It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Any one have a chronic sore thoart with FM

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
    sunny47
    (female)

sunny47 HB User
    Any one have a chronic sore thoart with FM

I have a chronic sore thoart - comes and goes and is not bad, just there. The doctors see nothing unusual but I can feel it. Has anyone else had this with FM or am I dealing with something else. Has been going on (off and on) for 8 - 9 months with no explained cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
    Re: Any one have a chronic sore thoart with FM

Hi Sunny:

A sore throat is very common. My fibro doctor explained it as referred pain from the spinal common in my neck. The pain is only annoying and nothing to worry about.

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Old 01-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
    sunny47
    (female)

sunny47 HB User

Thanks - That makes me feel much better. Since I am an R.N., I always think the worst and hate to keep complaining to my pcp and he says it looks fine. I had not seen any posts before on this so decided today was the day to ask. Learn something new every day - not necessarily something you want but does help to put the pieces together.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
    steerpike
    (male)

steerpike HB User

Hi Sunny,

I have a lot of muscle pain/weakness/stiffness/soreness/numbness/neurological symptoms and a constant sore throat! Doctors have attributed it to chronic, low-level strep infection.

It may be a good idea to get an ASOT (strep antibody level test) done. If it's over 200 units, then your problems may be curable with antibiotics. Unchecked strep can cause a lot of really nasty autoimmune symptoms. Most Gps are unaware of this.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
    sunny47
    (female)

sunny47 HB User

I did take a 10 day course of antibiotics back in July, I think it was - did not really change anything. It , the throat, was doing fairly good until recent bout with shingles (scalp and face ) and now it is back again. Doc says it looks fine.

I did have a nasty strep infection as a child and was under treatment with penicillin shots for a year and then had surgery to correct a defect from when the removed my tonsils. At that time I did not have a sore throat - had stomach pains and after being in and out of hospital one doc looked at my throat and said lets culture this one spot - the strep was inside the wall of my throat.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
    steerpike
    (male)

steerpike HB User

The strep could have been tolerant of the antibiotic/dose, not to mention that it takes a long time for ASO antibodies to go down. So even with antibiotics you could still have symptoms. My ASOT is at 380 units after 6 months of antibiotics... I'm still having symptoms.

Keep in mind that throat swaps don't necessarily tell the whole story. Just ask for a simple ASOT... it's a common, easy test. With your history of strep, it would be a really, really good idea. I've read case reports of Strep and myalgia being linked.... check it out on google scholar.

Most docs believe that strep autoimmunity is limited to rheumatic fever, and nephritis. That's not really the case. What I have is like MS, only it responds to long-term antibiotics. (it's not lyme either)

It may also be a good idea to get an infectious disease doctor.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
    steerpike
    (male)

steerpike HB User

Could also be EBV/herpes related. Maybe that's what the shingles are?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
    sunny47
    (female)

sunny47 HB User

Shingles are herpes zoster - latent chicken pox - the virus is left over from when you had chicken-pox and come out via the nerves later in life, not a new infection.

My bad strp infection was when I was nine - am now 59 so 50 years ago.

MY EBV was elevated showing I did have EBV at one point as most people have. But no acute infection.

Guess I will have to do some further research to see if all linked.

Thanks.

Last edited by sunny47; 01-29-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
    FANNtasy3
    (female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

I myself have suffered with chronic sore throat since my early 20's. I am now 40. Was told it was probably from CFS more so than the FMS.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
    tweiler
    (female)

tweiler HB User

I had my 1st bout with strep last summer and the dr gave me a Z-pack for it. When the dr looked at my throat, she didn't even wait for the test results, she wrote me the Rx and said she would call when the test was done. My throat hurt so bad I oculd barely talk. Turned out I had strep so bad I had blisters inside my throat. I had been to the dr the day before due to a migraine and she said the migraine was most likely caused by the strep as well. I was hurting so bad I didn't eat anything except ice cream for 3 days. And even eating ice cream hurt.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
    Aberlaine9
    (female)

Aberlaine9 HB User

I've read that a sore throat is one of the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. CFIDS has more of its symptoms caused by viruses.

Nancy

Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
    FANNtasy3
    (female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

What I find perplexing is that even though I have FMS and CFS. The criteria of symptoms for FMS are the symptoms I have most of. Yes I have a litany of the ones of CFS, but they are also signs of FMS too. I feel the FMS is the more debilitating syndrome of the two and there is so much more attention given in the medical industry to CFS than to FMS.

The chronic sore throat, was one of the first things that had me worried there was something up, way back in my early 20's, along with the tiredness, chronic sinus/throat infections, fluey feelings, low grade fevers, on and off for long periods of time, (Flue and fevers I recall since childhood, along with this same reaction after inoculations (studied to maybe cause of FMS)) which are more characteristic to CFS. I did suffer what was dx as 'gastritis' boughts in my early 20's as well. (FMS) I was able to live, work, clean, bathe and function back then, but feeling like I was running on reduced health.

