It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Fibromyalgia.. is it dangerous?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User
    Question Fibromyalgia.. is it dangerous?

i have had ALOT of health problems,at this point my parenst think im just a hypochodriac, and dont even listen to me anymore.

ive looked up a few pages, after finding out i have Dysmenorrhea, but i dont fully understand what Fibromyalgia is.. i was hoeping someone here could tell me, also, is it something dangerous? or just annoying?

also.. im only 16, and my problems seem to be getting worse, they werent very noticable when i was younger, what could that mean? i noticed it getting worse 5 or 6 months ago during my period, ive been looking into cuases ever sense.

i am in some sort of pain almost contstantly latlrey, i cant sleep becuase of it, ive been having nightmares Every time i fall asleep becuase of it, for the past two months, too

how likley is it that i have it, sense i have the fallowing problems:

Chronic Chest Pain
    Chronic Headaches
    Non-Allergy Rhinitis
    Depression (only sometimes, may be tied to my cycle..?)
    Dizziness
    Weak Immune System
    Oral Thush (had not gone away for the past 5 months, ive seen dcoters.)
    Muscle Twitching and Weakness
    Diagnosed iwth "Growing Pains" (growing pains my bum, i stopped growing years ago!)
    Chronic Mouth-Ulscars
    Unexplained Chronic (Non-Cavity) Pain in Mouth
    Hyotension (low blood pressure)
    Fatigue
    Fibrofog (or atleast EVERY symptom of it, REALLY bad.)
    Morning Stiffness
    Anxiety & OCD (its so bad i feel hopeless! im anxious all the time, really baddly..)
    Skin Problems
    Sleep Disorders
    Chronically Recurring Carple Tunle + plus that thing like it in your elbow
    Widespread Pain
    Dysmenorrhea (i get that bad-bad-bad!)
    Nausea (im nausus like.. all the time!! i hate this the very most!)
    Memory Loss
    Clicky Joints
    Sensativity to Cold & Heat
    Rappid Heartbeat
    Possible IBS

ontop of all of the pain and anxiety, the people who are suposed to love and suport me keep calling it hypochrondia, i just want to cry!

ive looked up the diagnosis & test info online.. i have widespread pain and many of the other common symptoms, i guess ill just hpe my curent docter knows enough about fibro to check the tender spots, i know i cant talk my parenst into going out of their way to get me tested for it, and im seeing him soon already.

Last edited by iyami; 03-28-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User
    Re: Fibromyalgia.. is it dangerous?

i called my docter about it, to see if he can testme, he actually LAUGHED told me tehres no test for it, and to dress warmer, drink orange jucie and take vitimin C, and take morin form joint pains.

i already told him ive been doing all of that for months, but he sorta ignroed it and said "get back to me if taht doenst work"

it feels liek no one listens to a word i say.. how am i going to get tested if no one belives me? better yet.. why dont they belive me?! im not makeing it up.

its all becuase my tests keep comeing back clean, but isnt that even more reason to suspect fibro?

i officially want a new docter!

on the bright side..
    i also called my mom, i asked her about her.. D word taht means bad cramps, and she said "yes i have fibro" .. she let em freakout for 7 months.. without telling me she had it.. i may scream.

she also laughed at me, but shes kind of a saditst-*****, so i expected that from her.

i am jumping to conclusions by guessng this, but teh fact that i ampraciclaly my moms cloan, and she has fibro makes it pretty likley that its whats wrong with me too, right?

she agreed to find me a new docter, also my old one was a pediatritian.

Last edited by iyami; 03-28-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: called mom

Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Iyami:

Oh how sad that no one is listening to you. Not being heard when you know something is wrong is just the most awful feeling. Everyone on the fibromyalgia board has experienced that, I'm sure. If your doctor is not interested in helping you (drink OJ, for gosh sakes, how silly), then on you go to a new one until you find the right one. A rheumatologist is a good start.

A lot of your symptoms suggest fibromyalgia. If you get the right doctor, he or she will help you to get to a better state. The anxiety can be controlled by eating a lower carb diet, no sugar, eating really healthy. Teens sometimes eat a pretty poor diet. Look at what goes into your mouth and see if low-carb, sugar free helps you to feel better. Eliminating caffeine helps, also (no soda, coffee). Also, eat 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals. It will help control the anxiety that comes with unbalanced sugar levels in your blood, and will help the IBS.

