It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2001, 11:33 AM   #1
    Tonja5

Tonja5 HB User
    Post Back Pain

Hello,
    I am new here. Diagnosed with FMS recently, after having more and more symptoms,making my family, doctors nad myseld wonder what was wrong with me. I have the muscle pain,and spasms, but it seemed like it started as back pain between my shoulder blades,and than progressed down my back, into my knees,and down my left arm ,elbow and hand pain.I also wondered why sometimes some areas would feel like a throbbing burning sensation,like on my ribs,and felt like burning when I touched it. Or my elbow started hurting when I bend my arm, and than when I touch it on the side, it feels like there should be a bruise but there isn't.
    I got a chest x-ray and a spinal done, and blood tests to rule out lupes or arthritis.Actualy one of the doctors diagnosed me right away with fibromyalgia, without checking any tender points.
    I did not really belief him.Because after my pain was wandering all over my body, and not sleeping at night, waking up every hour, and with total body pain and stiffness in the morning, depression, I wonder why now it seems like my joints or bones hurt.Is that normal with Fibromyalgia? I get a lot of pain in the back of my neck, and down the spine, across my tail bone.When I turn my head it makes cracking noises,(sorry,English is my second language).It is not really loud,but I only had it sopmetimes when I walk up the stairs ,in my knees. Now it is in my knees, when I bend them, my neck,shoulder blades and tail bone.I read a lot of people having neck pain, knee pain with Fibro, but nobody ever said that there bones or joints made cracking sounds.I apologize for my first messages being so long, lots of questions.By the way I am 36 years old and I take Amitryptyline to help me sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
    Allen
    Inactive

Allen HB User
    Dear Tonja: everything you described about your pain sounded like Fibro. From my own experience I learned how capricious the pain could be: on any given day, I never knew exactly what would hurt, only THAT I would hurt! Sometimes I ache, other times my muscles burn, sometimes a particular joint will bother me. Especially do I have neck and upper back pain(yes, my neck makes grinding noises when I turn it...there are stretching exercises you can do that help or applying heat). While Fibro is not at present curable, it can be treated. You may want to check out the website fmnetnews.com . Glad to have you part of a great group of people. Al

Old 02-09-2001, 03:34 PM   #3
    JASMINE

JASMINE HB User
    Hello,
    Fibro is so strange,and it can change all the time, one day you feel one thing and then the next it something else. It's very frustrating.

I have been trying to deal with this for about 5 years,all kinds of medications...be real careful and don't let them over medicate you. I took the same med you are on for a while and they just kept adding more and more, I put on about 50lbs over a couple of years and that made it harder to move and I was stiffer. If there are any support groups in your area they may be able to help you when it comes to finding a qualified Dr. because not all of them are.

Unfortunatley it has been my experience they all have different opinions and no one really knows that much about it.

Are you working? I think the more active you stay the better off you are..I'm fighting an uphill battle trying to find my way back to some sort of normallity. My insurance died and my meds were at about $800.00 a month. I've been off of everything except a patch for pain call Duragesic for about a month and the weight is dropping off fast but a lot of the discomfort has returned. I applied for disability 2x now and was turned down. I really think if I'd had better Drs over the years I'd be in better shape so be careful, this board is really great, made up of a lot of super people and it can really help get you through a bad day some times...
    Good Luck,
    jasmine

Old 02-09-2001, 04:23 PM   #4
    kattnap1

kattnap1 HB User
    Tonya, welcome to the boards. I too have cracking and popping joints. I have a herniated disk in my lower back from moving a couple years ago. They did an MRI last Jan and found it after 6 months of pain. They also discovered I have advanced degenerative disk disease, very advanced for my age of 40. My spine snaps and pops all the time especially in my lower back where the bad disk is. My neck has popped and cracked for years. The problems with the spine while they can be serious, if you do some simple strengthening exercises you can keep your muscles toned which helps your spine do it's job. As I have said in other posts, the best thing a FMer can do is keep active and don't let the FM take over. There are so many physical things you can do for yourself. I am finding myself limited because of my knees, so I got some 5 lb dumbells and have been working my upper body and especially the shoulders and upper back.
    Hang in there Tonya and welcome to the boards.

[This message has been edited by kattnap1 (edited 02-09-2001).]

Old 02-10-2001, 07:30 AM   #5
    gracieathome

gracieathome HB User
    Welcome Tonja, I also take Amitriptyline, may I suggest you see a Chiropractor? Mine has been a lifesaver as Fibro pulls your spine out of alighnment which causes more pain and when your nerves arent blocked your body is better able to heal itself. I used to be a doubter...bot it works!