I was 25 when my son was born. Five months later, Lymes w/massive doses of all kinds of antibiotics. 3000 mg of amoxicillin a day for six months, then others, then bi-weekly shots of Bycillin and B-12, with no help. Compound that along with the massive amounts of antibiotics used yrs previous for sinus/throat stuff. Even remember more times than I can count, as a child getting penicillin shots in my butt 'cause I was sick so much, many times with strep but never had my tonsils out. I was 6 and younger when I was traumatized by those painful shots and remember them with life threatening emotions... remember them all too many times. In conclusion, I now believe I am resistant to a plethora of antibiotics. (something too, they feel may cause FMS)

After treating Lymes for 2 1/2 yrs., I can estimate I felt only 60-70% of full health. Could have also been feeling like that due to the 2 1/2 yrs. of nausea (FMS? CFS?) that started a few months after original treatment of antibiotic for Lymes. Was told I had a slight irritation to the lining of my stomach. After a battery of tests at Philly University Hosp. was told I was abused or stressed. (another possible cause of FMS) Dealt with the stresses and nausea was gone in a week.

I again was able to live, work, clean, bathe and function for a few years but only feeling at 60-70% full health. I had my daughter at 30. Seemed to feel the best I have ever felt in my life during both of my pregnancies.

Almost two yrs after my daughter was born, I became infected with Fifths Disease. A measles virus that everyone gets when they are between the ages of 3 and 15. Its called sometimes, "Slapped-cheek". Caused from the Human Parvo Virus B19. No it has no relation to the dog parvo virus. If you have never heard of it before, its probably because as long as you get it as a kid, its no big deal. Kids cheeks get red, they may get a splotchy rash on their torso and run a fever for three days and are done in a week. I got it at 32. As with any measles virus, getting them later in life can be life threatening.

For a while before my full blown attack with the Fifths Disease, I was feeling pretty crappy; much like I would always feel from the end of August to the end of June, and had discovered zinc to help me feel better. I had relied on zinc for my flue feelings on and off for about 3 months before going on a family vacation for Memorial day. I was feeling bad, but sucked on the zinc for the first few days of the trip and felt a little better. Didn't like the taste, didn't like how my tummy felt with them, but they seemed to help ease the achy, fluey feeling. After a few days there, I decided to at least be able to enjoy a meal without an upset stomach and discontinued the zinc for the rest of the trip. Each day I felt a little worse. By the time I did the drive home, I was so sick, when I got home I didn't even empty the car; I went right to bed... It was my birthday. Note: Fifths Disease is known to be active late spring, early summer and depending on the climate.

I can not recall the time frame that it took for me to become so sick that every gland on my body stuck out like a goose egg. I hurt so bad, any movement brought me to tears. I thought I had some aggressive cancer and I was dying. I went to the docs and had a bad sed rate reading and was sent to a rheumy who dx. the Fifths Disease. Bloodwork confirmed positive active parvo virus B19. I was out of work for two months. It took me that long to be able to even walk down a flight of stairs without leaning on the wall and sliding down ever so slowly, crying the whole way. Up wasn't as bad for some reason just don't know how I did either. Those two months I spent with these sharp stabbing pains in my bones and all over my body, exactly like the pains I have with fibro. I also had strange pains on the bottoms of my feet and up the backs of my calves with the Fifths. Other symptoms too, just cant recall them all.

Rheumy sent me back to work and I wasn't ready. He had told me to get blood checked for at least 8 yrs. because when an adult gets this kind of virus, it can take that long for your metabolism to clean it out of your body and while the left over vagabonds float freely through your blood, they can be mutated by attacks from white blood cells and other cells fighting with them which could then turn them into a whole-nother monster of an auto-immune disease. Note: Even though this is the same rheumy who when diagnosing me with fibro some 5 yrs later, denied telling me this. He also refused to help me get disability. His new partner I never saw before tried telling me I was crazy. Boy, this is all so typical. I do have a good rheumy now. He understands he listens and believes.

When I was released back to work from the Fifths Disease, I was feeling only 40-50% full health. I felt that way till the summer before my Fibro dx., Oct, 2003. I started sometime in May 2003 with what I believe was a sinus infection that I tried to let my body fight since: I had taken so many, so many don't work, and I just wanted my body to fight for itself for a change. After two weeks went to doc, 10 day antibiotics didn't touch it. My diabetic, kind of autistic aunt who I was caring for passed away on the fourth of July. Still sick, after 2nd round of meds, was now walking pneumonia. More antibiotics, still had walking pneumonia. By the end of the summer I was so sick. was feeling only around 40%. Had terrible flue feeling, stomach cramps, ended in the hospital with yet again...walking pneumonia. All the while was able to live some; work when I was able and not appreciated for my absenteeism, but that was never good anyway, just worse than ever; cleaning took a back burner though I tried; bathing became optional and function, was dysfunction.