I have fibromyalgia in my family line and it can be hereditary (but a lot of times it isn't). Has your mother found appropriate care, or is she still going in circles also?

Love,
    Kirstee

Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

it is the worst feeling ever.. but sense im under 18, im ignored alot.. im kind of used to it.

i eat a wonderful diet for a teenager, and a nice diet for any age, hoenstly, lots of fruit & evegtables, peanutbutter, fish, etc., my anxiety is defintily more than just teenage hormones.

i was told to have 1-2 cups of coffee every day, for my low blood pressure, though, ill have to talk to my docter again befor ei cut it out of my diet. eating more fiber helped my (possible) IBS Alot, and i have stable sugar levels (was tested for diabetes becuase of how awful i feel) , and eat smaller mroe frequent meals for my hypotension already

my mother is .. responcible only in a halfassed way.
    she says she got treatment years ago when she was diagnosed, and shes on pain meds now, shes also raised her low BP but thats about it.

i forgot to list, i have Dyspareunia, too. is tehre anything i can do to get rid of it? its very frustrateing..

i cnat get tested for at the very least 2 more months, becuase tahst the soonest i can get a new docter, but both of my parents seem to think i have it, so atleast that much is comferting. i get more widespread pain than my mother does though.. even right now theres a stabbing/pullig pain in my left hand.

Last edited by iyami; 03-28-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

one more quick question.. i am still not sure anythinsg worngwith me, i mena after being told your "perfectly nromal" a million times you start to wonder..

is it normal to get little pains all over your body 24/7?
    thats not a rehtorical question, by the way

Last edited by iyami; 03-29-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
    bilij
    (female)

bilij HB User

Goodmorning iyami, it's hard for me to remember when I was your
    age. I was raised on a farm and had to work so hard all my teen age years.
    I finished high school in 1948 and went to work at minimum wage and was so
    happy to have a job. If I had one suggestion for you, it would be to get
    involved in the outside world and try to stop thinking negative thoughts about
    your health. Pain is a part of the human experience and most of the time we
    just work through it and realize it's not that bad. Please know I'm not trying to
    down-play your pain and concern about health issues, I am praying that you
    get the help you need NOW. Being young is so wonderful and I don't want you
    to miss the joy. Do you belong to a youth group at your church? There you
    will meet other teenagers and enjoy doing fun things. Are you still in school?
    If you are, talk to your school counselor about your fears. In the past this
    board has had several teens who posted. Maybe you can look back and find
    their posts and realize how they have coped with fibromyalgia and other
    physical problems. Remember, God made you special.... there is not another
    YOU in the whole world. You can be sure God knows and cares about every
    cell in your body. Give your doctors a chance; believe them when they say
    your test are negative; embrace life my young friend and it will embrace you.
    A fibro friend from Alabama.
    Bilij

Last edited by bilij; 03-29-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wrong word

Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

i am not a christian, so no.

i was pulled out of shcool for my anxiety, twice, i WANT to go back to school but i cnat if my parents dont start acting parenst and DO something to help me, i legally cant becuase im only 16.

i always belive them when they say my tests are negative, but my docter wont even test me anymore, he thinks i just have hypochondria, so i cnat even be sure i have fibro yet,
    its not so much pain thats botehrs me, its not knowing WHY im in pain thats getting to me so much

thanks for you concern, but ive already missed out the "fun" of childhood, my childhood was pretty abusive, and ive never known how to act like a kid, nor can i, my parents are way too irresponcible, Someome has to act like an adult. im not complaining though, it cant be helped.

Last edited by iyami; 03-29-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Post Re: Fibromyalgia.. is it dangerous?

You've just given the symptoms to several illnesses.

One big one: Fibro
    Another big one that I think go together like peas and carrots: LUPUS

FIRE that DOC and find someone who will LISTEN to you. I mean don't go to him/her and spend one more second of your time.

You may have to go through several..........I went through 30 back in the early 80's. Thankfully you shouldn't have to go through that many.

KEEP TRYING .............................

Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

well.. ive already looked into lupus, it doenst seem very likley that i have it, i dont have enough of the symptoms, also my mom has Fibro..

my lupus-matching symptoms:
    * Achy joints
    * Prolonged or extreme fatigue
    * Mouth sores

just those three, nothing else, and those can be explained by my "growing pains" aka BHJS, mouth-herpes which gives me olscars alot, and low blood pressure + bad sleep patterns.

ive never had a seizure, my blood is in perfect shape, no rashes, no kidney problems.. i think it would be a bit much to worry about lupus knowing all that

i cant go through docters very fast it takes atleats two months everytime i want a new one.. i will go crazy if i have to go trhough more than one! it already been 7 months, i want to know whats wrong with me ASAP.

Last edited by iyami; 03-29-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

good news!

after much more soclding and guilt-trips, Finally, im getting a new docter! i Finally got my parents to stop procrastinateing also they lied about how long it taskes to change docters, thats irritateing.

ill get that trigger point thing test on monday if everything goes well

if i dont have atleast 11/18 do i definitly not have fibro, though? some days i feel worse than others so im worried about false diagnosis

Last edited by iyami; 03-29-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Post Re: Fibromyalgia.. is it dangerous?

Absolutely not. That trigger point test is a bunch of HOOOIE in my humble opinion....they just don't have any other critera to diagnose.

I've never had just 18...................it's been all over my body from the get go practically.

I know they have to use some scale.....but that's HOOIE to me. If they only knew how much HOOIE ! AND YES, it CAN be only a few at a time. NOT the whole 18 plus. It waxes and wanes..........and moves.

Last edited by BlessingsGalore; 03-29-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
    jules1
    Veteran
    (female)

jules1 HB User

Have you seen a gynocologist about your cramps? You might have endometriosis, if you have so much pain. Endometriosis is sort of considered an immune disorder (they still don't know everything about it yet).

Also, I'd get your thyroid checked. Hopefully your new dr will help rule things out.

Do you take any medicine for your anxiety?? Anxiety can cause ALOT of health problems, such as headaches, backaches, and IBS. I speak from experience, because I have a lot of the symptoms you have!!

Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #13
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

I have fibro and now have had thyroid removed due to nodules. Jules1 is right - get it checked. If you have had thyroid tests what do they say? Fibro/CFS and the sores in your mouth (I can't remember what it is called), seem to be related sometimes. A LOT of young people, especially females, have thyroid problems. A LOT of your symptoms also suggest thyroid - among other things.
    Doc found all 18 points on me - some I didn't even know I had. This was in 1997 and most docs said it was in my head and to go to a shrink!
    Hope you get some help from your new doc!
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 03-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

my symptoms dont match endometriosis, ive already looked into it.

alot of people say it sounds like a thyroid problem,but it seems highly unlikley to me, with how few symptoms match

my symptoms marked in bold: [coppied & pasted from *****]
    Hypothyroidism:

* Lethargy, slower mental processes or depression.
    * Reduced heart rate.
    * Increased sensitivity to cold.
    * Tingling or numbness in the hands.
    * Development of a goiter.
    * Constipation, heavy menstrual periods or dry skin and hair.
    Hyperthyroidism:

* Weight loss despite increased appetite.
    * Increased heart rate, higher blood pressure, nervousness, and excessive perspiration.
    * More frequent bowel movements, sometimes with diarrhea.
    * Muscle weakness, trembling hands.
    * Development of a goiter.
    * Lighter or shorter menstrual periods.

no.. i am not on any meds for it, and i kinda dont want to be, they seem scarey, teh side effects.

i didnt think i had Any trigger points untill i saw teh chart, i poked my neck where it labed one, and it WAS sensative, iw as suprised.. i havent checked anywhere else though

Last edited by iyami; 03-31-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Iyami:
    Many fibro sufferers are prone to hypothyroidism. I'm on Armour Thyroid replacements which help a lot, since my thyroid is not funtioning well at all. It causes my hair to be thin, funky nails, and I get tired.

It is also common for fibro sufferers to have really bad periods, with cramps. Many also have endometriosis. Fibromyalgia causes so much disruption in your body that you will have numerous symtpoms every day, amongst them being the feeling have having flu 24/7, as you described. Fibro is not dangerous, it's just horribly annoying and incapacitating, but life still can go on. You will find the right care since I can see you have a mind that explores and desires better things. Keep going in the direction of your heart and insist for your rights as a human being to feel the best you can.

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Closed Thread