It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Trying to help others

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2000, 08:49 AM   #1
    maylon

maylon HB User
    Post Trying to help others

How sad it is for me to sit here and read posting from people crying, knowing what they are going through. Knowing I can tell them how to help themselves, yet also knowing that if I try I most likely will get kicked off this site as well as others I have tried to help people. I have had fibro for 15 yrs now and I am 95% medication free, I am in the process of writing books on self therapy and also setting up self therapy classes in a karate studio. I have medical endorsements for my therapy techniques. I only wish I could be with each person with fibromyalgia for two weeks, that is how long it would take a person to get their life back in order, for that is about how long it takes to rehydrate the fascia tissue. GOD bless each of you with this problem, I know the pains of fibro, Maylon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2000, 12:09 PM   #2
    Scooby
    Veteran

Scooby HB User
    I have tried nontraditional treatments and they have not worked for me.....lets see there were herbs, vitamins, extracts, messages, diets excluding acids, sugars, proteins, oh yes and the cold tablets(guafenessin).......if you have something new please share.....

------------------

~Luv, Scoobs~

~Luv, Scoobs~

Old 11-29-2000, 01:25 PM   #3
    maylon

maylon HB User
    Scooby I use exercises to relieve the pains, no special diets or anything. Learning of the fascia tissues would be your beginning. A good book on that is Job'S Body written by Deane Juhan, I was introduced to it by a massage therapist several months ago, I have been preaching fascia for over ten years. People must learn the difference between the fms & mps of fibromyalgia. Each needs to be treated differently, fms being the superficial fascia and the mps being the myofascial fascia. For the superficial fascia, stretches seem to be the answer, the myofascial tissue responds to pressure. Fibromyalgia is a result of the fascia tissue being damaged and dehydrating. When the dehydration sets in the fascia shrinks, welds and becomes harden. The first thing on the outside of a nerve is fascia tissue, so when the fascia tightens on a nerve you have pain, no nerves, no pain. When the fascia tissue is rehydrated whether it be by stretching or pressure, when the process is stopped it will continue rehydrating for about twenty minutes. After that time it will start to contract, depending on how much it has been rehydrated as how far it has to dehydrate to get back to the level it was before you started the rehydrating process. The dehydrating time is very painful as the fascia contracts around the nerves. This is why people with fibro hurt after they try exercising, also the reason a person must continue to exercise when this process starts. You cannot give the fascia tissue time to dehydrate, if you do you will have suffered for nothing. As you continue to rehydrate the fasica you will have longer periods of low pain periods, however exercising will become a large part of life for a person with fibro. If you have a particular problem, ask! I may be able to help you. However let it be known to all who read or ask, I have no medical background or knowledge of the anatomy other than what I have learned since the onslaught of fibromyalgia.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:26 PM   #4
    maylon

maylon HB User
    Scooby I use exercises to relieve the pains, no special diets or anything. Learning of the fascia tissues would be your beginning. A good book on that is Job'S Body written by Deane Juhan, I was introduced to it by a massage therapist several months ago, I have been preaching fascia for over ten years. People must learn the difference between the fms & mps of fibromyalgia. Each needs to be treated differently, fms being the superficial fascia and the mps being the myofascial fascia. For the superficial fascia, stretches seem to be the answer, the myofascial tissue responds to pressure. Fibromyalgia is a result of the fascia tissue being damaged and dehydrating. When the dehydration sets in the fascia shrinks, welds and becomes harden. The first thing on the outside of a nerve is fascia tissue, so when the fascia tightens on a nerve you have pain, no nerves, no pain. When the fascia tissue is rehydrated whether it be by stretching or pressure, when the process is stopped it will continue rehydrating for about twenty minutes. After that time it will start to contract, depending on how much it has been rehydrated as how far it has to dehydrate to get back to the level it was before you started the rehydrating process. The dehydrating time is very painful as the fascia contracts around the nerves. This is why people with fibro hurt after they try exercising, also the reason a person must continue to exercise when this process starts. You cannot give the fascia tissue time to dehydrate, if you do you will have suffered for nothing. As you continue to rehydrate the fasica you will have longer periods of low pain periods, however exercising will become a large part of life for a person with fibro. If you have a particular problem, ask! I may be able to help you. However let it be known to all who read or ask, I have no medical background or knowledge of the anatomy other than what I have learned since the onslaught of fibromyalgia, Maylon.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:35 PM   #5
    Elaine from Kentucky

Elaine from Kentucky HB User
    (1) What is the basis for this info? What type of research? Medical background? (2) I wish I could afford a massage.

Old 11-29-2000, 06:15 PM   #6
    maylon

maylon HB User
    Elaine, I posted that I had no medical training or knowledge. I read books about the anatomy and listened to my body. If doctors cannot tell you what is going on inside your body where are you going to find that information. Also, when a biopsy is done the fascia tissue shows to be normal, where or who can help. A well trained therapist may know of the fascia tissue, a person with fibromyalgia will know the pains of the fascia tissue. I have fibromyalgia, I could not button my shirt with severe pain, putting my shirt tail in was a major project and there was not any help. I had to learn what to do for myself. What better research is there? Maylon

Old 11-29-2000, 07:32 PM   #7
    Scooby
    Veteran

Scooby HB User
    A good place for me to start would be the plantar fascia. What would you suggest for that? After Physical Therapy and Ultrasound Treatments it is still an active plantar fasciitis and a very difficult area to stretch.

------------------

~Luv, Scoobs~

~Luv, Scoobs~

Old 11-30-2000, 07:23 AM   #8
    maylon

maylon HB User
    HI Scooby, planter fasiciitis is a hard one however if you check out the retinacular ligament in the ankle of the foot that is bothering you I think it will be painful, "ligamitis". My type of self therapy is somewhat like shiatsu, only a person does it to themself. Scooby, get on the floor on your hands and knees, now slowly sit on your heels, pointing your toes backwards. When you first do this you may want to pad under your knees. As you can shift your weight to each side making your ankles twist, remember to go slow until you get use to the movement. When you think you are ready, get a small wooden dowel, I would say about 1/4", maybe 3/8" but no larger. Place the dowel under your ankle and work up and down your ankle, take your time, do not rush. After you have done this all you want, stand on the dowel to press out the muscle spasms in the bottom of your foot. Do not get depressed if you do not release the muscles in your foot, there are a lot of tough muscles in the feet and the first time you work on a muscle it may not release at all but you will have set the ground work for the next time and I think then you will notice a slight difference. If you have time do this twice a day. With fibro we all must learn we will progress in millimeters. Scooby, not knowing anymore than you told me, that the planter muscle is the area you are having problems with, the hamstrings have an effect on the planter muscle also. For them you use a hard bottom chair and sit with something under your thighs, a broom handle may do, if not something slightly larger, a 1-1/4" dowel, you should find corded muscles, just trap them and let the pressure make them release, you may also notice your feet being warmer after this. Do not forget to stretch the calf muscles. Good luck, keep us posted, Maylon.

Old 11-30-2000, 08:27 AM   #9
    jpetsch
    Inactive

jpetsch HB User
    Angry

Elaine, you can afford a massage with very little effort. Find out where they certify people in your area to be massage therapists.
    They are not allowed to charge while in training, but can receive tips. They also enjoy taking on a challenge in class and are usually excited about using FM patients as a model to work with to improve students' skills. They are usually at small colleges and/or clinics specifically set up for certification of massage therapists. Take Care...John

Old 11-30-2000, 11:11 AM   #10
    Elaine from Kentucky

Elaine from Kentucky HB User
    John, Thank you for your thoughts. First of all, I was just asking questions, which is what I do since the cause of FM has not been established, and the cure certainly has not been. I read everything I can on the subject, researching every nook and cranny I can. But, since I am not an expert, I like to know where info comes from. I have a sarcastic sense of humor (i.e., the wish I could afford a massage), but truthfully it would take more than a "little effort" for me to afford a massage, physical therapy, visits to a chiropractor, accupuncture, etc., etc. since I just discontinued a med that was going to cost me $100 a month and I am trying to pay off over $2,000 in hospital bills (no insurance). So, I am sorry if I sounded a little snippy and I apologize to anyone I might have offended...honestly didn't mean to...

Closed Thread