It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
    blazinred
    (female)

blazinred HB User
    which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
    aphrodite62782
    (female)

aphrodite62782 HB User
    Re: which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

Mine did but it really didn't work for me. It just numbed me to the pain and made me kinda loopy. I got addicted really easily and had to stop taking it because it was really affecting me worse when I didn't have it (due to the addiction). Now I am off of it and only take it once in a great while for other medical problems I have.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
    blazinred
    (female)

blazinred HB User

thnak you for the input.
    i am sorry you didnt find this med tohelp you with the pain. i am srroy that it works for my oain though, because it is near impossible to get a prescription for. dang scammers and abusers! make my lise harder than it has to be!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I take Tramadol and Vicodin. I think Tramadol works better for Fibro

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
    aphrodite62782
    (female)

aphrodite62782 HB User

Yeah that is what I have pretty much concluded. That with a disease like Fibro it is hard to find a specific med that works for it so the companies that are making the "pain killers" are making a killing off of us. It sucks but I guess that is the way life goes sometimes.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
    jlynn36
    (female)

jlynn36 HB User
    Angry Re: which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazinred View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. I cannot find a doc who will prescribe pain meds like vicodin (which I KNOW works because I have taken them for it before while I had some for an injury that I suffered). The doc's here in Minnesota have all fed me the same BS about how they don't work and they won't Rx them because they don't feel comfortable with that idea. Well I don't feel at all comfortable with the amount of pain that I am in sometimes and would love something stronger than Excedrin Back and Body for the pain.
    Jlynn36

Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
    catspajamas
    (female)

catspajamas HB User

Are you taking something before bedtime like amitriptiline for restorative sleep...that is most important with fibro...its when you don't get that rest that your muscles get stiff and sore...I know cause I have had fibro most of my 68 years . That med lessens the need for stronger ones with narcotics in them...Tylenol is all I need if I ache in the daytime....gentle exercise is a must...walk around the block...join a arthritus exercise class if there is one near you...walk in a swim pool...don't just sit and lay..it makes it worse...Hope you get relief you need but don't be too quick to ask for narcotics when you see a dr...they think right away..." oh oh. one of them"

Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
    catspajamas
    (female)

catspajamas HB User

don't want to post 2 in a row but I forgot something....Lyrica has just been approved for Fibro and nerve pain....run that by your doctor....its a miracle for some.......but quite expensive...( I take that now)

Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlynn36 View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. I cannot find a doc who will prescribe pain meds like vicodin (which I KNOW works because I have taken them for it before while I had some for an injury that I suffered). The doc's here in Minnesota have all fed me the same BS about how they don't work and they won't Rx them because they don't feel comfortable with that idea. Well I don't feel at all comfortable with the amount of pain that I am in sometimes and would love something stronger than Excedrin Back and Body for the pain.
    Jlynn36
    I take Tramadol. It works almost as well as Vicodin for me. Docs usually don't have a problem giving that out since it is not a narcotic. But the makers of it claim it is a synthetic narcotic. All I know it works for me.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I use to take Tramadol....but it did nothing, asprin worked better! I'm on Vicodin ES ........ now Im able to function! Everyone responds differently to different meds.

I had to go to a Pain management Dr. He is getting weird though, don't think he wants me to stay on Vicodin...but thats the only thing that works! Everything else he wants me on I can get from my normal Dr.

Pain management is to be the place where they can give you the meds that your regular Dr cannot.

Hope

Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hope4All View Post
    I use to take Tramadol....but it did nothing, asprin worked better! I'm on Vicodin ES ........ now Im able to function! Everyone responds differently to different meds.

I had to go to a Pain management Dr. He is getting weird though, don't think he wants me to stay on Vicodin...but thats the only thing that works! Everything else he wants me on I can get from my normal Dr.

Pain management is to be the place where they can give you the meds that your regular Dr cannot.

Hope
    Someone else told me that Tramadol did nothing for them. That is strange because I know two other people who claim they couldn't get by without it. I am getting immuned to it after taking it for 3 years. I do switch of every so often when I get Vicodin. But Vicodin doesn't work for me all that well. I never understood how someone can get addicted to it. But like you said, everyone's body responds differently to meds. Pain management clinics seem like a scam sometimes. A friend of mine had Lupus and went to several pain clinics. It seems all they do is charge a huge fee to prescribe you drugs.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
    HurtinHouston
    (female)

HurtinHouston HB User

I've taken tramadol, vicoden, darvocet, and stronger...

The tramadol usually works okay on the pain, but the side effects aren't good for me... I've had very strange reactions like tremor, tennitus and other stuff that's not been good.

I can flush the vicoden and darvocet more quickly from my system, I just can't function as well on them...drive, read, think, etc.

I'm seeing my PM doc soon to discuss alternatives.

Here's to wellness

Houston

Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rstarre View Post
    Someone else told me that Tramadol did nothing for them. That is strange because I know two other people who claim they couldn't get by without it. I am getting immuned to it after taking it for 3 years. I do switch of every so often when I get Vicodin. But Vicodin doesn't work for me all that well. I never understood how someone can get addicted to it. But like you said, everyone's body responds differently to meds. Pain management clinics seem like a scam sometimes. A friend of mine had Lupus and went to several pain clinics. It seems all they do is charge a huge fee to prescribe you drugs.
    I'm totally not understanding my Pain management Dr........seems like for many of the patients there he does nothing for them! He gives them Tramadol and they tell me they do zero....but the Pain management Dr won't give them anything stronger! But umm isnt that why people go to them, to get the medication that there regular dr cannot prescribe??

My pain management Dr doesn't have a clue to what he's doing. Half the time he doesn't even have my file! Then the last time he didn't believe me, he said he wouldn't have put me on Vicodin ES.......but I've been on it for months! He finally pulled out his little lap top and found that he actually has been prescribing them to me!

This worries me!!!!!!!!! Its not a good sign when he's questioning his own medical plan for me!

I really wish Tramadol worked on me ... I REALLY DO.......then I wouldn't have to go to this nut job!

Hope

Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I always thought Pain Management places are nothing but a scam. hell, dentists give out Vicodin all the time. Why can't they? What does anyone have to pay a Pain doctor a 100 bucks a visit when a regular doctor will give you Tramadol.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hope4All View Post
    I'm totally not understanding my Pain management Dr........seems like for many of the patients there he does nothing for them! He gives them Tramadol and they tell me they do zero....but the Pain management Dr won't give them anything stronger! But umm isnt that why people go to them, to get the medication that there regular dr cannot prescribe??

My pain management Dr doesn't have a clue to what he's doing. Half the time he doesn't even have my file! Then the last time he didn't believe me, he said he wouldn't have put me on Vicodin ES.......but I've been on it for months! He finally pulled out his little lap top and found that he actually has been prescribing them to me!

This worries me!!!!!!!!! Its not a good sign when he's questioning his own medical plan for me!

I really wish Tramadol worked on me ... I REALLY DO.......then I wouldn't have to go to this nut job!

Hope

Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

A good internist will write Rx's for Vicodin. My dad did it all the time. It was when the patient required something stronger than Vicodin that we referred the patient to pain management.

Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic. It's not technically a narcotic, but it does work on the same pain receptors that narcotics use. I can't tolerate narcotics, and because of that I also can't take tramadol. The pain relief is not worth the side effects that come with it.

Closed Thread