It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Lidocaine Patches- Lidoderm. Does anyone use them?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2003, 06:32 AM   #1
    Ravenspurr

Ravenspurr HB User
    Post Lidocaine Patches- Lidoderm. Does anyone use them?

Hi All, this is Raven, My DR. has given me Lidocaine Patches to help with some of my Pain( Mainly in my hip and back). They help some with medication too but I was wondering if others got relief from them and the big question is: How to keep them on? They seem to peel down and then stick to my pants of shirt. I have been using Sports tape and boy does that hurt to get off on my sensitive Fibro skin but it keeps it on better. I just can't stand the pain it causes to get the tape off. I hold my breath and scream when someone takes it off. Any sugestions? Raven

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
    poohsldy

poohsldy HB User
    Hi, I use Lidocaine patches and I have to say they're a blessing when the pain is unbearable. Also like you I have a problem with keeping them on and when using tape your right it hurts like heck taking the tape off. I have been giving it alot of thought and the only thing I can think of that might help keep the edges from rolling and not having to use tape is maybe to use an ace bandage. Unfortunately it would have to wrap around the entire body, arm, leg etc. but might be well worth the try to avoid going through the pain of using tape.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
    SHEILA MARIE

SHEILA MARIE HB User
    Cool

i use these patches and they are a blessing to me on days that are really bad. what i do is instead of putting them on my body in the square shap. i cut them into oval patches. this way there is no sharp corners to get caught on my clothes. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

[This message has been edited by SHEILA MARIE (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
    Mara

I used the one that contains Menthol, Camphor and Eucalyptus and another that contains 5% Menthol with other inactive ingredients; ...eucalyptus oil, chondroitin, glucosamine etc. I found the Menthol helped so I bought the blue gel that had 2% Menthol. The patch delivered steady relief.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
    Ravenspurr

Ravenspurr HB User
    Gemi,
    I only wish those type of patches worked for me. The Lidoderm patches are a RX and I called the company and they really didn't help much because they said that using them for Fibro are off label and he couldn't discuss anything with a Patient when it is off label. But my DR can call and they will talk to her. I am trying all the other tips mentioned above but I am not sure they will work either since even if I cut them in half they still roll down, tape or no tape. I was told by another that there is a clear dressing called Tegaderm that we can put over them so I am asking the Pharmacy today. Wish me luck!!!! Raven

Old 08-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
    Charlie Weaver

Charlie Weaver HB User
    Cool

I've been using the lidocaine patches since 2000. I love them because I can control the area that I want to treat. I've used different types of tape and some of them work and some of them are hard to remove or leave red marks where the tape was. I am now using the tape for people that are allergic to tape. It seems to work for me. There are days that I still have to use celebrex, but the patches can be used where you might have more pain in one part of the body. I haven't had to use more than one or two whole patches at the same time. Those are on the days that I can't even stand to have a breeze blowing on me without feeling some kind of pain. That might be an exageration, but you get the point. I wouldn't trade my patches for all the money in the world. They haven't been on the market all that long. My doctor told me that it was invented by a doctor whose wife was in severe pain. He would give her injections, but they were very effective after a while. He supposedly just put the lidocaine on a gauze pad and applied it to her body and that helped her so he went a couple of steps further and came up with the lidocaine patch. He's got my vote until something better comes along.

The one thing that I do to eliminate the difference in room temperature and body temperature is to put it under a heating pad on low for just a couple of minutes. That is a lot better than the blasted cold on your body. If I come up with a way to get it off easier I will be sure to post here--LOL.

Charlie Weaver

Old 08-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
    Mara

Raven,
    I wish I could help. I used those patches on the neck when the arm was slinged for the shoulder (bursitis and tendonitis flare). The cooling affect was helpful although it did not relieve the pain. I called pcp and took Hydrocodone (prior to er) that did nothing, then to er where doc prescribed diclofenac and they gave me a shot(some antiinflammatory)a tetnas shot. It was agony. Nobody issued stool softner-Ill stop there...I had thought to use patches once, then said to myself,would need too many...Not enough to go around when flaring. I tried that topical creame it made my skin burn and red...I guess it's trial and error.
    edited to include: it gave steady cooling relief (a good distractor)

Good luck and feel better !!!

[This message has been edited by Gemi (edited 08-30-2003).]

Old 08-30-2003, 08:11 PM   #8
    Ravenspurr

Ravenspurr HB User
    Hi Gemi and Everyone,
    I take so much meds its crazy. My oral meds include Percocet, Soma, Xanax, Trazadone, Ambien, Lexapro, and then over the counter creams for pain( one caused the reddness and extreme burning of the skin to where I had to stop It was the Capzasin* HP but I can use Icy Hot and some of the others but they do not help much when in a flare. I get very severe spasms too which the creams do nothing for hence why I was given Soma but I do not like being a walking Medicine chest( if you know what I mean?) and now I use the Lidoderm patches up to three a day yet I try not to use that many and not everyday. We can wear them 12 hours and then wait 12 hours and re-apply if needed. I just refilled my RX so I have been using them for a month now. I didn't have any luck finding something to keep the darn things on good. I've cut the corners, trimmed the whole patch, cut them in strips and have used every tape on the market and yet they still roll down or the tape sticks to my clothes and takes the patch off( there are no good on my clothes). Oh well unless I stay in my PJ's all day and not move I am out of luck until something is found. Also the Tegaderm clear bandages were not only too small but $18.00 for one! Yikes! Thanks for the input and I'll keep everyone posted if I find something to keep them on. Hugs Raven

Old 10-04-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
    neck&back

I have not used the lidocaine patches, but use a topical called BioFreeze. It is similar to the IcyHot, but I find it gives more relief and probably longer. It has some herbs in it and got started using it when my nurse practioner at the pain clinic recommended it and then found it was also what my PT was using in conjunction with ultrasound. You may have to locate a medical supplier in your area, as it is not commonly found in all pharmacies. It is also available on the internet. I do not know what I would have done without it some days these last 4 years.It is tingly and cold right after putting it on, then just warm and reduces the muscle pain. It helps keep me from having to take so much pain meds and I can use it and go ahead and drive without worry of drugs affecting me.

Old 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
    debabc

debabc HB User
    I haven't used the lidocaine patches (never heard of them 'til now), but you might try a product called mole skin that has a very strong glue intended to wear on your feet, to pad areas to prevent blisters. Also, there is a new type of bandaid that has especially strong adhesive. Sorry I can't think of the name of it, but it is advertised as stronger on the label.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:55 AM   #11
    Fibro_Mar
    Inactive

Fibro_Mar HB User
    I use the Lidoderm patches, I wait until bedtime to put them on. Not as much movement to "undo" them. I usually sleep at least 10 hrs (of course I wake up a zillion times, but I usually just click the tv on and watch until I get sleepy againg). This method has worked best for me; and the best part is that you get to start the day off with the pain somewhat relieved!

Also when I have more than 3 areas of pain (doc told me to use no more than 3 at a time) I cut the patches into several pieces to cover the painful spots. HOpe this helps some.

------------------
    Love and blessings
    Mar

Closed Thread