Gracie

Old 02-10-2001, 05:19 PM   #6
    Tonja5

Tonja5 HB User
    Smile

Quote:
    Originally posted by kattnap1:
    Tonya, welcome to the boards. I too have cracking and popping joints. I have a herniated disk in my lower back from moving a couple years ago. They did an MRI last Jan and found it after 6 months of pain. They also discovered I have advanced degenerative disk disease, very advanced for my age of 40. My spine snaps and pops all the time especially in my lower back where the bad disk is. My neck has popped and cracked for years. The problems with the spine while they can be serious, if you do some simple strengthening exercises you can keep your muscles toned which helps your spine do it's job. As I have said in other posts, the best thing a FMer can do is keep active and don't let the FM take over. There are so many physical things you can do for yourself. I am finding myself limited because of my knees, so I got some 5 lb dumbells and have been working my upper body and especially the shoulders and upper back.
    Hang in there Tonya and welcome to the boards.

[This message has been edited by kattnap1 (edited 02-09-2001).]
    Thank you for advise and help.

Old 02-10-2001, 05:27 PM   #7
    Tonja5

Tonja5 HB User
    Thanks to everybody for the advise.Would they not see if my spine was out of alignment when they x-rayed my spine?I was just wondering.A chiropractor sound like a good idea.

Old 02-10-2001, 06:01 PM   #8
    cioc1212

Hi Tonja and welcome! You do sound a lot like the rest of us and one of the things that really made me pursue this with the doc was the popping and pain in my knees. I've had back problems for years and finally had an MRI which showed degenerative disk and some bulging. When my knee's went, I was sunk because you can't do ANYTHING with a bad back and bad knees!! Finally, I made a list of ALL my medical problems from head to toe, the rheumatologist took one look at my paper and asked if I knew what Fibromyalgia was.

I found that when I went to PT, I talked them into avoiding any knee strengthening exercises and continued to wrap and baby it. Then one day, the pain and popping JUMPED to my right knee (it was my left knee for almost a year) so then I knew it couldn't be an injury. It went back to my left knee a day or so later and I started exercising past the pain and started with a few of the knee exercises they had wanted me to do. Surprise! Knee's are great!! LOL!!

My doctor told me to make sure if I saw a chiropracter that the DID NOT crack me because that is too harsh for someone with FM. I had had my doubts about chiropractic but saw a doctor during my pregnancy when I was crippled with back pain and it really helped. It stopped helping after I had my baby so I stopped going. One thing to check out, some chiropracters offer massage and it gets billed to insurance and is covered if your plan covers chiropractic. Massage has been a GREAT pain reliever for me, my husband loves giving me massages, and the more practice, the better he gets!! It's fun too, you can give each other massages. The special massage oils are worth the investment(I got samples of a few different kinds on the online auctions very inexpensively), you can get them in very soothing scents and it helps you relax. A dark room,some candles,warm massage oil......you'll think you died and went to heaven!! If you can't tolerate a lot of rubbing you can start with a very light fingertip massage or just a foot massage and/or your temples. Ahhhhhhhh......... (I haven't tried a professional massage yet but I am scouting around for a chiropractic massage office). Ahhhhhhhh.........

Gosh, how did I get from bad knee's to massage?? Well, time to light some candles and ring the masseuse.....night all!

Old 02-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #9
    Corene

Corene HB User
    Talking

Welcome Tonja5! Keep checking out the "boards" for suggestions and information. The more informed we are the better "team" effort we can put in with our Dr. in regulating our own health care. I take 1000mg of flaxseed oil in the morning with food(capsule form). It has helped both the joint popping and my irritable bowel. Having said that--we each have our own opinion and it is good to reasearch what might or might not work for you. The flaxseed was an easy decision for me as I saw it work for a friend before I tried it. Also I try for a 20 min walk most days. I find repetitive movements(typing too long) aggrevate my symptoms, emotional stress can send me into a flare up. Each day is a new discovery on my own health and how to take care of me! Good luck and welcome!
    There is also good information at www. fibrohugs.com which I saw listed in one of the other posts here.
    Massage is awesome-I can only handle light and I too have a willing partner so we both benefit. It is a good time for talking about what is going on for us as sometimes I get to locked up in myself. I also use hot baths, lights out, candles, soft music when I am hurting all over and home alone.

Closed Thread