me but i he doesnt understand how i feel physically so it;s hard..and my mom is always telling me it;s just stress and anxiety..it's frusterating!
    no..i havenot got a new dr..i go to the nuer. in 2 days..hoping he can help me..my doc blows me off..keeps saying it is anxiety and depression..noone takes me seriously i feel like giving up everyday i just cry.No..all my friends are back home since we moved here i have no friends..it;s hard.i feel so sick and weak all the time though that i dont even go out anymore..i even am too scared to even go food shopping most of the time! it is crazy..i feel like everything is falling apart.i just want answers..maybe a new doc would benefit me..God knows this one just thinks it;s all in my head..truth be told..i am actually praying it's all in my head...then atleast i'd know it wasnt anything serious..ya know? well thank you for your support!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
    cals
    (female)

cals HB User

OMG! Reading your post was like reading what I'm going thru right now! I have all the symptoms you have. I've been getting really numb in my legs and face though. I just started getting really dizzy. I'm scared too. I have anxiety attack on top of anxiety attack. I just wanted you to know that someone knows how you feel and you're not alone! BIG HUGS!

By the way~Is your burning especially bad in your wrists and ankles??? Like if I crack my fingers (which I have to do all the time cuz of stiffness) do you get burning thru your wrist?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User

yeah i get burning EVERYWHERE..but..when i get it it is usually the worse in my back and legs.
    i know i HATE that you are feeling this way too but i get so relieved to know that i am not alone.Today has been really worse for some reason..i feel like i'm having a full blown panic attack today..but..no sweating or claminess..i just feel like..terrified..for no reason..like i'm going to lose it and be crippled and lose my mind..it's really hard to describe..i am SO scared right now cause i am all alone and i feel REALLY weird.do you ever feel this way? i mean..i ALWAYS have anxiety..but..today is especially worse..i dont know what to do with myself.what do you do for anxiety?b/c i feel like i'm losing it...and my whole bottom of my back hurts real bad and everymove i make i feel pain shoot down my back(on the bottom) and now my right leg is going numb....does it ever get better..

Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
    cals
    (female)

cals HB User

Oh hun! I'm so sorry! Yes, I got the anxiety going. Severe attacks like I forget where I am and I walk back and forth not knowing what to do. I swear I'm going to die. Sometimes I think my legs and arms are going to freeze up on me and I won't be able to move. Scary feeling! Just to let you know a couple of weeks ago I was admitted to the psych unit at our hospital. I couldn't take it anymore. They wanted to calm me down. That is where I was told I have Fibromyalgia. But my Rheumy don't really know yet. He wants more tests done to rule out other things first. I'm so scared that I cry and panic non stop. Coming to these boards has calmed me down some. But I hate that rush of fear that I feel thru my body. I can't take it. Just know that we understand!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
    2totsnfibro
    (female)

2totsnfibro HB User

Hi fellow fibromites, I'm so glad you've gotten such great support. I too agree that you need a new doctor. These days you have to be the captain of your ship when dealing with the healthcare system. I changed doctors and it made a huge difference for me.

Also for anxiety I found taking Kava Kava Extract helpful. B vitamins help as well. It will get better and you will get better. Keep educating yourself, read all the posits on the forum as there is great information in there.

Out of curiostiy was there anything like a birth, surgery, accident or injury that preceeded your symptoms? They thought I might have MS too but it turned out I had neuropathy from a bad epidural.

Good Luck and seriously try the kava kava. It keeps my anxiety monster at bay.

2tots

Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
    Missyisme1
    (female)

Missyisme1 HB User
    Unhappy Re: someone PLEASE READ..anxiety killing me

Thank you for your reply's and comments..it really has helped me having people to talk to who dont write me off as being crazy.Today has been real bad..but..tomorrow i go to the neuro,and,i'm just praying tomorrow will be better...that;s all i can do anymore is pray for the next day to be better.Does anyone else just feel like their lives have been robbed? i just turned 23 and i just wonder all the time "why?" like..i just want more time cause when you feel this (and you all know what i mean) it doesnt seem like there's any chance of it getting better.
    Kava Kava...yes..my mom used to take that and suggested it to me..but..okay dont laugh..i'm too scared to take it cause i'm scared it will,like,alter my mind..not that ANYTHING would be better then the mind set i have now,but,i get nervous taking even 5HTP(this is where some of my anxiety comes in) b/c even Excedrine or aleve make me feel dizzier(then my usual) and i get nervous that things like Kava Kava will make my muscles even more weak to walk! i know i must souns crazy..but..maybe if you say it works i should give it a try..because i put myself thru hell everyday anyway.well..wish me luck tomorrow and here's praying for the best.

oh..p.s....do any of you have any suggestions on being not..so...anxiety filled? like..praying,or,hypno therapy? any suggestions? i know someone mentioned to me a breathing cd,i am going to look into that as well.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
    latte163
    (female)

latte163 HB User

Hello there-
    So sorry you're going through this. There's another post that is similar to yours that I responded too, so you can look there too. But I have to tell you that I remember feeling the way you do about leaving the house. I used be terrified to go from the parking garage to the school I was going to, afraid that I would have a heart attack and collapse somewhere between. I still will occasionally fear being alone at home, particularly when my fibro is flaring and/or my heart palpitations are frequent. I've had numerous tests...too many to count. Everything is negative. I see spots daily- all sorts of colors- and I have no answers. At this point, I have to just tell myself that I've had many tests and they are negative, so it can't be anything serious. It's ironic that you used the words "falling apart" in one of your posts, as that was my screen name on an anxiety forum I belonged too. I am 26 and know what it feels like to say "why me?" But that's when you have to look around at other people/things that are much less fortunate than you. Yes, we FEAR that our legs will be too weak to walk- but we CAN walk...and we HAVE legs. Try to turn your negatives into positives. A breathing/relaxation CD is a great idea. I do mine everynight. There are many great anxiety programs out there that can help you learn strategies. Just pop it into a search engine. I hope I've helped a bit. Good luck with your neuro visit.
    Latte

