It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Requip experience?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2003, 02:22 PM   #1
    la_brat
    (female)

la_brat HB User
    Post Requip experience?

Our youngest daughter has just started taking Requip (ropinirole hydrochloride). It is a dopamine agonist. Anyone else on or were on this medication? What has been the experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User
    La brat,

was she given this for fibro??

I just looked it up and it said it was for parkinsons disease, for tremors. Did she get a diagnosis for fibro? What exactly were her symptoms, of course im no doctor, but just curious as to why they would prescribe this for fibro. I dont think ive heard of it being given for fibro before, i might be wrong of course.

Jen

Old 06-22-2003, 08:23 AM   #3
    la_brat
    (female)

la_brat HB User
    Requip is a parkinson's medication as is mirapex. A doctor in Renton Washington has used mirapex with some success on fibro patients and is now using Requip with some good results. His name is Andrew Holman and he is a rheumy who presents papers at almost every rheumy confab on his studies which are all self-funded, by the way. The daughter has seen him once and the doctor keeps in touch with our rheumy who was one of his professors and his mentor in the past. Now it is the other way around.

What Requip is supposed to do is help relieve tremors by effecting the pathways in the nervous system. Dr. Holman believes that these pathways are what causes the pain, trembling, fatigue, ect. in fibro. He hopes that the medication will relieve the over-reaction that a fibro body has to stimulous and make it more normal in its response. We can only hope that this is true to even a small degree. As is often said here, all things do not work for all people.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
    la_brat
    (female)

la_brat HB User
    Forgot to add that we don't have much hope of anyone having experience with Requip unless they are in the Seattle area or here in Idaho. This is very new as a fibro treatment.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User
    La brat,

AHHH that makes sense. It is the first time ive heard of them using that med for fibro. But, when you think theyre also using guaifenisn (which im on) for fibro, nothing should surprise me i guess.

I hope you get responces from people who have used the drug before. I pray that it works for your daughter hon.

Love and hugs,
    Jen

Old 07-06-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
    jkacope

jkacope HB User
    my rhumy has me on mirapex and had to cut it back due to stomache problems.tomorrow he is starting me on requip along with the mirapex. has your daughter had good results with this drug?i'd be thankful for any info you could pass along.
    thanks

kathy

Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
    luisiza

luisiza HB User
    Re: Requip experience?

How has your experience been with Dr. Holman? Luis

Old 09-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
    la_brat
    (female)

la_brat HB User

Our daughter saw Dr. Holman just once. He was very kind, informative, and patient when being questioned. He then collabrated with our daughter's regular doctor for the follow through treatment. Inspite of all the things we have tried, the magic bullet has eluded us. It seems with all the dopamine products on the market none of them work for our youngest (in fact there has been very little that has helped). The older of our daughters find that Requip helps the pain in her hands and that Provigil (for narcolepsy) helps with her extreme fatigue during the day.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
    stick2013
    Inactive
    (female)

stick2013 HB User

Jenetti,

Just to let you know that I was on Humabid LA (pill form of Guaifensen) it worked wonders for me, but ......... Just like all the good stuff, they stopped making it. Funny how a drug that is used as a cough expecterant can be used for fibro. I can't get the liquid form down. YUCK!!!!!!!

La brat,

Hope this drug works for your daughter. Any drug that can help ease the pain is worth a try.

Good luck

Wendy

Old 09-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Labrat
    My neurologist prescribed me Requip and I began taking this med, July 22nd. He had prescribed this med for my tremors, although I also have Fibro. Unfortunately, it has not helped my tremors or fibro for that matter. My prescribed dose is 10 mg two times a day. I am thinking that perhaps I might need my dosage increased, and will discuss this with my neurologist at my next visit. I do pray that your daughter does find relief from this medication. Wishing her all the best.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy Scheduled - September 12, 2005

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi,

I saw a little blurb on our local news a while back that said that some docs were considering giving a medication meant for Parkinson's to FM patients. It wasn't the Requip, and I wrote it down but can't find it now ( I KNOW it's here somewhere amoung my mountain of little sticky notes!). I "think" it began with a "P", not sure. But it's interesting now to see that docs are looking at meds that help Parkinson's as a possible help to FM symptoms. Hey, I'll take anything if it works!

Have a good day everyone, and labrat, it's good to see you popping in. I hope you and your girls are getting along good.

Love,
    tk

Closed Thread