Even the first yr. after fibro dx I lived some, worked, cleaned, and started to exercise again on my spin bike 5 days a week for 45 min. to an hour a day. Just to try again to be healthy. I think DHEA helped me feel better at that time, but was advised not to take it for too long because I didn't go through menopause yet. My side effect: facial hair?!? YUCK! Bathing was still optional, depending on the exhaustion. But the best I felt was 50%.

After eight weeks of spinning and weight bands and crunches and outdoor mountain biking along with elimination diets to help improve health, and increased water, I went on my spin bike the morning of April 12, 2004, and started my work out. Within 12 minutes my heart rate was so high and I hadn't even finished the warm up. My body was so exhausted, I got off the bike and went and took a 2 1/2 hr nap. Hadn't gone on it again. Six weeks later, Memorial Day Weekend, Aahh, another birthday, feeling only about 45%, I did a 25 mile bike-a-thon for MS along the Jersey coast that I had wanted to do since my early 20's. My husband and I lived at the shore and watched these bike-a-thons go by each year and I just always wanted to do that ride. I did it, I made it...with a migraine and feeling like hell. BUT I DID IT!!!!!

That summer I had my life more or less threatened at my place of work, which sent me into severe IBS and a fibro flare that lasted 2 yrs. Was told by legal council that I had nothing to go on since the man said, "If he ever came in with a gun," not, "when he comes in with a gun," what's the difference to me its still a terrorist threat. Not to mention, this man was supposed to be one of my supervisors. But hey, Im out on disability thanx to him. He didn't give me my illness, he just exacerbated it enough to make me sick enough to say, "Ive had enough." The place was abusive.

I spent two yrs feeling 20-40% with strange symptoms and just feeling like death. I don't even remember those yrs to well. Ive missed life, Ive worried my children and disappoint my husband, not like I give a rats behind about THAT one. LOL. If he cant understand, its not my fault. I cant feel guilty because Im not the mother he had or the wife he thinks I should be. I cant and if he cant accept that, he needs to make some sacrifices or make a decision.

(sorry folks, a bit long, have to use two posts.)

Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
    FANNtasy3
    (female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

I started feeling about 50% the beginning of last summer and it brings tears to my eyes to remember how grateful I was for only the 50% and how much I enjoyed even that 50%. I had the best summer in years. I slowly went through the fall, all the way to the beginning of this Feb slipping down to about 40%. We got a cold spell here the beginning of this month and my husband has been expecting too much from me lately then BINGO, Im doing 25%. I should write a book.

Anyway, I still have a sore throat, not always, but more than not. I get white crap on my tonsils, sorry to be gross... that I can squeeze puss out of like a pimple. Have had that most of my life. Post nasal drip with minimal dust and mold allergies and yadayada.

I believe in my heart of hearts its genetic. Auto-immune diseases are genetic. I believe the illnesses, (bacterial or viral) traumas and inoculations we receive throughout our lives are keys that open stands in our DNA for our bodies to respond to these issues.

For a normal healthy person who does not have the predisposed gene of an auto-immune disease, their bodies are working with an arsenal of strong and brave response systems that works to protect them like a flawless Marine Corp operation. Those of us who are predisposed, the keys that open our stands unleash the Tasmanian devil or instead of the Marine Corp to the rescue, we get F-Troop. LOL. confused, dumb, DNA.

This is what Ive come up with being my own arm chair physician. I read so much when I was first dx, then stopped. Started putting together my lifes history of illnesses. Many which I now call, "Pre-Syndrome Symptoms". I know I read a bunch of studies, but brain fog doesn't help to remember all the things I thought made perfect sense. Since the cause of these illnesses are all up to speculation, Im specualtin' that this could be an interesting observation.

And though my "Pre-Syndrome Symptoms" can be recalled well into my childhood, I must agree that CFS was the first actual condition suggested to me by someone that my symptoms were similar to. My approach to my own health care unfortunately brought me to walk in docs because of the convenience. I could go when I was sick, not wait for an appointment three days later. This approach I have concluded is a shot in the dark if you're looking for someone to know you and your health history without it being a 5000 piece puzzle still in the box. I recommend any adult over the age of 30 to get a primary doc, who is an internist. I think this mistake with my health care decisions, may have impeded my diagnosis. Not that finding out earlier would have prevented any of my suffering, but it would have given me validation sooner.

So, to me, my sore throat isn't caused from a virus, its my bodies inability to process the viruses, due to faulty genetics, and unfortunately the FMS symptoms that I believe hit me hardest later in life has been the root of all my evil, and boy, can I be evil, especially in a flare. LOL

Sorry AGAIN for the long read, just need to know there are folks out there who relate.

Feel well, Felicia

Closed Thread