It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Are my symptoms consistent with fibro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
    NCLynn
    (female)

NCLynn HB User
    Are my symptoms consistent with fibro?

Hi,

I am in the process of finding out what is wrong with me. My neurologist is 95% sure it's MS, but my niece brought up the idea of fibro. I listed my symptoms below, so if anyone could give me feedback as to whether or not these are consistent with fibro I would certainly appreciate it.

*Fatigue
    *Extremities - tired/tingling/weak
    *Leg gives out
    *Ringing in ears
    *Body pain -sharp/stabbing
    *Back pain
    *Vision changes - seems like looking through thin film, gotten "darker" past few days, lost peripheral vision (having trouble reading computer monitor)
    *Short-term memory loss
    *Lips/tongue/throat numbness
    *Get tired of chewing food
    *Difficulty swallowing
    *Headaches
    *Bright light -squint to watch TV
    *Problem with fine motor skills - am slowly losing use of hands
    *Feeling hot one minute, then freezing the next, then back to hot again
    *Arms and legs get extremely tired/weak when using them
    *Incoordination/dropping things
    *Tripping/walking into things
    *"Noise" in neck when turning from side-to-side
    *Pain feels like "bee stings"
    ******ing - feel sore and "bruised" after scratching
    *Occasionally see flashes of light
    *All over body aches
    *Seems like more frequent urination. Already have GERD, so usually have diarrhea after first meal of day
    *When driving and have foot on brake, start to drift because can't tell that foot has let off brake slightly
    *Trouble typing (transpose letters) even though I have been a professional typist for over 13 years
    *At times seeing things that aren't there

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make sure I listed everything.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, blessed and safe holiday weekend.

Thanks!

Lynn

Last edited by NCLynn; 09-01-2007 at 06:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
    Re: Are my symptoms consistent with fibro?

Hi, fibro is different for everyone, but it seems to me that a lot of symptoms you list are more consistent with MS, but I am no doctor and really don't know a lot about MS. I haven't seen anyone list a lot of your symptoms for Fibro.

I think if you ask Blulakelady, she might have some better answers for you, she seems to know more about it than most of us. Good luck and I hope you find an answer and get to feeling better soon.

Sunny

Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
    NCLynn
    (female)

NCLynn HB User

Hi Sunny,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I really do appreciate it. I have a gut feeling that I have MS, but am trying to rule everything else out.

Hugs,

Lynn

Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
    headpain05
    (female)

headpain05 HB User

I have a dear friend with MS and I tend to agree, that your list seems more like MS than Fibro. However, some of the traits work for both. It is definitely better to be cautious when getting a diagnosis because a mis-diagnosis can set you back for years. Another thing that struck me with your list was the amount of symptoms that seem to be TMJ (tempro mandibular joint). Something to look into as well just to be on the safe side.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
    moonbeam24
    (female)

moonbeam24 HB User

Lynn,

When I read your post so many of those symptoms sounded like mine. I'm a little bit paranoid that I may have MS. Can you tell me more about your legs giving out? The other night I got out of bed, took a few steps and my legs just completely fell out underneath me for no reason--has this ever happened to you? I don't have numbness of the mouth, vision problems (I don't think) or trouble swallowing, but I do have many of the other symptoms you have described. Please keep me updated on your follow up.
    Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NCLynn View Post
    Hi,

I am in the process of finding out what is wrong with me. My neurologist is 95% sure it's MS, but my niece brought up the idea of fibro. I listed my symptoms below, so if anyone could give me feedback as to whether or not these are consistent with fibro I would certainly appreciate it.

*Fatigue
    *Extremities - tired/tingling/weak
    *Leg gives out
    *Ringing in ears
    *Body pain -sharp/stabbing
    *Back pain
    *Vision changes - seems like looking through thin film, gotten "darker" past few days, lost peripheral vision (having trouble reading computer monitor)
    *Short-term memory loss
    *Lips/tongue/throat numbness
    *Get tired of chewing food
    *Difficulty swallowing
    *Headaches
    *Bright light -squint to watch TV
    *Problem with fine motor skills - am slowly losing use of hands
    *Feeling hot one minute, then freezing the next, then back to hot again
    *Arms and legs get extremely tired/weak when using them
    *Incoordination/dropping things
    *Tripping/walking into things
    *"Noise" in neck when turning from side-to-side
    *Pain feels like "bee stings"
    ******ing - feel sore and "bruised" after scratching
    *Occasionally see flashes of light
    *All over body aches
    *Seems like more frequent urination. Already have GERD, so usually have diarrhea after first meal of day
    *When driving and have foot on brake, start to drift because can't tell that foot has let off brake slightly
    *Trouble typing (transpose letters) even though I have been a professional typist for over 13 years
    *At times seeing things that aren't there

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make sure I listed everything.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, blessed and safe holiday weekend.

Thanks!

Lynn

Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
    NCLynn
    (female)

NCLynn HB User

My legs only buckle occasionally, but thankfully I have never fallen. I'm walking into corners of walls more often now, as I seem to misjudge the distance. I go to move or kick something and end up kicking the corner of the wall instead.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
    tawnyjade
    (female)

tawnyjade HB User

Wow, Lynn, you sound just like me! I have all your symptoms. Do you have trouble talking when you are feeling especially bad? I know I sound drunk and have trouble getting the right words to come out of my mouth.
    They keep testing for MS and it is negative.
    Look up ME/CFS on the internet and see what you think. Can you identify?
    Let me know what you think.
    Take care,
    Tawny

Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Lynn~ We are both bouncing around together trying to find an answer. I have alot of the same symptoms as you and am on my voyage looking for answers too. I don't have an appointment until november with a neuro and the wait is just so frustrating!! My symptoms, just like yours seem to be pointing to MS. But when you read the other boards and symptoms, you can see the similarities. I have been reading your posts and my heart goes out to you. You know when somethings not right. Keep searching for your answers and be persistant till you find them!! My thoughts are with you as we both are in limbo!! ~ cindy

Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
    moonbeam24
    (female)

moonbeam24 HB User

I can relate to walking into walls and corners. It is so frustrating, but most of all it is painful always walking into corners and doorways. The worst of it for me is that with FMS there are so many tender points--I also have myofascial issues, so of course, when I hit a corner or bump my arm into the doorway frame it hurts like heck! It is also kinda embarrassing too. When I'm out in public with friends and am constantly bumping into doorways and walls and such....it is hard to explain. "No I'm not a clutz, it is really part of this weird syndrome!"

Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
    snoozyowl
    (female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hiya All, I can relate to your list, ain't it a bugger!! I was dx in Feb 2007, by a rheumy for fibro, the neuro, however says there isn't 'enough clinical evidence for a firm dx of MS' although my doc says that I most probabley do have MS to a certain degree. The MS boards are very helpful for comparing symptoms. These two conditions can run alongside each other as well, just to make life a tad more interesting Hang on in there, all of you who are in limbo, my warmest thoughts and wishes are with you, take care, try to keep as well as you can, hugs Snoozyowlxx

Closed Thread