It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Please help, does this sound like fibromyalgia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
    AngieBaby77
    (female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
    Please help, does this sound like fibromyalgia?

Hello everyone. I am at my wits end and totally miserable. I have been to doctors, hospitals...I have had test after test. Within the past several months, I have had a brain MRI, CT scan, EKG, chest X-ray, and all kinds of blood tests. If there was something obvious and serious I think one of the many docs would have found it. My problem is this:

I am 29 years old. I recently began feeling numbness, tingling, cold and burning sensations in hands, arms, legs and feet. Sometimes I think my hands and forearms have carpal tunnel. Now, my body hurts. My back feels achy and strained, as does my neck. I have a sore spot under my left breast area. When I take a deep breath or even sit my abdominals, chest and back feel tight. I basically ache all over and feel like crap.

On top of all this, I have fluid buildup in my ears although the doc says no ear infection. My ears feel full and clogged, my nasal passages are red and swollen, even a bit bloody on one side. I was just at the doc today and they told me to take Claritin. The tightness? They said it is hard to distinguish anxiety from other causes but that the lungs sound perfect.

I'm sorry, but I've had anxiety before and I have never ached like this. I am on 10 mg of Lexapro (for a month now). I have never been able to sleep well but now, it's even worse. In addition to my pre-Lexapro insomnia and night wakings I have horrible new night sweats from these meds (I know they are the cause, I've taken them before and got the sweats)

I am so desperate for help and feel like no one can or will. I feel like a hypochondriac but how can I be when I actually feel this physical discomfort?

Does the issue sound like fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome? I am at a loss and don't know what else it could be. I have basically put my family into debt from doctor and hospital bills, I am unisured. And it's gotten me basically nowhere. I need answers and don't know where to turn. Even as I type I feel burning in my neck and shoulders. BTW, the MRI showed no MS or any tumors or anything in the brain.

Thanks,

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
    FANNtasy3
    (female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
    Re: Please help, does this sound like fibromyalgia?

Have any of the docs suggested it is Fibro? I know I have a lot of the syptoms you have, but not all. You can have differant symptoms than someone else with fibro though, so its hard to say. I have a bunch of my own thank you.
    I myself feel my hands and forearms have carpal tunnel. Sometimes picking up an object sends shooting pains from my wrists up my arms. My body just hurts. "My back feels achy and strained, as does my neck." Especally at the computer. "I basically ache all over and feel like crap."
    Strange, I seem to always have fluid in my ears too. Never thought that could be a symptom, just caused from chronic sinus conjestion.
    I also feel fluey every day of my life from one degree to another.
    I hope that was some help.
    Feel well, Felicia

Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
    wonderingtoo
    Veteran
    (female)

wonderingtoo HB User

My symptoms are mostly different, but I've been through a ton of blood tests and to a lot of doctors for the last few months too. It sounds like your docs may be a little more thorough, as I have only had a CTscan of my abdominal area, but maybe it's because I have an HMO and you are paying for you tests. But I still don't have a diagnosis either. I just wanted to let you know, I know how you feel. I think the docs I've seen think I'm a hypochondriac too. And you know what, nothing like months of unexplained pain to make a person BECOME a hypochondriac!!!
    Why don't you ask to see a rheumatologist. I did, so now I'm just waiting for my apt. Meanwhile, the hypochondriac I've become has me convinced I have cancer. What a crappy way to live, huh!!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
    cantell
    (female)

cantell HB User

just a thought...I have read a lot of post from people who one day feels like a million bucks then slowly over time or in less than a month falls apart at the seams..pun intened...hehe..me encluded. I used to be... I am a go getter, I want it now! very competitive attitude, get er done, and a thinker type of person. I dont remember a time when I didnt feel tired or run down hurt all over.. I thought that was the way you are supposed to feel until it really got bad then I would go to doctor..they never could find anything wrong either. ran lots of test to tell me this..I stoped going for a very lonnnnnngggg time. just delt with it and got on with my life the best I could. when I hit 36 years old I could not for the life of me remember how old I was so i stayed 38 for 2 years...I missed 36 and 37 lol. didnt know why this happened just found it very frustrating..went to my gp he thought it was the start of RA sent me to a rumy and he said it MIGHT be RA and Fibro but wanted to get more blood and do more test on me..each appt with this guy was 2 months apart..and 45 min drive one way..forget that noise!!! then, this year I started writing down every thing that went wrong and hurt (EVERYTHING) no matter how big or small it seemed..I thought I was going insane..really scary there was so much of it I had thoughts of being a hypercondreact. (sp)? well by the time I finally could not take it no more and felt defeated I made an appointment with a internist GP. I took 2 long pages front and back with all my ailements and my short term memory loss to this doctor prepaired for the worst and, I was gonna camp out until somebody either fixed me or told me what the heck was wrong ya know give me a name? at least I would know what was and still kicking my butt and regroup on a battle plan. the nurse took my notes and when the doctor came in she poked on me ask some off the wall questions about pain and such and in 5 min told me it was for a fact Fibro. she spent another 30 min going over my list with me plus the why and how comes on ways to fight this diease. She then went on to tell me about medication she was priscribing for me. in short get a list together to take with you to the doctor that way you wont leave nothing out or forget to tell or ask the doctor about..it sure helped me. good luck hope you are feeling well soon

Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi angie,i just responded to your other post,made a few weeks back,but i didn't notice it was that old til of course after i responded.just wondering how things are going with everything?also,did they ever actually do a contrasted MRI on your c spine?this could possibly be an issue within the cord level itself.if you could update me on the neuropathy thread you started there,i would love to try and help you figuere this all out.been there done that ya know?Marcia

Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Angela:

Is your physician a rheumatologist? If you haven't seen a rheumy, now is the time to go. It's so hard when you don't have any insurance; I really feel for you! People who have FMS go through a lot of physicians before they are diagnosed properly. You are not a hypochondriac, so keep going until you have your answers. Do you have ANYONE who can advocate for you so that you can have moral support?

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Closed Thread