HealthBoards (
-   Fibromyalgia (
-   -   pain (

cindis pain 09-13-2006 02:33 PM

does anyone get pain meds,my doctor hasnt given me anything for 1 year now,he says that the dea will not let him.i was told i had fibromyalgia in 2005. anyone else in mphs tn,the doctor i had then helped me with my pain she moved out of town,now i cant find anyone please help!

pixiepoodle 09-15-2006 11:49 AM

Re: pain

You didn't mention what type of dr. you are going to. Being that you live in a big town, you should be able to find a dr. who will prescribe pain meds for you. Have you tried a pain mgmt. dr? or a Rhemy? The best thing to do is call and talk to the staff and ask if the dr. treats Fibro and if they do, if the prescribe meds and what kind. Please don't give up, because no one should have to go without being able to take some kind of meds. Good luck to you and God bless you.

rag_doll 09-19-2006 09:49 AM

Re: pain
You definitely need a new doctor. If he says the DEA won't allow him to prescribe narcotic medication, either he has had a problem with them in the past, or is just afraid to prescribe. It makes me really angry when people like us with fibromyalgia, need pain meds to live a normal life, and drug abusers make it so hard to obtain what we DO need, because the doctors fear prescribing. I go to an internalist and a rheumatologist. I have meds for the everyday pain, and then when I am having a really bad flareup, I have something stronger. Keep on calling around to doctors, or call a pain management clinic. Good luck from Wisconsin!!!

DecLady 09-20-2006 06:33 AM

Find another doc!
I live in KY, just moved here this summer..and the first doctor I went to, a GP, had no problem giving me pain fact it was much easier with him than with my former doc in WI! At my second visit he expressed concern about the amount of tylenol I was taking at the doses of vicoden I use every day...his suggestion is oxycontin. Now THAT surpised me some..But he has a sister in law with fibro...and seems to take it as a serious illness. So, I KNOW there is a doc in TN that will prescribe meds for that will help you be more comfortable. You can make calls...and ask if they treat fibro patients at the office before you make an appointment. You can also have a consultation appointment to assess how the doctor will treat you!
There is a good doctor list that can tell you doctors in your area that are good with fibro patients too. I think it is on the national fibromyalgia association site.
Good luck..and don't give up!
You deserve to get help!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM.