It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• is this fibro?what can be done?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
    cam724
    (female)

cam724 HB User
    Question is this fibro?what can be done?

so i am concerned about my mom....she thinks she has fm but has never been diagnosed. burning muscles, pain in legs, tired, bowel problems, headaches, wants to crawl out of her skin...are these all symptoms??? she has been in bed for 3 days now....i dont know what to do...my mom never has energy and can sleep at any time and anywhere, this is ruining so much stuff for her, she's only 44...also it seems to get really really bad at the same time of year every year..oct and nov. does this happen to anyone else? any info and answers would be greatly appreciated thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
    Re: is this fibro?what can be done?

Hi Cam,

Sorry to hear your Mom is having these problems. How nice of you to step in & try to get info.

Fibro is diagnosed by ruling out other conditions that might account for symptoms, and also testing for tender points. There is no blood test specific to fibro -- yet.

Does your Mom have a competent doctor & has your Mom talked to her doc about her situation?

Many diseases can mimic fibro symptoms. It's important to have a good checkup before simply self-diagnosing.

There are many diseases that may co-exist with fibro: nutritional deficiencies, depression, thyroid & hormonal imbalances, auto-immune disease, chemical sensitivity & toxicity. OR, any of those ALONE might be responsible for fibro-like symptoms. The point is, thorough examination & testing will often help in finding treatable contributors to pain & energy problems.

As for what can be done IF someone has fibro, people have different points of view. Most (there are exceptions) GPs will not do very thorough testing -- and simply offer antidepressants. These will help about 25% of those with Fibro, so maybe worth a try. Some people get both pain relief & energy increase, others one or the other, but they don't always help. Some docs will offer various painkillers. There are a number of medications out there that are helpful when first taken, but which lose their effectiveness after a while. However, most MDs treat symptoms & are not inclined to look for causes of fibro.

Many of us have had more success working with alternative med docs than with regular MDs. Tracing food intolerances, nutrient deficits & minor hormonal imbalances is more often pursued by naturopathic docs than by MDs.

If things really flare up in the fall, that is absolutely a clue that should not be dismissed. Things I would check:
    1) Does your home have sources of mold -- mycotoxins can do this.
    2) If this starts into heating season, has your home/furnace been tested for carbon monoxide.
    3) In cold weather, the body's requirement for thyroid hormone increases. Be sure that if your Mom has thyroid testing done, that she specifically asks to have her free T3 & free T4 levels tested. These will not be done unless she requests them.
    4) Do you live in an area that receives less sunlight in fall & winter? If so, your Mom may wish to research Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD can be a component of fibro-like syndromes.

Best wishes.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
    cam724
    (female)

cam724 HB User

thank you very much for the info..it was helpful, now i need to let my mom know her options and figure this out..thanks again

Old 12-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
    shelovescliche
    (female)

shelovescliche HB User

It's important to note that you cannot be diagnosed with FM unless:
    1. Every other possibility has been checked, crossed off of the list.
    2. You have had persistent symptoms for at least three (if I remember correctly) months.
    3. You meet the tender point evalutation requirements; there's 18 trigger points on your body. I can't remember how many exactly you have to have; I had sixteen. Now I have eighteen. If a certain number of those tender points hurt when they're pressed on, then FM is a possibility.

Keep in mind, though, you need to check everything else. Full bloodwork, MRI, everything.

Closed Thread