It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• "Tens Unit" Nerve stimulator

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2002, 01:20 AM   #1
    skeeter316

skeeter316 HB User
    Lightbulb "Tens Unit" Nerve stimulator

Hello! I am new to the boards. I have learned alot from the postings.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried using a "Tens Unit"? Its a nerve stimulator. Basicly, current from a 9 volt battery is applied to a muscle area with great pain. The brain cant read two types of pain at once. So this sort of fakes the brain a bit and cancels some of the pain! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
    I have alot of nerve pain. I take 40 mg. of Oxycontin a day (Its a morphin derivative). My pain Management doctor started me with the Tens Unit last week. I slept great for two nights in a roll!!!!
    I normaly sleep 1 or 2 hours at a time. I wake up alot due to pain and restless leg.
    I really feel better with this unit. It doesnt cure the pain. But it does help control it!
    I just wanted to share that. I wish you all well.
    God Bless,
    Skeeter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2002, 03:09 AM   #2
    dgrams949

dgrams949 HB User
    Smile

I HAVE HAD A TENS UNIT NOW FOR OVER A YEAR AND IT HAS HELPED ME WHEN IN VERY SEVERE PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK. THIS DOES FOOL THE BRAIN AND IN SOME WAYS IT HELPS TO LOWER THE PAIN. IT WILL NOT GET RID OF ALL THE PAIN BUT I DO NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. I USE IT ON REAL BAD DAYS WHEN I CAN NOT STAND THE PAIN ANY LONGER. I USE THREE DIFFERENT PAIN MEDICATIONS AND A MUSCLE RELAXER PLUS ANOTHER PILL TO HELP ME SLEEP. I COULD NOT REST AT ALL IF I DID NOT TAKE SOMETHING FOR THE PAIN. I AM WAITING TO HEAR IF A BACK OPERATION IS GOING TO BE DONE. THAT I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO. THE TENS UNIT IS OF HELP BUT NOT THE CURE. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU WITH YOUR UNIT HOPE YOU WILL GET SOME RELIEF. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif DGRAMS949

Old 03-13-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    The 'tens unit' has been on the market at least 30 years and use to be the 'in thing' for pain control I guess. I have never used one and I am curious how this works on Fibro with so much of the body hurting. Does this work only while you wear it? Do you have like some type of device that hooks to the body to deliver the stimulation? Is it comfortable? Would like to hear more of how this whole thing works...is it covered by insurance?

Old 03-13-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
    korken
    Inactive

korken HB User
    Smile

Ann,

Gary had one a few years back. It was covered by our insurace. It gave him some relief for a while and is easy to use. It has sticky pads that you put on different areas. It has different levels of pulsation and contraction strength. It ended up not doing much for him but our 18 year old finds that it helps him a bit. Just don't over do. It works on the musles as exersise does. But, faster and with the ability do over do.

Remember what works for one may be different for another and diferent levels.

------------------
    Take care ~Kim & Gary~

Old 03-13-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
    sujenke

sujenke HB User
    I have no idea what this machine is, but it sounds alot like the abdomen-exercisers that they keep showing on TV commercials - you stick the electrodes on your belly and it causes muscle contractions! Is that similar to what this machine does?

Susan

Old 03-13-2002, 08:25 PM   #6
    korken
    Inactive

korken HB User
    Thumbs up

Susan, That's a yes!

------------------
    Take care ~Kim & Gary~

Old 03-14-2002, 07:58 PM   #7
    skeeter316

skeeter316 HB User
    Hi again!
    The unit I have was covered by medicare. I do have to buy my own pads though. It is very small. The device runs on a 9 volt battery. The unit fits on your pants or waist band like a pager. (It a bit larger than most pagers but not much)
    The electrodes are conected to sticky pads that you place on the very sore muscle. (You can use 4 pads at once)
    I use it on the back of my neck and shoulder muscles. I normaly wear it while I am doing my daily routine. It helps me not have the pain so much in that area as bad.
    I did use it last week on a muscle cramp in my thigh. For that, I put it on a higher setting just long enough to release the cramp.
    The settings range from 2 to 10. I normaly set mine on 2 or 3.
    I dont know if its like those ab stimulators or not. I havent tried them.
    But it has helped me. I still take oxycontin for pain. This is just something we are trying so I can cut down on the morphin if possible.
    Like Kim said above, it varies from person to person.
    Hope I helped.
    Skeeter

Old 03-15-2002, 11:08 PM   #8
    cadwellm

cadwellm HB User
    A TENS unit can do the about the same thing as what you see in commercials.

When you use a TENS to help with pain you only want to turn it high enough to help remove the pain, to relax the muscle. If you turn it up too high the TENS will painfully contract the muscle, the opposite of why you have it in the first place.

-Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised. (Hebrews 10:23)

-The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

-No one can go back and make a brand new start. But anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
    Copper
    Inactive

Copper HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by cadwellm:
    A TENS unit can do the about the same thing as what you see in commercials.
    I was thinking about trying my tens as advertised, but am a bit concerned. I remember hearing sometime back that the ones from tv use a different frequency than a tens. It makes sense if you think about the different trans-cutaneous machines out there, ie. ultra sound, etc.

So, I'm wondering if using a tens that way may cause damage to sensitive abdominal organs? my daughter says I think too much

------------------
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 03-18-2002, 06:38 PM   #10
    dgrams949

dgrams949 HB User
    Talking

I NOTICED THAT SOMEONE ON HERE SAID THEY HAD TO PAY FOR PADS FOR THE TENS UNIT. WELL MEDICARE COVERS THE PACKET FROM THE COMPANY. THEY WILL ALSO COVER THE COST OF THE BATTERIES. THEY PAY FOR MINE EVER SEVERAL MONTHS WHEN I GET THEM. CALL COMPANY 1-800 NUMBER AND THEY WILL HELP GET YOU SET UP FOR MEDICARE HELP WITH THEIR LEADS-LOTION-PADS-BATTERIES. THE DOCTOR HAS TO SEND BACK IN FORM ALSO THEY CAN FAX IT I THINK. ALSO SECOND INSURANCE WILL PAY THEIR PART ALSO. I KNOW BECAUSE THEY PAY FOR MINE. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO USES THIS UNIT.
    DGRAMS

[This message has been edited by dgrams949 (edited 03-18-2002).]

Old 03-21-2002, 07:35 PM   #11
    cadwellm

cadwellm HB User
    There are dual and single TENS. The dual works on two spots, the single on only one. So you want the dual one for the most help at one time.

The stimulators you see on TV are exactly the same as TENS. The TV units are made to contract the muscles whereas TENS units are made to relax them, unless you turn them up too far and then they painfully contract the already sore muscle.

Good TENS units have a timer, the ability to change the pulse, and the strength of the pulse so watch out what you buy. Some are only basic, without any ability to change the strength, and it may be too strong or too weak depending on the pain.

In the USA you have to have a prescription to get a unit. If you can do this then medical insurance will often pay for it, depending on the insurance.

My doctors refused to give me an Rx for one so I found a website that would sell me one. Can't remember which one it is now though, been awhile. Think it came from the UK though.

-Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised. (Hebrews 10:23)

-The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

-No one can go back and make a brand new start. But anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Old 03-22-2002, 07:47 AM   #12
    cioc1212

Had one, it didn't help me very much at the time. Must have been 10 years ago. But I found the pinging sensations very uncomfortable so I don't think I was using it like I should have been.

Closed Thread