Old 03-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Missy:
    This is such a hard process. Finding out you have fibromyalgia is an elimination process. It's frustrating when all the tests keep coming back okay, and YOU know things are far from okay. It's as though you are on a ship with no direction and you are without a compass. But knowing this is fibromyalgia (certainly sounds like it), will give you direction so you can begin your journey to a healthier you.

Several things helped me - this is all based on what I've experienced - and many people have different methodologies. Many people with fibromyalgia have anxiety and panic attacks. The reason this happens COULD be that you are suffering from hypoglycemia which is a very common symptom in people with this condition. My doctor put me on a low carb, sugar free diet, which my body responded to within 6 weeks. When you have hypoglycemia, what happens is you eat something really carby or sweet so you will have a quick rise in blood sugar levels, followed by a severe plummet in a short time. Your body responds to the plummet by sending in adrenaline (the panic hormone, fight-or-flight), which gives you that yucky feeling like you want to pass out, heart pounding, blah blah blah. If you eliminate the sugar and eat low carb, it stabilizes your blood sugar levels and then with time you feel so much better, much more energy, don't feel like the Queen Mary trying to get by on a quart of oil; plus the added benefit of far fewer panic attacks and anxiety.

The other thing that helped me, was to excercise. It was tough at first, since my body hurt so bad. I would plod along like a horse about to die, but I kept it up and my energy levels started to rev up. I also like the side benefit of looking more fit and having lost weight. Excercising also releases endorphins into your system, which help you to feel better.

The third thing I did, was started on a guafenesin protocol, which helps your body to shed the stuff in your symptom that settles in your muscles, tendons, organs, brain, well. . . just about everywhere I suppose. It takes time for the guafenesin to eliminate the junk in your trunk, but eventually it goes. What makes this protocol tough is you have to be patient while you flare and cycle the stuff off, which means there will be some pain. But if you manage the medication with just the right dose for you, it isn't really, really awful. After three years, I am mostly pain free, no more fibrofog, bladder infections, IBS, migraines, depression, etc. etc.

There is something out there for you that will work. I encourage you to research and not put your care totally in your physician's hands. They aren't always too swift on this particular syndrome and don't seem to always know the length towards which this awful things tries to destroy your life. I can simply say, I loathed your doctor's attitude. That is enough reason to say adios to the dude, and find one that has compassion and will champion for you.

I believe in you, you are strong, durable, stretchable, powerful; and most of all, you are a woman who can do what it takes to get back on her feet! One thing about struggle is it causes powerful inner strength.

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #13
    seal1964
    (female)

seal1964 HB User
    Smile Re: someone PLEASE READ..anxiety killing me

I am sorry for your anxiety and know how you feel. What gets to be more of a problem is starting to think of every single possibility of what might be wrong.
    Turned out I have diabetes type II, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, excess yeast all over my body and post traumatic syndrome. After awhile you might quit trying to figure out what it is that hurts that day. Exercise is painful but I do not want to be an invalid so I keep going through the tears. Don't give up. The time will come when you will find out and then you will be able to decide how to deal with it.
    Keep coming & talking. It helps to smile, cry, be angry, depressed or just want to vent about doctors that think we are hypochondriacs. Which is why when I'm 100 yrs old, I am planning on having on my tombstone, "See I told you I was sick!" Good luck.

Last edited by seal1964; 03-26-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
    sheri42
    (female)

sheri42 HB User

You sound exactly like me 7 years ago. I had all of your symptoms that you listed. I also was diagnosed with fibro. Um, I can tell you that probly half of the symptoms you listed would go away if you could get your anxiety under control.

easier said than done, I know as I am dealing with some severe health issues myself right now. The more I freak out the more freakier (is that a word??)I feel. You need to get on an AD for the anxiety. Especially if you are starting to not leave the house.

Once you get the anxiety under control, you will be able to get the rest figured out. Maybe request your doc to refer you to a rheumatologist for a fm exam. I had 16 out of 18 tender points. Mind you, I was freaked out about ms too. I did get on AD and then things went from there.

If you do have fibro, the alcohol will only add to your grief.
    Take Care
    Sheri

Old 03-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #15
    Surya
    (female)

Surya HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2totsnfibro
    Out of curiostiy was there anything like a birth, surgery, accident or injury that preceeded your symptoms? They thought I might have MS too but it turned out I had neuropathy from a bad epidural.
    OMG. 4 years ago I thought I had a bad epidural. After I had my son, my legs were numb and could urinate on my own for weeks. The lady took a stab at me 5 times before getting it in. I was begging for her to stop each time to stuck me because it was painful.

How did they determine you had a bad epidural? MRI on your back?

I do not worry about what will happen; only on what needs to be done!!!!

Closed Thread